wncdemcub

Visa Application

• Members

All,

Now that I have my airline ticket, I need to work on getting my visa. I noticed on the application that they ask for a Brazilian contact. Since I'm am planning on renting a place from airbnb rather than a hotel, what is the best way to fill out this section? Do I have to wait until I have all my lodging done before getting the visa? Do the renters of these places find it alright to list their places on the application? Also since im visiting multiple cities to i need to have a contact for each place?

Any suggestions/thoughts would be helpful.

Guest tomcal

The visas are for 10 years and when they ask for a contact, it really is a formality, you could change where you are staying before you leave and that would make the information mute anyway, or you could stay at 3 different places during you trip, like I often do. So the two times in the last 14 years I had to get Brazilian Visas, I just put down the Marriott hotel even thou I don't stay there, just makes it easy, since you may not have decided on a place at the time you submit it.

• Members

All,

Now that I have my airline ticket, I need to work on getting my visa. I noticed on the application that they ask for a Brazilian contact. Since I'm am planning on renting a place from airbnb rather than a hotel, what is the best way to fill out this section? Do I have to wait until I have all my lodging done before getting the visa? Do the renters of these places find it alright to list their places on the application? Also since im visiting multiple cities to i need to have a contact for each place?

Any suggestions/thoughts would be helpful.

Many things have changed in the past few months as well as past couple of years with respect to obtaining a tourist visa to visit Brazil.

Except for one in-person visit at a consulate office, almost everything is now automated.

You no longer have to go pick up your visa/passport like you did only last year. It is mailed to you.

The section of the application that asks for a contact in Brazil is not critical for being correct, as most tourists stay in hotels and are transient. Tomcal's advice is propitious and should answer that section of the visa application.

Below is a link to the Brazilian web site that answers all your questions related to obtaining a tourist visa.

Be sure to pay attention to the section where it tells you WHERE or which consulate office to apply for your visa (based on your residency).

Please observe the warning in the visa instructions in that if you attempt to have your visa processed at the incorrect consulate office, your visa application will not be processed.

Depending on which consulate office is assigned to you, the processing time is different.

You can use an agency to obtain your visa but you are going to pay upwards of around $200.00 for their services.

Here is the link:

http://cgwashington.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visa_application_form.xml

-

• Members

A friend of my always.fills that. Line in with Rio Otho Palace, à very large hotEl, where she does not stay, and there has.never.been a.problem. It is a large. Hotel with which every is acquainted. No one checks Because It is the Othon Palace in Copa.as touristy as it gets.

• Members

I left that portion blank in the visa application I just submitted this month because I had yet to book any lodging. By the time of my appointment last week at the Brazilian consulate (here in NYC), I had booked an apartment, but could not update my application because, as Mvan1 said, everything is automated now, and the application had previously been submitted via the consulate's website. i took in a printout of my apartment reservation, along with the printout of my airline tickets, and explained to the clerk what had happened, but she returned the apartment reservation and said it was unnecessary. I hope this doesn't negatively affect my visa.

By the way, contrary to what my friend Tomcal said, not all Brazilian visas are for 10 years. The website says that the duration of the visa is at the discretion of the issuing consulate. My original visa from 2008 was for only 5 years. I had a friend who told me that he received only a 2-year visa a few years back. I have no idea what length of visa I'll get this time. And contrary to what Mvan1 said, at least in NYC, it's not standard that they mail the passport and visa back to you. The clerk gave me a receipt and told me to come back on a specific date in June. So, I think the rules will vary based on the consulate. I'd love to get a 10-year visa, but would be fine with another 5-year one. I just don't want a short 1-year or 2-year one. It's a roll of the dice at this point.

Guest tomcal

Strafe13, I think you are right! It must be up to the individual consulate or the individual handling your application! My first two visas were 5 years each and my third one was 10 years and I never was asked or requested a specific term!

My first visa that I got in San Francisco was for 90 days. I made my first trip to Rio and had so much fun decided to go again soon after. I never paid much attention to the visa dates, just assuming it was a year. Got to airport and was told expired. Shock set in. Was going thru Miami, so said I would just go stay there. When I arrived there went to AA Admiral Club and was talking to check in desk to rearrange flights and told her of expired situation. She saved my trip. Rebooked me for next night and told me to go to Brazilian consulate when they open and they will probably do a same day visa for me. I was there as the door opened and they couldn't have been any nicer. I dropped all paper work off at 9am and had new 5 year visa at 3pm . This was a few years ago and probably wouldn't happen now.

• Members

As an update to this thread, thought I'd let you all know that this time, I received a 10-year visa. My first visa was a 5-yr one. I didn't do anything different this time. I guess it really is a matter of individual discretion. Nice to know that I don't have to worry about this again until 2025. Cheers!

• Members

Same here I got a 10 year visa...the process was pretty simple just remember you have to bring a postal money order for the fee and a self addressed, postage paid us postal service flat rate priority or express mail envelope.

• Members

Around a year ago Brazil and United States made an agreement that visas for citizens of both countries would be valid for 10 years instead of 5. Of course this was not considered worthy news by American media but for obvious reasons was a big deal in Brazil, so anyone that request a visa nowadays gets 10 years (or nothing).

• Members

Same here I got a 10 year visa...the process was pretty simple just remember you have to bring a postal money order for the fee and a self addressed, postage paid us postal service flat rate priority or express mail envelope.

Just remember that the mailing back of the passport with the visa inside is not standard everywhere. Here in NYC, where I live and had to apply for the visa, the consulate does not mail them back to you, nor are there even any directions on its website pertaining to this as any kind of option. When I submitted my application and payment, I was instructed to return on a date certain with a claim ticket, and informed that if I lost the ticket, I'd have to present ID, leave it with them, and come back in a few days to pick everything up. So be sure to read the rules on the website of whichever consulate office governs your area.

• Members

As an update to this thread, thought I'd let you all know that this time, I received a 10-year visa. My first visa was a 5-yr one. I didn't do anything different this time. I guess it really is a matter of individual discretion. Nice to know that I don't have to worry about this again until 2025. Cheers!

...renewed my visa in 2011 and just looked inside my passport at the page. It's good for TEN YEARS, and I truly like its new format! ...got it in San Francisco!