TampaYankee

7 Superfoods You've Never Heard Of

• Members

7 Superfoods You've Never Heard Of

The Huffington Post | By Alison Spiegel

n-BUFFALOBERRIES-large570.jpg

Alan Majchrowicz via Getty Images

If you were asked to name a superfood, we're betting you might say quinoa. And if you were to rattle off a few more, you might mention goji berries, chia seeds or if it was 2009, acai.

The term "superfood" is as overused as its meaning, nutritional powerhouse. Everyone's constantly on the lookout out for the next greatest miracle food that is packed with vitamins and antioxidants -- the answer to everyone's health problems. But what really is a superfood? The truth is that the term "superfood" isn't officially supported by the medical community at all. It's a marketing term... and it sure is working.

Superfoods are, according to the dictionary, quite simply "nutrient-rich food considered to be especially beneficial for health and well-being." That could qualify a lot of foods -- from the common ones we all know well, like blueberries and broccoli, to the trendy ones (ahem, quinoa and kale) to ones we never would have considered. Some we may not be familiar with at all, others we didn't know were even edible, and still others just mystify us altogether. Essentially, people are naming a whole lot of what we eat "superfoods" -- so many so that we're learning of new ones seemingly every day.

The the seven 'superfoods' and the complete article at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/30/superfoods_n_5630992.html

• Members

I'm particularly interested in the Buffaloberries. Any berry that makes a half-decent wine has got to be good for you. I like especially that it is high in lycopene, which at my age is a plus. :D I bet it makes a decent jam or jelly too.

Chlorella seems chock full of critical nutrients but looks a bit sketchy to the eye. Interesting to see if there is an acceptable way to consume it.

I've had teff. No bad tasting but the texture is a bit strange to my tongue -- tiny tiny grains wash over the tongue making it seem more of a textured paste. Nutritious, not in your nearby supermarket and pricey the last I knew.