Guest Astrrro

Pope Says Saving Humanity From Homosexuals/TS

Guest laurence
I have also seen a Catholic priest I knew sitting in his car kissing a woman, yet they take a vow of celibacy and preach that adultery is sinful. It's a load of hypocritical bullshit.

Priests are human and are tempted by the flesh same as all of us. Priests do it; rabbis do it; Buddhist monks do it; Imams do it and on and on. I am talking about sin. Some lawyers are shysters, some judges are corrupt, some doctors are quacks, some police are crooks, yet they all take some sort of oath to uphold themselves to the highest standards of their office. So, let's not limit hypocrisy to the Catholic clergy.

Guest laurence
One issue I just cannot accept about Christianity is the word-for-word validity of their key texts - the Testaments. I remain constantly amazed that there are millions of people in the USA who actually believe the earth was created in seven days (yes, Ms Palin?) and that some states teach this as established fact!!. Some fool even put a date on it - around 4,600 years ago!

I was just watching a TV show, "The Lord's Boot Camp" where christian youth are indoctrinated (brainwashed) into believing some of the incongruities mentioned above.. One young woman who knew of the Big Bang and Evolution but then rejected it in favor of fundamentalist teaching. Scary.

Guest fountainhall
One young woman who knew of the Big Bang and Evolution but then rejected it in favor of fundamentalist teaching. Scary.

I think it's really 'scary'. The heartland of America is huge and most of its inhabitants have never been outside the USA. I have friends in Kentucky who thankfully don't believe any of the crap they hear. But it is preached from a zillion pulpits, many on television, and tens of millions fervently believe fundamentalist teaching as established fact. They rightly condemn religious zealots from the Muslim world, but they totally fail to realise that their views also place them in exactly the same category: religious zealots certain that the Lord is on their side.

The world has been knocked back 800 years. We are back in the time of the Crusades where mass slaughter of Muslims, Jews and Christians was justified on all sides. Where, oh where, is the voice of reason??

Guest lvdkeyes
Priests are human and are tempted by the flesh same as all of us. Priests do it; rabbis do it; Buddhist monks do it; Imams do it and on and on. I am talking about sin. Some lawyers are shysters, some judges are corrupt, some doctors are quacks, some police are crooks, yet they all take some sort of oath to uphold themselves to the highest standards of their office. So, let's not limit hypocrisy to the Catholic clergy.

The difference is that of the groups you mention only Catholic priests and Buddhist monks take a vow of celibacy. Buddhist monks don't preach that unmarried people (same or opposite sexes) who have sex will go to hell and burn for eternity. Both monks and priests are supposed to remain celibate, but ONLY Catholic priests condemn others for what they are doing. Also Buddhist monks don't condemn people for being gay, bisexual, transexual, etc. The Catholic Church does.

Besides, this thread was about the pope's statements.

Guest GaySacGuy

It is not limited to the Catholic clergy, but they sure deserve all the shit they get. They walk around in white robes acting holyier than whatever, take confession and tell people how bad they have been, and then go in the back of the church and have sex with young boys, and so they deserve all the crap that comes down on them and more.

To top it off, they don't try to correct the problem when discovered....they move it and hide id Some Church!!

Guest lvdkeyes
It is not limited to the Catholic clergy, but they sure deserve all the shit they get. They walk around in white robes acting holyier than whatever, take confession and tell people how bad they have been, and then go in the back of the church and have sex with young boys, and so they deserve all the crap that comes down on them and more.

To top it off, they don't try to correct the problem when discovered....they move it and hide id Some Church!!

As they say, "AMEN".

Guest lvdkeyes
Are priests allowed to jerk off?

According to Catholic teachings, no one is allowed to jerk off. The only sex (completion) permissible is penal/vaginal between a man and his wife for the purpose of procreation.

Guest laurence
The Pope condemns homosexuality in all it's forms, as it is "blurring gender barriers."

Slightly ironic, seeing as this was coming from a man in a dress.

Ok, back to the Pope!

Now he really doesn't wear a dress, it is a robe. Robes are common throughout the world as one will notice with Buddhists monks. Also quite common with Arabs as well as other clerics including Imams, Protestant ministers, Rabbis and so on. Also worn by academics and judges. And even presidents. Except the Pope has a lot more class or a better tailor. Sure beats that "hand-me-down" shirt that the Rev. Rick Warren wears.

post-5573-1230490675_thumb.jpg

Guest MonkeySee
According to Catholic teachings, no one is allowed to jerk off. The only sex (completion) permissible is penal/vaginal between a man and his wife for the purpose of procreation.

Probably only in the missionary position, to boot. I knew the Catholic Church was screwed up years ago when I read in the paper (in the early 70's) that the church had finally officially revoked the idea that the world was flat.

Guest laurence
I knew the Catholic Church was screwed up years ago when I read in the paper (in the early 70's) that the church had finally officially revoked the idea that the world was flat.

Really? Can you be more specific? Was the early 70's about 1470 or 470 or earlier? That's not spread unfounded rumor. Present some facts.

Guest fountainhall
Really? Can you be more specific? Was the early 70's about 1470 or 470 or earlier? That's not spread unfounded rumor. Present some facts.

Monkeysee's comment is far from unfounded rumour, and errs only in the date.

For millennia (well before the birth of Christ), scholars and astronomers had concluded the earth was round. This was not generally believed by the vast majority of the world's population, most of whom remained illiterate well into the 1800s, largely because it contradicted many statements in the Bible. The Church stuck by the biblical 'facts'. Around 500 years ago the Church's position flew in the face of all the evidence of the early navigators. And after Magellan, it became simply preposterous.

But it was only in 1992 - yes, 1992!! - that Pope John Paul II officially apologised for its mistaken position and affirmed that the earth is indeed round. In doing so, however, he declared that the scriptures were not actually wrong; they had merely been misinterpreted. :o:lol:

Guest GaySacGuy

Wouldn't you think that if you were the one that created earth that you would know whether it was round or flat?? So, why doesn't the bible, and why didn't Jesus, tell the world that the earth was round???

Guest fountainhall
So, why doesn't the bible, and why didn't Jesus, tell the world that the earth was round???

A quick google will come up with loads of references in the Bible to the earth being flat. But as far as I know, none of these comments is said to have been uttered by 'God' or Jesus. On the other hand, the Old Testament is merely a collection of myths and legends, and what we know as the New Testament was in fact decided by a small group of religious scholars several hundred years after Jesus' death. So my guess is that this group, which was to determine all of what humanity believed about Christianity, decided for their own selfish reasons that there would be no reference to a round earth. Just a gut feel.