Guest EXPAT

The Secret to being a good TOP

• Members

Oy. Wonder if there would be money in running a Davy Closed Captioning service? :P For those of us who prefer to watch him with the sound OFF.

Well Adam, you beat me to it once again. And what the fuck would this screeching Queen know about being a TOP ? Is this Satirical Too ? :P

Guest hitoallusa

If my master wants me too.. ^_^ I'm not sure I will be a good top though but I can do what I liked from my experience as bottom.. My impotence is going away and I can get normal erection now.. ^_^ I think I drank too much tea...

If macho/butch guys can be total bottoms, can't femme guys be tops?

• Members

I'm not quite sure I get all the hostility in this thread. Aren't you guys being just as judgmental as the late Jerry Falwell and his present day living brethren are about us? Demeaning guys for being who they are. I might understand if this was all a big put-on by Davey but I don't think so. Is that what you guys are saying? If not then I think it reflects poorly us, who have been on the receiving end of being reviled for who we are, to dish it to others of us just for being who they are.

• Members

I didn't think anyone was being hostile. DW gets these kinds of comments from his "fans" or viewers on his web site. He is a public figure who takes various positions (no pun intended) and is going to take some hits.

Likely he relishes the attention and no one is "forced" to look at his videos.

Best regards,

RA1

I agree with RA1. We have had this very discussion about Davy before. My position then as now is that he is no doubt a fine person. Well, I have no idea, but I have no reason not to think so. My dishing is specifically as critique of the style he chooses in enacting and deploying a public persona, as performer and entertainer, in a public medium.

The notion that his and our both being gay somehow puts his artistry, pageantry, or what you will beyond our right to judge it and comment on it, as performance, seems very odd.

I don't usually like to invoke the self-ghetto-ization concept, but that seems to me exactly what it would be if we were to declare his public performance work hands-off from any such comment simply because he is gay.

For the record, Ryan could do me any day. :D

Guest NCBored

I agree with RA1. We have had this very discussion about Davy before. My position then as now is that he is no doubt a fine person. Well, I have no idea, but I have no reason not to think so. My dishing is specifically as critique of the style he chooses in enacting and deploying a public persona, as performer and entertainer, in a public medium.

The notion that his and our both being gay somehow puts his artistry, pageantry, or what you will beyond our right to judge it and comment on it, as performance, seems very odd.

I don't usually like to invoke the self-ghetto-ization concept, but that seems to me exactly what it would be if we were to declare his public performance work hands-off from any such comment simply because he is gay.

For the record, Ryan could do me any day. :D

Would it bother you if someone straight called him a 'shrieking queen'?

Would it bother you if someone straight called him a 'shrieking queen'?

I think this goes back to the discussion we had here about language such as "fag" and so forth. My view is that Suckrates calling Davy a shrieking queen is not the same as someone on the street calling him that, with intent to convey discrimination, possibly hatred and even implied threat.

Others here have expressed and argued for the opposite viewpoint. I respectfully disagree.

"In community," my dissing Davy is a question of judgment and taste. I am far from disliking all shrieking-queen demeanor, just in this case Davy's particular style thereof.

Guest NCBored

I think this goes back to the discussion we had here about language such as "fag" and so forth. My view is that Suckrates calling Davy a shrieking queen is not the same as someone on the street calling him that, with intent to convey discrimination, possibly hatred and even implied threat.

Others here have expressed and argued for the opposite viewpoint. I respectfully disagree.

"In community," it is a question of judgment and taste. I am far from disliking all shrieking-queen demeanor, just in this case Davy's particular style thereof.

I agree that it is an issue of language and meaning - and 'queen' is word I've heard used most often with the intent to insult. I recognize that for others it may not have the same connotations.

Does allowing the use of certain words 'in community' relate to' self-ghettoization'?

Does allowing the use of certain words 'in community' relate to' self-ghettoization'?

That argument has been made. I don't agree with it; as posted before, my views run instead in these directions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reappropriation

...and to such as calling myself "queer" if a label is required. Etc., again as discussed here several times before, for instance:

http://www.boytoy.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11712-im-not-gay/

• Members

I'm not quite sure I get all the hostility in this thread. Aren't you guys being just as judgmental as the late Jerry Falwell and his present day living brethren are about us? Demeaning guys for being who they are. I might understand if this was all a big put-on by Davey but I don't think so. Is that what you guys are saying? If not then I think it reflects poorly us, who have been on the receiving end of being reviled for who we are, to dish it to others of us just for being who they are.

I don't see ANY hostility in this thread, just a series of comments reflecting peoples opinion and preferences. Is it judgemental ?

YES probably, but life is all about a series of judgements, sometimes good ones, sometimes bad ones, sometimes kind ones and sometimes Not. Its just as hostile NOT to allow people to express their feeling on things. Should people be forced to say nice, kind things about a guy they deem to be a schreeching Queen just for the sake of "correctness"... I think NOT. YES, people are WHO they are, but we don't have to like who they are, or suppress saying so.... As for the word "Queen", there are just certain words that conjure up the image you are trying to convey, and "Queen" is one of those words.... If its good enough of a word to associate with "Elizabeth", I think its good enough to use on Davey....