AdamSmith

Got nukes?

Nuclear weapons: Who has what?

More than two dozen countries have nuclear power, but only a few have nuclear weapons or are suspected of pursuing nuclear weapons. Click on a country below to learn more about their nuclear programs.

[sorry graphics don't copy well. Original article at http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2013/03/world/nuclear-weapon-states/?iid=article_sidebar -- AS]

• 1px.gifKnown to have nuclear weapons
  • 1px.gifSuspected to have nuclear weapons
  • key-nk.gifPursuing nuclear weapons
  • 1px.gifSuspected to be pursuing nuclear weapons*
nc-overview.gif

* Iran maintains that it is enriching uranium for civilian energy purposes only, but the International Atomic Energy Agency says Iran has not been cooperating enough for the agency to verify whether the intent is solely for peaceful means. As a result, the U.N. Security Council and a number of Western nations have placed economic and arms-related sanctions on Iran.

Country First test Most recent test Total tests Estimated warheads

United States 1945 1992 1,054 7,650

Russia 1949 1990 715 8,420

United Kingdom 1952 1991 45 225

France 1960 1996 210 300

China 1964 1996 45 240

India 1974 1998 6 80-100

Pakistan 1998 1998 6 90-110

North Korea 2006 2013 3 Fewer than 10

Israel No confirmed test No confirmed test No confirmed test 80

Iran No confirmed test No confirmed test No confirmed test 0

Sources: Federation of American Scientists, CIA World Factbook, Nuclear Threat Initiative, U.S. Census Bureau

• Members

I have a nuke but I only use it to reheat stuff or cook a few things. I suppose this "envy" has been going on since time began. Go out and sharpen a stick and pretty soon, everyone wants one. All of my adult life I have thought this to be part of human nature. Now that seems to have been further defined as likely genetic. What is the difference? I have thought that human nature was partly learned; genetic, obviously, is inherited. Can we "cure" genetic problems or situations? Some today seem to think so at least with some diseases and the first step is knowing what one is predisposed to do or be. As always, the road ahead is rocky at best.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I don't trust Iran, and the details that have come out like Iran disagreeing with what the media is telling us about the deal. It would be easier for me to post a link and just leave it at that.

Iran: White House Lying About Details of Nuke Deal

Saudi Arabia warns it will strike out on its own... *

Israel vows 'whatever is necessary' to stop Iran... *

Deal leaves few options... *

Former hostages react to Iran deal: 'like Jimmy Carter all over again ...

http://youtu.be/esaTn75ylPw

• Members

My preferred approach is to stay as far away as possible. However, for any number of reasons, that is not always possible. In 1980, at the height of the hostage situation, I was flying from Karachi to Bahrain. I took a circuitous route but still was flying very close to Iran. When on an extended trip like that, the news is very hard to come by, especially while in flight. So, all sorts of things were running through my mind as I flew past Iran. I was somewhat expecting to see US Naval aircraft at some point during this leg and perhaps they were there and I did not know it.

One point being, the world is "getting smaller" by the minute and we cannot just ignore problems. Solutions need to be, if not found, at least considered. How one may come to trust pols to do so is another topic as far as I am concerned.

Best regards,

RA1