dmontes1999

First Trip To Porto Alegre

• Members

Hey Folks,

Going to PA for the first time this summer. Very excited. Primary goal is to check out the garatos in the sauna. Maybe I'll do some sight seeing, but that's really secondary. Question: housing. Airbnb is much cheaper than a hotel, but I do see benefits to the hotel. Should I rent an apartment near Mezzaninu (making getting there and back to where I sleep real easy) or would you have other suggestions? I will be there for only 4 nights Thurs-Sun.

All suggestions (even if it's about just a good time in PA such as restaurants, cafes, cool gay non-sauna hang-outs etc) are welcome.

And thank you so much to everyone who has contributed to these forums. I have been reading like crazy and have learned so much. I don't think I could make this trip successful without all your help.

• Members

Where to stay depends on your budget. There are lots of hotel/apt style in Moinhos de Vento which is in an upscale neighborhood so you can go out take a walk during the day and next to the Park. Where I stay usually is at Mercure Manhattan Hotel, it has a gym and pool if u want to bring someone overnight to swim and buffet breakfast. Citibank is few blocks away. Not scary to walk around since there are lots of nice restaurants and small shops around. It's good neighborhood and close to Sheraton Plaza/mall. You can just take a cab to Mezzaninu. There is easy taxi app just like Uber to pick you up and take u to the sauna. Happy Trip ! I will be there in 2 weeks !

Read posts about Porto Alegre that are in the archives; recommendations and specifics about them are located there.  Just type in Porto Alegre in the search at this particular forum and read and savor until your heart is content.  I've never been but hope to in 2017; I'll use the guidance and information that's given here and proceed from there.

Prior to my going to Curitiba some years back after having gone to other places throughout this country, I used what was cited here along with my asking queries as you did, in part, and traveled and enjoyed immensely, thus having me return some 11Xs.

On April 14, 2016 at 2:38 PM, JunNJ said:

Where to stay depends on your budget. There are lots of hotel/apt style in Moinhos de Vento which is in an upscale neighborhood so you can go out take a walk during the day and next to the Park. Where I stay usually is at Mercure Manhattan Hotel, it has a gym and pool if u want to bring someone overnight to swim and buffet breakfast. Citibank is few blocks away. Not scary to walk around since there are lots of nice restaurants and small shops around. It's good neighborhood and close to Sheraton Plaza/mall. You can just take a cab to Mezzaninu. There is easy taxi app just like Uber to pick you up and take u to the sauna. Happy Trip ! I will be there in 2 weeks !

Hope you report back [in depth] so that others can read, live vicariously, and use particulars for future journeys!!!!!

• Members

Yes, I've read extensively and learned a lot. MUCH THANKS to all posters! There is a significantly more information on Rio, than Porte Alegre, but still quite helpful. And I'll definitely bring back stories for the board.

I do have a growing concern about the state of Brazil at the moment. The media is portraying grim stories, especially of Rio. Not sure if it's exaggerated or not. A recession is a bad thing and I hear it's one of the worst in a long time. But although I don't wish bad circumstances onto anyone or any country, I would think a recession would increase the number of garotos working in the saunas. This might increase selection for me, right?

Anyone been down in Rio or Porto Alegre in the past 4 weeks wanna say how the saunas were doing?