AdamSmith

'Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's'

Hah!

Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's

Culinary experts in The Netherlands thought it was 'fresh' and 'tasty'

independent,co.uk

McDonalds myths are easy to come by and we all know that fresh, organic food is not only healthier but tastes much nicer, right?

Scroll down for video (turn on subtitles)

Wrong - at least according to Life Hunters YouTubers Sacha and Cedrique.

The pair visited the annual food convention in Houten in The Netherlands, where they asked unwitting gastronomic experts to taste samples of McDonald's food and offer their opinions on "this new, organic alternative to fast food."

Delicious, fresh, tasty and firm are just some of the adjective used by the food critics in a video posted on YouTube.

"It's nice and firm, it has a good bite," says one.

Another adds: "It rolls around the tongue nicely; if it were wine I'd say it's fine."

The foodies were then cajoled into making a direct comparison with McDonald's. Asked how the organic fare shapes up in comparison to the fast food giant, one individual says: "It's definitely a lot tastier than McDonald's, you can just tell this is a lot more pure."

And another replies: "It tastes a lot better, and the fact that it's organic is definitely a good thing. It's just better for you. The taste is a lot richer."

Sasha and Cedrique concluded: If you tell people that something is organic, theyll automatically believe it's organic.

However, some social media users have criticised the pair for tricking their interviewees, while others pointed out that there is no real difference in the taste of organic and non-organic food.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/watch-what-happened-when-food-critics-were-unknowingly-served-mcdonalds-9812768.html

• Members

1. Organic food does not have any more nutritional value than other food.

2. Likely it is not worth the money.

3. This "test" smacks of similar wine tastings where some 2 buck Chuck was judged as good as $100 bottles. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so is the taste of wine, so to speak.

4. Some European food tastes bad anyway so how would these experts know? Mickey D's may indeed be above "average" food there. However, my experience many years ago was that US franchise food in Europe was worse than the same thing served in the US. As we know, US franchises do make allowances for "local" food customs while trying to maintain the "logo" items.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

To be perfectly clear, I have had some wonderful meals in Europe. They were not at 5 star restaurants but ordinary places to eat. Of course, being hungry and far from home may make some difference. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Hipster foodies would munch out on goat droppings if you told them it was organic sun dried fruit from Papua New Guinea.

BrunoBoxerPuppy29WeeksGoatField2.jpg

On a more serious note, food scientists established a long time ago that taste is strongly influenced by context and expectations.

• Members

Many factors go into determining, on an individual basis, whether or not buying organic is worth it. Here is a decent article about that: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/organic-food/art-20043880?pg=1

I personally buy organic as much as I can because I believe it is overall better for the environment and I am willing and able to pay a premium for that belief.

I don't see anything really surprising or shocking in the results of this because we have no idea how selective the video is in the responses they are showing, the actual level of "expertise" of those sampling the food and the impact of various extraneous factors, such as someone being interviewed on film and the impact that may have on their response.

• Members

Right on the money, jgoo. :thumbsup:

No doubt our friends in the Netherlands are among the most esteemed of gastronomes, but I did happen to watch an episode of the Two Fat Ladies last week in which Jennifer opines that the Dutch are ahead of even the Americans in pushing tasteless produce into their supermarkets.

Even so, I'm pretty sure I could find something tasty and organic to eat in Holland. :rolleyes:

13.jpg