mvan1

Rio - just in case you are there

• Members

-

Every year, Marriott Hotel in Copacabana offers, in its hotel restaurant, an authentic American Thanksgiving dinner, including imported cranberry sauce. I have attended there with friends several times over the years. The meal has always been excellent.

The price per person, using today's exchange rate is only a little more than $30.00 including a 10% tip added by the hotel.

If interested, you can call the hotel for the dinner hours or read this advertisement describing the dinner:

http://www.americansocietyrio.org/amsoc/newscontent.asp?id=7719

Gobble, gobble -

-

• Members

Interesting. Most of the places out of the country that I have been don't even know what US Thanksgiving is ( and according to Watter's World, neither do a lot of young US adults). However, I did celebrate "Canadian Thanksgiving" one year when I stumbled upon it in BGR (Bangor, ME).

Usually when I happened to be in a country when they were celebrating one holiday or another, I did not celebrate because I was there on business and just cooled my heels when no one did any business on a holiday. It is easy enough to have a drink and a nice meal but I usually do that anyway. More difficult to observe Boxing Day or some such which has little to no meaning to me.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I went to the the Marriott for the supper last night.

Not even close to what it was when I went in 2010.

Price was 132.00Reais 120.00Reais plus 10% service charge

Much smaller selection of items. Many items were oversalted.

Only white turkey meat available. Everything pre-sliced. No one carving.

Stuffing was too salty. Sweet potato casserole was okay.

The had some dry cold cornbread and not a zip of butter to spread over it.

I was jonesing for cranberries, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie, All were very good but would have liked some whipped cream or ice cream to top it off.

The walnut pie(not pecan) was really dry and the apple pie (in an American hotel) was terrible.

Had a bottle of Chardonay with supper. 190Reais plus 10% service. I got fucked and didn't even cum.

Across the lobby the American society down here was having their own buffet. Next time I'll go with the them. Perhaps the cost might have been less. At the minimum, more opportunities to meet some other ex-pats.

• Members

Well, BADBOY81, I'd have loved to be back in the USA celebrating the holiday with my family and friends. I normally do return for a visit in November. But until mid-January I am not permitted to travel that far by my cardiologist. In 2010, the Marriott had a wonderful spread for Thanksgiving. This year, not so much.

• Members

bb81-

You are correct about "others" preparing US food in foreign lands. I don't know why but it not the same by far. Most every US citizen if gone long enough gets a hankering for US food and tries to sooth the desire with such as KFC or McD. I remember trying KFC in England one time during such a craving and to this day have no idea what it resembled but not KFC.

Therefore I try very hard to adjust to local food and enjoy it. I do about 95% of the time.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

You are correct about "others" preparing US food in foreign lands. I don't know why but it is not the same by far. Most every US citizen if gone long enough gets a hankering for US food and tries to sooth the desire with such as KFC or McD. I remember trying KFC in England one time during such a craving and to this day have no idea what it resembled but not KFC.

Best regards,

I agree that "U.S. food" prepared in foreign countries rarely tastes the same as it does in the U.S.

However, the Marriott in Copacabana, for Thanksgiving, imports many of the ingredients (spices and turkeys) for the dinner. Even the cranberries were "Ocean Spray" brand when I was last there for a Thanksgiving dinner. I cannot vouch for the dinner of yesterday, as I was not there. However, in many prior years, the dinner was authentic when compared to the taste of U.S. Thanksgiving dinners.

Now, when it comes to other foods from American chain restaurants in Brazil (Carl's. KFC, Burger King, et cetera), I agree, there are not very good. Nonetheless, the locals like the different recipe for preparing those foods with the American name associated with it.

In the end, it depends on our tastes that build up over years.

-

This is not about Brazil, but on topic of countries mangling one anothers' cuisines: I landed in Japan one time at late dinner time, went to my hotel (in Tokyo), found the only food they were still serving was an "Italian style" buffet. Imagine an Olive Garden with the kitchen staff on a mild dose of LSD. Nothing tasted like what it looked like; obvious the cooks had no firsthand idea of Italian or even American Italian food. But my business colleague and I were both too tired to go out and find some decent Japanese food, so we made do.

I set about repairing the damage next morning with a nice Japanese breakfast of miso, seaweed, rice and pickled little eggs of some game fowl. (And thinking: compared to western breakfast of fried eggs, bacon etc., no wonder the Japanese live 100X longer than we do.)