The Japanese have many specific words that name -- and, just by calling attention to, give exquisite insight into -- many different, very specific aspects of human behavior.

'Tsundoku', I learned just now, means the act of buying books and then leaving them lying around unread.

Etymology

積む (tsumu, to pile up) + (doku, to read), punning on “積んでおく” (tsundeoku, to leave piled up)

Noun

積ん読 (hiragana つんどく, romaji tsundoku)

1. (informal) the act of leaving a book unread after buying it, typically piled up together with other such unread books

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E7%A9%8D%E3%82%93%E8%AA%AD

In somewhat similar vein, an American friend who studied the Japanese language intensively for several years informs me there is a particular verb form specifically designed to mean, for any verb expressed in that form, that the action was done to oneself by someone else in such a way as to make oneself a victim of the act.

In somewhat similar vein, an American friend who studied the Japanese language intensively for several years informs me there is a particular verb form specifically designed to mean, for any verb expressed in that form, that the action was done to oneself by someone else in such a way as to make oneself a victim of the act.

Found it!

Passive sentences ( Genki II Chapter 21)

Passive Sentences

When you are inconvenienced by something somebody else has done, you can express your dissatisfaction using the passive sentence.

Basic make up of a passive sentence:

私はともだちにくるまをつかわれました。

(victim)は (villian)に (evil act).

I had my car used by a friend.

The victim is affected by an event. Marked with the particle は or が.

The villian preforms an action which causes the suffering. Marked with に.

The evil act is described with the passive form of a verb.

Forming passive verb forms:

ru-verbs: Drop the final -ru and add -rare-ru :食べる -> 食べられる

u-verbs: Drop the final -u and add -are-ru : はなす -> はなされる

irregular verbs:する -> される くる -> こられる

Passive forms of verbs conjugate as regular ru-verb.

http://wp.stolaf.edu/japanese/ressource-projects/genki-i-ii-grammar-index/passive-sentences-genki-ii-chapter-21/