torogen

Recommendations for Brazil currency conversion/paying in reais vs dollars

• Members

I'll be arriving in Brazil in exactly two weeks, and my question is two parts:

What is the best way/place to get reais? In Mexico, I have always found the cheapest is to simply withdraw from an ATM. You have to pay a fee no matter how you do it, but the fees for ATM withdrawal for pesos are about half what they would be at a Cambio/currency exchange. Another benefit is not having to bring a bunch of cash. One caveat is that the ATM at the airport is WAY more expensive than the one in town, so I always pay for the taxi with a credit card, since I don't always have pesos on hand. Is getting money from an ATM the best way to get reais? (And I guess a side question is: do the taxis take credit cards? If not, I guess I could ask the driver to stop at an ATM on the way to the apartment {and a second side question--is UBER still banned in Rio?}).

The other part of my question is paying garotos. In Mexico, I had several guys tell me that they wanted to be paid in dollars, and they were actually upset when I explained that I did not bring American dollars, that I only had pesos. Not sure what the reason was, but it was something I encountered more than once. Do the guys in Brazil expect reais? Is there any reason they would want dollars? I haven't seen any reference to this on the forums, so I'm just checking on this point...

• Members

What is the best way/place to get reais? In Mexico, I have always found the cheapest is to simply withdraw from an ATM. You have to pay a fee no matter how you do it, but the fees for ATM withdrawal for pesos are about half what they would be at a Cambio/currency exchange. Another benefit is not having to bring a bunch of cash. One caveat is that the ATM at the airport is WAY more expensive than the one in town, so I always pay for the taxi with a credit card, since I don't always have pesos on hand. Is getting money from an ATM the best way to get reais? (And I guess a side question is: do the taxis take credit cards? If not, I guess I could ask the driver to stop at an ATM on the way to the apartment {and a second side question--is UBER still banned in Rio?}).

The other part of my question is paying garotos. In Mexico, I had several guys tell me that they wanted to be paid in dollars, and they were actually upset when I explained that I did not bring American dollars, that I only had pesos. Not sure what the reason was, but it was something I encountered more than once. Do the guys in Brazil expect reais? Is there any reason they would want dollars? I haven't seen any reference to this on the forums, so I'm just checking on this point...

Ideally, you would arrive in Brazil with reais to pay for taxi and incidentals. If you know someone who would sell some reais to you, that would be a help. But, if you get an airport cab, you can use a credit card to pay the fare to town.

Even though changing money at the airport (GIG) has a higher fee than in town, the cost would not be anything approaching the cost of having a cab stop and wait for you at an ATM away from the airport. Therefore, you might want to consider getting some reais before leaving the airport.

In town, depending on which bank you use in the U.S. you will not be charged an ATM fee in Brazil. Your relationship with your bank (and, of course the particular bank) determines whether you will be charged an ATM fee.

When you use ATM machines in Brazil, inspect the slot on the ATM machine where you insert your ATM card. Look for a skimmer. A skimmer can capture your details from your ATM card. Some skimmers have a miniature camera attached which captures a photo of which numbers you use to enter your password. Skimmers are common in Brazil.

Check out this article about skimmers:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/

With respect to paying the garotos or other services in dollars, forget about that. In my many trips to Brazil, I have never been asked for dollars by anyone at anytime.

I recently met a garoto at one of the saunas. He had a $20.00 bill an American had given to him. He was having trouble spending it or exchanging it at stores and banks. He asked me if I could change it for him into reais. No question, the dollar is not preferred in Brazil.

You also asked about Uber in Rio.

I did not use Uber in Rio on my last trip about a week ago. However, I did use Uber in Sao Paulo. I had an excellent Uber driver and the fare was about 25% less than I pay to a taxi driver from the same starting point to GRU.

Here is an article that discusses Uber in Rio. Uber was banned for a while in Rio then reinstated but I cannot find anything more current on whether you can presently use Uber in Rio:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/judge-issues-order-that-allows-uber-in-rio-de-janeiro-1.2604334

You might look for something more current on Uber in Rio. I could not find anything since the article that I linked above.

One more thing - - despite the warnings and cautions stated above, you will have a great time in Brazil. That is a guaranty.

• Members

If you don't have any reais you can pay with credit card at the stands for pre paid taxis. There are , however, ATM machines one floor up from the arrival hall at Galleao airport in Rio. Be careful , though , several people have had their accounts hacked after using them !

The garotos want reais , although they all know the exact daily exchange rate !

Enjoy Brazil !

• Members

AWESOME answer! Thank you for being generous with your time and helping me out so much. I will get some reais at the airport probably. I also looked on google, but the only articles I found made it seem like Uber was still banned, so thank you also for that link. I'm glad the garotos don't want dollars, because I don't want to carry them. Thanks again!

Ideally, you would arrive in Brazil with reais to pay for taxi and incidentals. If you know someone who would sell some reais to you, that would be a help. But, if you get an airport cab, you can use a credit card to pay the fare to town.

Even though changing money at the airport (GIG) has a higher fee than in town, the cost would not be anything approaching the cost of having a cab stop and wait for you at an ATM away from the airport. Therefore, you might want to consider getting some reais before leaving the airport.

In town, depending on which bank you use in the U.S. you will not be charged an ATM fee in Brazil. Your relationship with your bank (and, of course the particular bank) determines whether you will be charged an ATM fee.

When you use ATM machines in Brazil, inspect the slot on the ATM machine where you insert your ATM card. Look for a skimmer. A skimmer can capture your details from your ATM card. Some skimmers have a miniature camera attached which captures a photo of which numbers you use to enter your password. Skimmers are common in Brazil.

Check out this article about skimmers:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/

With respect to paying the garotos or other services in dollars, forget about that. In my many trips to Brazil, I have never been asked for dollars by anyone at anytime.

I recently met a garoto at one of the saunas. He had a $20.00 bill an American had given to him. He was having trouble spending it or exchanging it at stores and banks. He asked me if I could change it for him into reais. No question, the dollar is not preferred in Brazil.

You also asked about Uber in Rio.

I did not use Uber in Rio on my last trip about a week ago. However, I did use Uber in Sao Paulo. I had an excellent Uber driver and the fare was about 25% less than I pay to a taxi driver from the same starting point to GRU.

Here is an article that discusses Uber in Rio. Uber was banned for a while in Rio then reinstated but I cannot find anything more current on whether you can presently use Uber in Rio:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/judge-issues-order-that-allows-uber-in-rio-de-janeiro-1.2604334

You might look for something more current on Uber in Rio. I could not find anything since the article that I linked above.

One more thing - - despite the warnings and cautions stated above, you will have a great time in Brazil. That is a guaranty.

• Members

AWESOME answer! Thank you for being generous with your time and helping me out so much. I will get some reais at the airport probably. I also looked on google, but the only articles I found made it seem like Uber was still banned, so thank you also for that link. I'm glad the garotos don't want dollars, because I don't want to carry them. Thanks again!

You are quite welcome.

If you don't find anything to confirm that Uber is working in Rio, you can access the Uber app after you clear immigration and customs and see if the little icons of Uber drivers are showing on the screen as being in the vicinity of the airport. If the icons are there, you will be able to take Uber to your destination.

Assuming that Uber is working in Rio, be sure to find out where the Uber pick up location is at GIG. If you are not at the Uber location when the drivers arrives, the driver will call the telephone number that you have listed with your account with Uber. If you don't understand Portuguese, you will have a problem coordinating your ride.

Another thing you might consider is to use a translator so that you can tell or show the driver where you want to go. If you are going to a large well known hotel, most drivers will know how to get there. If you are going to a lesser known address or an apartment you rent from Airbnb, you will need to advise the driver of the exact address. The easiest way for you and for the driver is for you to print the Portuguese translated directions so that you can show the driver where you want to go.

Boa viagem -

• Members

{and a second side question--is UBER still banned in Rio?}).

Here is the answer to your Uber question:

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-politics/alternative-transportation-controversy-continues-in-brazil/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRioTimes+%28The+Rio+Times%29

As you will see from the article (dated today), last Friday, the following occurred in Rio, relative to Uber:

On Friday, the city of Rio de Janeiro faced a gridlock with hundreds of taxi drivers blocking the city’s main roads to protest against alternative transportation services. Trips which usually take only a few minutes took hours during the morning hours, with taxi cabs blocking major highways going in and out of the city and to the city’s airports.

Initially Uber services were banned in Rio in September of 2015, but the courts overruled the ban in December, and Uber services have been operating in the city ever since.

On Monday, Rio’s Mayor Eduardo Paes told journalists that his administration would not stand for another protest as that seen on Friday. “Everyone has the right to protest, as long as they don’t block the roads,” said Paes threatening to revoke taxi licenses if a similar situation every occurs again.

According to Paes the effect of the protest was negative for taxi drivers, “Instead of the population supporting these taxi drivers, what it [protest] did was to tarnish their reputation and make the population angry at them.”

Brazilian Daniane Ikenami, who works with InterNations – a global network of expatriates – explained why she prefers using Uber, “The first time I used Uber was with a friend who was visiting Rio, one month ago. Although, I already knew about it, I wasn’t sure to give my credit card previously.”

Based on the article cited above, initially, cab drivers in Rio got sympathy because of losing customers to Uber. However, because of Friday's intentional traffic congestion and gridlock they caused with their protest (while using their cab to block highways and streets), cab drivers lost ground for their support.

By the time you get to Rio, it is anyone's guess how the Uber situation will unfold.

Stayed tuned.

• Members

Assuming that Uber is working in Rio, be sure to find out where the Uber pick up location is at GIG. If you are not at the Uber location when the drivers arrives, the driver will call the telephone number that you have listed with your account with Uber. If you don't understand Portuguese, you will have a problem coordinating your ride.

Very helpful advice. I know that in Chicago there are specific pickup locations for "ridesharing" services such as Uber, but I have been unable to find this information about GIG. I even wrote to Uber support to ask if GIG has a specific pickup area, and they responded with the unhelpful reply that they are sorry, but I am not able to schedule a pickup in advance. I know that, when you land at O'Hare, the app gives you a popup map to guide you (the pickup location is UPSTAIRS at departures, between terminals), so hopefully that will be the same at GIG. Even with specific pickup locations at O'Hare, the process is still uncertain. Twice I have had drivers themselves go to the wrong place, while I wait for them at the right place. I will definitely take Uber, and I will update this with info when I return. But if anybody has been picked up at GIG and can describe the experience/location of any designated pickup area, that would be excellent!

• Members

If your purpose is transportation from GIG to your Hotel, I suggest to take the cab, prepaid with your credit card, safe driver and very knowledgeable with you destination. The counter to pay is just outside next the exit door from baggage area. The cashier speaks little English. Last year it cost R145, it increase every year so maybe it is R160 this year. After you pay there is a guy who will assist you and even open the taxi door for your. I do this every time I go to SP. I intend to use Easy Taxi when going around. Have fun in Brazil! I will be there in two weeks!

• Members

If your purpose is transportation from GIG to your Hotel, I suggest to take the cab, prepaid with your credit card, safe driver and very knowledgeable with you destination. The counter to pay is just outside next the exit door from baggage area. The cashier speaks little English. Last year it cost R145, it increase every year so maybe it is R160 this year. After you pay there is a guy who will assist you and even open the taxi door for your. I do this every time I go to SP. I intend to use Easy Taxi when going around. Have fun in Brazil! I will be there in two weeks!

Even though your suggestion is good, the forum user has a slight problem. He wrote in his post that he has no local currency.

It is true that he can pay the cab with a credit card. However, how can he pay the porter (bell man) a tip at his hotel?

Even if the poster has only a little bit of luggage, the porter will expect a tip. That is why I suggested getting at least a little bit of local currency.

I realize that tipping in Brazil is not the same as it is in the U.S. A porter at a hotel depends on tips as part of his salary and is one of the exceptions in connection with tipping in Brazil.

• Members

Even though your suggestion is good, the forum user has a slight problem. He wrote in his post that he has no local currency.

It is true that he can pay the cab with a credit card. However, how can he pay the porter (bell man) a tip at his hotel?

Even if the poster has only a little bit of luggage, the porter will expect a tip. That is why I suggested getting at least a little bit of local currency.

I realize that tipping in Brazil is not the same as it is in the U.S. A porter at a hotel depends on tips as part of his salary and is one of the exceptions in connection with tipping in Brazil.

I am not staying at a hotel, but at an AIRBNB apartment. I also mentioned earlier that I will just eat the fees and get some reais at the airport. So I should be fine. I still may take an Uber from the airport, though. I will play that by ear when I arrive