AdamSmith

Inside the food industry: the surprising truth about what you eat

Guest callipygian

Some things I would rather not know.

Besides I trust the FDA to ensure all this stuff is healthy to eat. Or at least non-toxic.

Or, at the very least, not immediately toxic if consumed in reasonable quantities.

Well, MsGuy, at least you're 1 out of 3.

• Members

The Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration are better than nothing, I suppose, but how much better is underdetermined. :(

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

:sick:This won't surprise lookin or anybody else who has been in or near the food processing industry.

Inside the food industry: the surprising truth about what you eat

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/21/a-feast-of-engineering-whats-really-in-your-food

Nowise a surprise. In fact, fairly predictable when food company managers get paid on profit and not on the nutritional value of their products. With no correlation between nutrition and profitability in the food industry - in fact, some may say a reverse correlation - our capitalistic system virtually ensures a steady decline in the healthfulness of our food supply. The past half-century has brought us where we are today and it's a crapshoot where it will bring us in the next fifty years.

burger.plastic-VND.jpg

Not that I'm pimping for the replacement of capitalism, primarily because I can't think of a better system. But what I do advocate is a better allocation of costs within our current capitalistic system.

For a long time, cigarette companies found increased profit in pretending their decisions didn't worsen the health of their customers, but they eventually had to factor in more of the costs of their decisions and modified their products and their marketing tactics to be less harmful.

And, in my opinion, one of the most helpful outcomes of Obamacare is the deeper discussion and focus on how our healthcare system can be rewarded financially for actually promoting better health rather than merely trying to fix bad health. A small start, no doubt, but it's a start.

Eventually, my hope is that the food industry will find more profit in better nourishing their customers and see increased costs in promoting malnutrition. They certainly have the expertise, or at least a good shot at developing the knowhow, to put healthier food on the table. And, while government regulation is another way to get us there, many of our politicians will fight such regulations on principle. I'd very much like to see a system of cost allocation that puts the expense of caring for malnourished folks right back on the companies that feed them chazerai.

hqdefault.jpg

Once food companies become responsible for the costs of removing nutritional value from their products, it's up to them to deal with these costs better than their competitors and figure out how to make a buck by improving nutrition. If they do, their stock and compensation will go up. If they don't, they'll go out of business.

And isn't that what successful capitalism is all about?

6a00d8341cc33e53ef0162ff0e97ec970d-800wi

Guest liljohnny

Best thing to do nowadays, is live on the country side and grow your own food, not depending on noone.. You cant trust the food industry for shit... aint no tellin what s really in all those things we eat on regular! Just think bout all those rumours bout McDonalds, KFC and co