RA1

MH370 still a mystery

• Members

The conspiracy theories are flourishing so I hope they can find it to put it to rest (although there will always be those who will proffer conspiracy theories regardless). Here is one that I came across while casually surfing the net this morning:

Malaysia Airlines Mystery Deepens After Top Disease Experts Rushed To Indian Ocean

http://www.eutimes.net/2014/03/malaysia-airlines-mystery-deepens-after-top-disease-experts-rushed-to-indian-ocean/

Personally I think it will be found with almost certainty...it just may take years.

And not to digress, but speaking of how there is always someone out there with wild theories and/or claims, just the other day I saw a claim that it was impossible for the two airliners to crash into the twin towers: http://www.americasfreedomfighters.com/2014/03/07/ex-cia-pilot-gives-sworn-testimony-no-planes-hit-twin-towers/

Guest zipperzone

As the search intensifies for a debris field, I cannot but wonder what would be benefited from finding same.

As I understand it, the currents in that part of the Indian Ocean are so strong that any debris would probably be hundreds of miles from where the plane went down.

I can't imagine the cost of the search so far - must be in the millions (maybe 10s of millions). How much longer and how much more $$$ will countries be willing to spend?

• Members

A lot of people want closure. Obviously a body is the most proof positive means of closure but knowing the aircraft went down for sure and here or near here likely will be the best scenario in this case. Otherwise, the aviation industry wants to know as much as possible about what happened. If they can retrieve the "black boxes" that will provide a lot of important and pertinent information. If not, simply identifying the wreckage as indeed belonging to MH370 becomes the best available result.

Here I thought I was the foremost conspiracy prognosticator on this site but wayout and Parisrio 2000 are in the running. :smile:

Best regards,

RA1

Guest CharliePS

I can't imagine the cost of the search so far - must be in the millions (maybe 10s of millions). How much longer and how much more $$$ will countries be willing to spend?

Last week I read a report that the US, which is not the major player in the search, had already spent $2.5 million.

• Members

Personally, I'm not averse to speculation, however idle, or so-called 'conspiracy theories'. The fact that we humans do it with such regularity and enthusiasm suggests that there's a beneficial purpose to it. Not that there aren't downsides to it as well, but this post is about the helpful parts and understanding why we do it.

One of my favorite commentators, Dave Ross, had this to say yesterday:

Tell me I'm safe: When a really frightening news story breaks - like the missing Malaysian jet, or that enormous landslide north of Seattle - people want to hear every detail. Not so much to learn what happened - but to try to calculate the odds of it happening to them. We're waiting for that one detail that will distance us and tell us we're safe.

Until we know what happened, there's no convincing way to reassure ourselves that it couldn't happen to us. And it will continue to gnaw at many of us until we do know. So I think we swap thoughts with others to help relieve the stress.

Guest Paragon

The pilot has been studying in his home how he could hijack the plane and fly it to the most desolate place possible given the fuel on the plane. He worked hard at this for reasons we will never know. Of course, that's just my opinion, but I have read almost everything proposed on this. Other scenarios are much less plausible.

• Members

That should not take but a few minutes. You draw a range circle from the point of intended departure and then see where is the most remote. But WHY?

The captain or first officer do not need to hijack the plane, they only need to persuade or disable the other. Our on site attorneys can explain but I think technically the term is conversion. The crew had a legal right to fly the plane but, of course, not permission to fly off into the middle of nowhere and crash it into the ocean.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest hitoallusa

I found the link that talks about polar reversal..

I have seen on PBS something about micro or satellite polar shift/reversal.. Maybe that happened during the flight? But it doesn't explain why the communication devices were off though.. hmm..

• Members

Hito-

I thought your post was going to be about bi-polar conflicts not the magnetic pole reversal. Believe me, when that occurs (as it shall) we all will be completely aware of it. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest hitoallusa

Hito-

I thought your post was going to be about bi-polar conflicts not the magnetic pole reversal. Believe me, when that occurs (as it shall) we all will be completely aware of it. :smile:

Best regards,

RA1

Oh my RA1 the magnetic pole reversal could happen in small specific areas. I am simply suggesting it could explain the plane's sudden change in the altitude and getting off from its normal course. Who knows?

• Members

Not to belabor the point but we don't use magnetism for altitudes. Surely he was using GPS for navigation, which also does not depend upon magnetism but lines of position from a series of satellites.

However, there are areas of large variations in the earth's magnetic field. The ones that I have observed are near the north magnetic pole. Compasses are relatively useless in some areas near the north pole but GPS has resolved this issue.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest hitoallusa

I love guys who are into their profession~~~ Do you sweat while flying planes? I find it sexy when guys sweat while at work.. ^_^ Not in bed though since I have to worry about my bed sheets.. LOL.. ^_^

• Members

I get nervous when I don't fly. Flying is my passion and my life. It will be a sad day for me when I have to hang up my spurs. But, that isn't today. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest Paragon

A new theory is in today's Daily News, stating that perhaps a blowtorch effect occured in the cockpit similar to that which happened to an Egyptair plane in 2011. American 777's were fixed after that, but it is not known if Malaysian Air made the necessary repair. In the Egyptair flight, a short circuit caused pipes to burst into flames, engulfing the cockpit.

The cockpit of the Egyptair incident:

egyptair-b772.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/search-malaysia-airlines-flight-shifts-685-miles-cockpit-fire-eyed-article-1.1737952

• Members

Shadowing another 777. Lots of theories being advanced in the so called news + various blogs, etc. Yes, a TCAS II in standby or passive mode will depict a mode S transponder IF it is being interrogated by either an active TCAS or ATC radar. I would not be too thrilled to attempt this maneuver at night. First the turn to follow would have to be at relatively close proximity. Two aircraft of similar speed need a long time to catch one another in follow mode separated by only few miles. Yes, it might be possible but in the dark and needing to quickly get very close seems daunting.

The biggest problem with the onboard fire theory is that almost all such fires consumed the aircraft and/or made it uncontrollable in a very few minutes. I cite the FEDEX DC-10 that was on fire and landed at Newburgh, NY just in time to get the crew and 2 pax out before the aircraft broke apart on the ground from the fire. About 20 minutes total. It must have been exciting with the captain directing and urging the FO to disregard any speed limits and GET ON THE GROUND. Same scenario on the Lufthansa MD-11. About 20 minutes from fire to crash. They went in the water in NE Canada. The Value Jet DC-9 had barely taken off in FL and turned right around and went out of control before getting back to the airport. The odds are very much against a fire occurring and the aircraft continuing on, with or without the crew controlling.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

More "wild" speculation about this flight. Is it in the Maldives? Has the CIA sent it to Diego Garcia? Which terrorist group is behind all this? No one seems to really know anything but there is a lot of speculation, good, bad and indifferent.

Without a doubt it will cost a fortune to explore all possibilities and, with luck, find this aircraft or its' remains.

The good news so far is that no search aircraft or surface team has suffered serious injury or casualty.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest PasadenaCA

I suspect that in a month or two, something will wash up on a beach and et off another frenzy of activity. Based on the disparate clues, whatever happened appears to have been deliberate.

• Members

I have to think that there must be some movement by someone (whoever has authority or something like that) to make changes so that planes will be able to be tracked by emitting whatever signal will allow that anywhere on the planet (as well as altitude, etc) without anyone on board to have the ability to turn it off.

• Members

Big Brother likes you.

Nothing personal but I think there has to be some control by those in a position to actually do something if things go awry.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

On a 1 to 10 scale, with 1 being no hope at all and 10 being a certainty that they will, how do you rate the chances of them ever finding the actual plane and recovering the black box?

Personally I would have to give it a 1.

I'll give it closer to a 10. The ping analysis done by the Inmarsat folks apparently reduced the search area to about three percent of the southern arc, still a large area, but a lot smaller than a few days ago.

I'll still give it close to a 10, though it's taken a lot longer than I thought.

A possible serial number match from a flaperon that washed up yesterday on Réunion, an island in the Indian Ocean, should boost the effort to find more of the wreckage.

Although the black box will have stopped pinging by now, my guess is that it will still have recoverable data when, and if, it is found. Does anyone know for sure?