AdamSmith

Chocolate-Cola Pound Cake

This is so cornball-true-to-the-mid-South I can't resist posting it. No idea how it tastes; I may have to find out.

:sick:? :P

Chocolate-Cola Pound Cake

This rich, delicious pound cake gets Southern flavor from pecans. This type of dessert is served at many Southern family reunions and potluck suppers, writes Lisa Varner of Charleston, South Carolina. It's the perfect size for my husband and me.

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1-1/4 cups sugar
  • dollar-green2.png 3 eggs
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup baking cocoa
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • dollar-green2.png 1/3 cup sour cream
  • dollar-green2.png 1/3 cup cola
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • ICING:
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
  • 1 tablespoon butter, softened
  • dollar-green2.png 2 to 3 tablespoons cola
  • 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
Directions
  • In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and cola. Beat just until combined. Fold in pecans.
  • Coat a 7-in. tube pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; add batter. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
  • For icing, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and butter. Stir in enough cola to achieve desired consistency. Frost cake; sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 6 servings.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chocolate-cola-pound-cake

• Members

I am intrigued by your use of the term "Mid-South" which many here in the Memphis area consider our own description. I have no objection to including other brethren and happy to have you but I have never considered CHS aka Charleston, SC as anything other than the "South".

OTOH, how can anything with Coke and pecans and other ingredients of cake not taste good, at least to those who like desserts. ^_^

Please, at your earliest convenience try this recipe and let us know how well you liked it. We will be much obliged. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Southerners use Cola kinda like they use molasses...... although it sound intriguing, it also sounds TOO sweet, and although i am a dessert Pig, I dont like that extreme sweetness......

A nice N.Y. cheescake is comforting... :ike:

That too-sweet part is what I thought too. Although the amount of Coke (don't anybody even think the Other Brand :P ) in the recipe is not that much.

I'll probably make one to see. But I also agree it's hard to think of a better dessert than a NY cheesecake.

I wish you hadn't said that in fact. I want some now!

• Members

That too-sweet part is what I thought too. Although the amount of Coke (don't anybody even think the Other Brand :P ) in the recipe is not that much.

I'll probably make one to see. But I also agree it's hard to think of a better dessert than a NY cheesecake.

I wish you hadn't said that in fact. I want some now!

Instead of making a whole pound cake, why not reduce the recipe and make a few cupcakes as a Tester ?

• Members

I suppose it somewhat depends upon how you want your calories. The pound cake has lots of sugar so a few more tablespoons of cola which is sugar, flavoring and water will not make much difference. I view it mainly as a moisturizing ingredient. Cheese cake has cheese, butter, some sugar, whipping cream, etc. which are very high caloric ingredients.

Truth be told, my favorite desserts are plums, tangerines, cherries and apples. Fresh fruit makes it for me. I am not trying to be "good". That is simply the way it is. ^_^

OTOH, I like to cook and for those who like lemon pie I have a recipe that some think is so good that I am reluctant to mention in public what you would have to do for me to make you one. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

OTOH, I like to cook and for those who like lemon pie I have a recipe that some think is so good that I am reluctant to mention in public what you would have to do for me to make you one. :smile:

Best regards,

RA1

I don't like lemon pie....I love, adore, relish, etc superlatives lemon pie. Please consider sharing that recipe as I would definitely make it. You can PM if you prefer to let me know what I have to do to get it :smile:

The Chocolate-Cola Pound Cake does sound good and I will be looking for the review by AS. There is one review on it on Taste of Home, for what it is worth...."dry, dry, dry, this cake was nothing special". That wouldn't stop me from making it as it is only one review but might consider adjusting the recipe a little to make it moister if I really believed what they were saying.

Guest Schlam

Southerners use Cola kinda like they use molasses...... although it sound intriguing, it also sounds TOO sweet, and although i am a dessert Pig, I dont like that extreme sweetness......

A nice N.Y. cheescake is comforting... :ike:

If you look on the web, there are many, many, many cake recipes using Coca Cola. As I love sweet desserts, if the recipes are good, I don't think I'd have any trouble with them at all. On the other hand while I will eat cheesecake, it's not my very favorite. In fact when I go to the Cheesecake Factory to eat, I almost never have dessert. For one reason I am usually too full- but the other reason is that I am not a fan of flavored cheesecakes. If I am going to eat cheesecake, I prefer it to be a plain cheesecake but with a sweet pie filling like cherry or strawberry topping on it.

Schlam

Guest lurkerspeaks

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt' Dr Pepper the "soft drink of the south"??? How about a chocolate, Dr Pepper Pound cake?

I remember one of Jeff Foxworthy's routines going something like "If your child is running around the swap meet in nothing but a diaper, drinking Dr Pepper out of his baby bottle, you know you are a redneck"

• Members

Dr. Pepper was invented in Texas which some regard as the South, some regard as the West and some regard as the Republic of Texas, an independent nation. ^_^ I believe it is a blend of flavors taking the best of cherry Coke, vanilla Coke and others to make whatever it actually is.

Rednecks can be any where and from any where. It is a "style" of living and can be exported or imported at will. It is not exactly what FJ or others say. They exaggerate some obvious characteristics and that is funny but not necessarily all there is. ^_^

wayout-

You do not have to beg (although that can be cute) and I will PM you the recipe if you promise to share the result but not the recipe. ^_^ One slice to a friend will be enough sharing and you can hog the rest. ^_^ Just be prepared to slave for hours in the kitchen preparing this. No S&M's need apply. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

wayout-

You do not have to beg (although that can be cute) and I will PM you the recipe if you promise to share the result but not the recipe. :smile: One slice to a friend will be enough sharing and you can hog the rest. :smile: Just be prepared to slave for hours in the kitchen preparing this. No S&M's need apply. :smile:

Best regards,

RA1

I solemnly promise not to share the recipe.....and slaving in the kitchen to make something lusciously delicious is the journey that makes it all worthwhile for me ^_^

boy_scout_with_oath.jpg

• Members

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt' Dr Pepper the "soft drink of the south"??? How about a chocolate, Dr Pepper Pound cake?

I remember one of Jeff Foxworthy's routines going something like "If your child is running around the swap meet in nothing but a diaper, drinking Dr Pepper out of his baby bottle, you know you are a redneck"

Dr. Pepper is made with prune juice, as everyone in the know really knows :smile: It is an urban legend that I grew up with and to this day I enjoy tormenting my nieces, who insist on Dr. Pepper at every family gathering, with that piece of certitude. http://www.snopes.com/business/secret/drpepper.asp Not being a fan of Dr. Pepper myself, I have no issue with the myth :smile:

AAAAND we're back! :lol:

inner_topleft.jpginner_logo.jpg

What is constipation?

Constipation is a digestive disorder that affects the bowels. It can cause bloating, abdominal pain, hard stools and reduce the frequency of bowel movements.

Who can suffer?

Anyone!

Over three million people in the UK suffer from constipation every month, so the good news is you’re not alone.

• Children – a lack of the right fluids and dietary fibre can trigger constipation
  • Teenagers – fluctuating hormones and physical changes can cause sluggish bowels
  • Pregnant women – physical and hormonal changes can cause constipation
  • Menopausal women – hormonal changes can affect the bowel
  • The elderly – as you age, your body’s systems begin to slow. This can lead to constipation.

What can you do?

Eating a balanced diet with plenty of, fruit and vegetables, wholegrains, nuts and seeds will help to ensure you have sufficient fibre in your diet. This, together with enough fluid (adults usually need around 8 cups/day) and following a healthy lifestyle with plenty of exercise will set you on the right track.

SUNSWEET Prune Juice is 100% pure juice.

With no added sugar and no preservatives- just the naturally occurring sugars that nature provides. It’s made from our deliciously ripe SUNSWEET prunes, a quality prune that’s so good it has become the world's bestselling brand.

The deep purple elixir is a natural fruit juice that can count towards your daily 5 portions of fruit and vegetables, - a tasty addition to your balanced diet!

Learning about constipation

Please note that these pages are designed for information only. If you have any health concerns or issues you should discuss them with your GP.

What is constipation?

Constipation is a digestive complaint that affects the bowels. It can result in bloating, abdominal pain, hard stools and reduce the frequency of bowel movements.

Many of us know what it feels like, but how exactly does constipation begin? The colon, or large intestine, plays an important role in digestion. When food reaches the colon, some water is absorbed back into the bloodstream and through the colon's muscle contractions, waste is eliminated. Constipation occurs when the colon absorbs too much water, or when its muscle contractions become sluggish which causes the waste to move more slowly than usual. The slower passage of waste through the colon means more water is absorbed back into the body which contributes to the stools becoming hard and dry. Although the frequency of bowel movements can vary significantly between healthy people, constipation is defined as having less than three bowel movements per week.

Who suffers from constipation?

Constipation is extremely common with almost 14 million sufferers in the UK and women are twice as likely to become constipated than men. Constipation can affect anyone from any age group and most people will suffer from it at some stage in their life. However the following groups are most prone to the effects of constipation:

• Children
  • Young Women
  • Pregnant Women
  • Menopausal Women
  • Elderly

What might occur if you experience constipation?

Some common problems include:

• Fewer bowel motions than usual
  • Stools or motions become hard often making it difficult or painful to pass
  • Cramps, aches or pain in the lower abdomen.
  • Feeling 'bloated' or ‘sluggish’
  • Nausea
  • Loss of appetite
  • You may experience a feeling of incomplete bowel emptying

Long Term Effect:

If left untreated Constipation may cause piles and rectal bleeding as a result of excessive straining.

What are the common causes of constipation?

Some of the common causes of constipation include:

• Diet
    • Insufficient fibre in the diet is a common cause of constipation. The recommended daily intake of fibre for an adult is 18g per day, however the average person in the UK has a daily intake of just 12g. Fibre helps keep you regular by “bulking up” the stools which helps ease the passage through the bowel
    • Dehydration
    • Weight loss diets
    • Therapeutic diets e.g. gluten free
    • Anorexia nervosa
  • Menstrual cycle and pregnancy: About 40% of women become constipated during pregnancy primarily due to hormone changes that slow down the muscle contractions in the colon
  • Medication: Constipation is often a side effect of certain medications such as anti-depressants, codeine based painkillers, iron supplements, antacids for indigestion (especially those containing aluminium) and diuretics
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS): Constipation can often be a symptom in IBS
  • Some diseases including diverticular disease, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, colorectal cancer, haemorrhoids, hypothyroidism and diabetes.
  • Other possible causes include significant lifestyle changes such as travel, or change in diet; lack of physical activity; stress; and ignoring the very natural ‘urge’ to use the toilet- possibly because the environment does not make you feel comfortable.

How do I avoid feeling Constipated?

The good news is that most cases of constipation can be addressed through dietary and lifestyle changes, although treatment ultimately depends on the cause, severity, and duration of constipation.

To learn more about constipation and ways to treat or even prevent it, please follow one of the links below:

Keeping you Smiling on the Inside!

Who doesn't like to feel great?

But when you're irregular, everything about your day can seem sluggish. Your digestive health plays a significant role in keeping you mentally and physically fit and well. That's why maintaining good digestive health is a goal everyone feels good achieving.

Health professionals agree that the body operates at peak performance when all parts are working properly, including the digestive tract.

"Regularity," the process by which the body moves food through digestion and absorbs nutrition while eliminating waste, is a vital contributor to overall daily health.

"Regularity’ depends on having a good intlae of dietary fibre, adquate fluid, and plenty of exercise. Fibre is found in wholegrains, beans and pulses, vegetables, salad and fruits, including dried fruits such as prunes.

Having a glass of Sunsweet prune juice in the morning or adding a few juicy Sunsweet prunes to your cereal or yoghurt, is a great way to kick start the day.

To get some great tips on how to keep you smiling on the inside, download your free guide on Ten steps to Build a Healthier Lifestyle.

http://www.sunsweet.co.uk/constipationoverview.aspx