MsGuy

Secret Treasure Pear Puffs

• Members

Why thank you, lookin. (batting my eyelids; flirty smile) You're ever so kind.

But as to the marjolaine, that's way to foo foo for me. Besides I learned a long time ago not to fix stuff that took longer to clean up than it did to eat.

stuff that took longer to clean up than it did to eat.

Excelsior!

Also stuff that takes longer to make than the payback is worth. My papa loved to recount one Thanksgiving when his prissy older sister (think Hyacinth Bucket in the sticks of N.C. in the 1930s) spent all afternoon hollowing out oranges to stuff with sweet potato soufflé and top with meringue, while his mother in the same span of time and labor cooked the whole rest of the meal for all ten or so of them.

• Members

Not that we need more to eat but I always find it interesting that "fancy" restaurants serving "fancy" food seem to add swirls of this or that to "fill up the plate". Makes me think they are serving mainly the sizzle and little of the steak.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
I always find it interesting that "fancy" restaurants serving "fancy" food seem to add swirls of this or that to "fill up the plate". Makes me think they are serving mainly the sizzle and little of the steak.

C'est possible, but I once ordered a something-or-other at a French restaurant where they put a half-dozen dots of a blueberry reduction on the plate. Like you, I thought they were just for decoration, but they turned out to be intensely flavorful bits of heaven.

My own kitchen experience was with a chicken dish I was making that called for boiling half the water out of a cup of fresh orange juice and using it as a glaze. What with one thing and another, I lost track of it and twenty minutes later found little more than an orange paste at the bottom of the pan. I used it anyway and it was outrageously tasty!

So my policy, on the rare occasions when I eat someplace fancy, is to at least sample everything on the plate.

Life-With-Mom-Week-14-Clean-Your-Plate.j

• Members

I was NOT referring to your rendition of what is no doubt a delicious dessert. I was merely describing what I have found to be true at various eating establishments. Like you, when I have found something which is delightful to the tongue and palate, I intend to thoroughly enjoy it. ^_^

Also, accidental discovery can indeed be a delight. I completely agree with you that eating "entertainment" is where you find it. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

No doubt those are turkey fries. Also included in this menu would be mountain oysters, bull fries and other delicacies enjoyed by us in the South. Although they resemble kidney beans, they are not. Even though I have gout, I cannot imagine not enjoying any or all of these at least once in awhile.

Best regards,

RA1