Guest Astrrro

Air Asia Extra Baggage Charges

Guest Astrrro

It seems up to 15 kilos is only 50 baht and then it gets expensive.

Is this charge just for checked baggage or are your carry ons weighed too?

Anyone know the size requirments for carry ons?

Guest GaySacGuy

They don't normally weigh carry on baggage, but if you have something extra big, they may challenge you. The size requirements for carry on are the normal bin that you see in the airport. I undersatand that you can have one carry-on, and one personnal item. I carried on a backpack last week with no questions asked.

I think it was 15kg check in & about 5kg hand luggage.

No problem for me, as the check in was about 11.5kg & the hand luggage around 3kg.

With the warm climate & cheap laundry facilities, there's no need to bring too much clothing. Miniature toiletries save weight too.

Guest topjohn5
It seems up to 15 kilos is only 50 baht and then it gets expensive.

Is this charge just for checked baggage or are your carry ons weighed too?

Anyone know the size requirments for carry ons?

I was recently charged approximately $100 usd for being over-weight in my 2 checked bags. They did weigh my carry-on as well but it met the additional requirements which allow for 7 kilos more. You are NOT allowed 2 carry-on pieces according to their rules. Most arlines allow one carry-on plus one personal item but not Air Asia.

Here is the rule for carry-ons from Air Asia:

6.5 Unchecked Baggage

Only one (1) piece of baggage is allowed to be carried on board provided that it does not exceed the dimensions of 56cm x 36cm x 23cm and provided that it does not weigh more than 7 kg. Such baggage must fit under the seat in front of you or in an enclosed storage compartment in the cabin. Items determined by us to be of excessive weight or size or of an offensive nature will not be permitted on board.

By the way I knew I was going to be charged......(and for Thailand it is 165 baht per kilo)......

Interestingly, they do not set a size limit (nor a limit on the number of bags) on the checked baggage from what I can find (seems strange). But maybe since it is only 15 kilos and they can deny the extra weight if they want they realize that 15 kilos is not a big bag......

Also, here is Air Asia's rules for checked baggage:

6.3 Free Baggage Allowance

You may transport free of charge checked Baggage up to a maximum weight of 15 kg subject to the conditions and limitations contained in our Terms & Conditions.

6.4 Excess Checked Baggage

You are not entitled to transport baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance. If, in our absolute discretion, baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance is accepted for carriage, you shall pay a charge for the carriage of that excess baggage at the rates (please refer to Fee Schedule).

excess baggage of 15 kg and above is chargeable at the mentioned rates

rates are subject to local currency conversion

excess baggage rates must be paid at AirAsia check-in counters only

Here is the link to their entire and exhausting fee schedule:

http://www.airasia.com/site/en/page.jsp;js...ccb2f0-b6bdf4fa

Guest Astrrro

At 165 baht per kilo it seems they're really trying to catch people by surprise and make some bucks.

I really have no idea how much my baggage weighs.

Perhaps what I'll do is get it weighed on a prior Thai or Sing flight.

I wonder what those charges are? I'd also hate to call attention to the weight if Thai or Sing has charges.

I can also wear 5 Tshirts and 2 sweatshirts if that helps.

Guest GaySacGuy

I wonder what those charges are? I'd also hate to call attention to the weight if Thai or Sing has charges.

If you wish to know the weight of bags when you check in, just watch the read out when you weigh the bags...it is usally built into the top of the counter to the side of the baggage slot that you are checking in. That way you knw the weight without bringing it to anyone attention. Last week we had two bags from Vietnam to BKK....one was 13.8 and the other 16.1 and we had no problem with two of us flying. Also, some airlines print it right on your baggage claimcheck.

Guest buckeroo2
If you wish to know the weight of bags when you check in, just watch the read out when you weigh the bags...it is usally built into the top of the counter to the side of the baggage slot that you are checking in. That way you knw the weight without bringing it to anyone attention. Last week we had two bags from Vietnam to BKK....one was 13.8 and the other 16.1 and we had no problem with two of us flying. Also, some airlines print it right on your baggage claimcheck.

When I am flying internationally and the possibility exists that I may be over the weight limit for a particular bag I go to a closed check-in counter and weigh my bags and then adjust items between the 2 bags if need be. You can also do the same if you want to know your bags weight without drawing attention to the weight of your bag. Just find an unused check-in counter and weigh your bag - the weight shows digitally right there above the scale for you to see.

Guest Astrrro

Thanks for the excellent suggestions guys. I will weigh my luggage at an empty counter when checking in for my Thai Air flight in preparation for my later Air Asia flight.

As far as switching from one to another I thought that once you go through the first baggage checkpoint they put some tape over the zippers of your luggage?

Guest GaySacGuy

We should all remember that Thai air has reduced their weigh allowance on international flights as of Dec 1, 2008. The old allowance was 70 lbs. (32 kilo) and the new allowance is 50 lbs. (23 kilo). That is still quite a bit, but when I travelled from the US to LOS, I packed right to the 70 lb limit to bring more "stuff" here to my now home in Ubon.

Guest MonkeySee
We should all remember that Thai air has reduced their weigh allowance on international flights as of Dec 1, 2008. The old allowance was 70 lbs. (32 kilo) and the new allowance is 50 lbs. (23 kilo). That is still quite a bit, but when I travelled from the US to LOS, I packed right to the 70 lb limit to bring more "stuff" here to my now home in Ubon.

It seems most of the airlines have reduced the baggage allowance due to the high cost of fuel. I know American Airlines has changed its allowance. I wonder if the baggage allowance on Air Asia to either London or Australia is any different than say locally in Southeast Asia?

Guest fountainhall
It seems most of the airlines have reduced the baggage allowance due to the high cost of fuel

British Airways jumped on this bandwagon some months ago. Any bag over 23kg is charged at a fixed rate depending on whether the flight is short-haul or long-haul.

The basic issue I have is that most empty solid-shell suitcases weigh in at well over 5kgs, effectively reducing your allowance. If you then add in all the adapters, computer add-ons, chargers, etc. plus the clothes required for a trip of over, say, a week, there is no way I can get that weight down to 23kgs. If I then have to have two bags in the cargo hold, plus a carry-on, even if all have wheels, it becomes quite a handful on a muti-stop trip. And I had one trip last year with 11 stops!

I suppose the answer may be to go for a lighter canvass-type bag. In my experience, though, these do not stand up to the same degree of bad handling as the solid-shell ones. Anyone got any good ideas?

I am happy mostly not to have any problems. Because of my status i can carry mostly up to 40 kg independent from travel class. When i use other airlines i only fly from business up and can carry 30kg - thats enough for me. Mostly only have up to 27 kg for 3 weeks holidays.

Guest fountainhall
When i use other airlines i only fly from business up and can carry 30kg - thats enough for me.

Definitely not on BA and a number of other carriers - your limit in any class is 23 kgs. In business, you are allowed a second bag, and in first a third bag. But if any one bag is over that limit in any class, you have to pay the substantial surcharge.

Guest buckeroo2
Definitely not on BA and a number of other carriers - your limit in any class is 23 kgs. In business, you are allowed a second bag, and in first a third bag. But if any one bag is over that limit in any class, you have to pay the substantial surcharge.

It seems that on international flights almost all airlines allow 2 bags each totaling 23 KG - you do not have to fly business class to get a second allowable 23 KG bag.

Guest buckeroo2
As far as switching from one to another I thought that once you go through the first baggage checkpoint they put some tape over the zippers of your luggage?

That tape over the zipper was the way it was done at the old Don Muang airport. Now at the new airport as with all airports I fly through, the luggage scan is done after you finish your check-in so you have the opportunity to shift items between bags if the weight of one bag is an issue.

It seems that on international flights almost all airlines allow 2 bags each totaling 23 KG - you do not have to fly business class to get a second allowable 23 KG bag.

I start mostly in germany and we dont have the piece concept - we have the weight concept. Only exception is travelling to US but never happens with me. I travel mostly with staralliance (can have 40kg independent from class of travel) and some times with EVA (can have 30 kg in business)

Guest GaySacGuy
That tape over the zipper was the way it was done at the old Don Muang airport. Now at the new airport as with all airports I fly through, the luggage scan is done after you finish your check-in so you have the opportunity to shift items between bags if the weight of one bag is an issue.

The tape over the zipper is still done at Don Muang, as well as Ubon Ratchathani and Phuket, so serveral Thai airports still use this system.

LAX also has a very weird system, at least for the International Terminal You have you baggage weighed at the check in counter, and then have to load it back on the cart, and take it to a special baggage collection point where you leave you bags, and then go to a different window to enter the departure gate area and go through security. Real pain with two 70 lb bags, and a carry on that I was afraid to weigh.

Guest Astrrro

Flew on Thai Airways and checked two bags totaling 31.5 kilos. I also has a very small backpack which did not get weighed.

I stopped by the one of the "left luggage" counters and that's 100 baht per bag per day which is quite reasonable.

After check-in I had some time to kill so instead of going through passport control which leaves me at the mercy of the high end eateries, I went out the way I came in, went down a level and found a stand that sells sticky rice for 10 baht and three little hotdogs for 20 baht.

There is also a 7/11 or Family Mart that is only ever so slightly higher than in Pattaya.

Does anyone have any personal experience with the baggage rules for Singapore Airlines on international flights? I'm assuming I won't have any problems with two checked bags totaling 32 kilos and a small carry-on.

Guest MonkeySee
After check-in I had some time to kill so instead of going through passport control which leaves me at the mercy of the high end eateries, I went out the way I came in, went down a level and found a stand that sells sticky rice for 10 baht and three little hotdogs for 20 baht.

There is also a 7/11 or Family Mart that is only ever so slightly higher than in Pattaya.

If you are looking for a good, economical place to eat at the airport in Bangkok, there is a Thai food court on the bottom level. The food court is like you would see at Tesco Lotus or Carrefour. You buy coupons at the desk and go around and pick out what you want. The location is just past door #8 on the bottom level.

Guest fountainhall
Flew on Thai Airways and checked two bags totaling 31.5 kilos

Airlines flying to/from the US permit two checked bags irrespective of class of travel. Fly within Asia in economy and you are stuck with just a 20 kg allowance - unless the flight is connecting to or from the US. Same with flights by airlines within Europe.

When i use other airlines i only fly from business up and can carry 30kg - thats enough for me

I have a feeling the 30 kg per bag will not last much longer - at least in Europe. I seem to recall there is some EU legislation in the works to reduce the per bag limit to 23 kgs. It's something to do with protecting baggage handlers' health. With some airlines at some airports, the girls at check-in still have to lug the bags from the weigh-in to the conveyer.

Guest Astrrro

No charge for me flying Thai from Bangkok to Bali with 31.5 kilos.

A rep directing people to check in counters did not seem to understand my baggage weight questions then said 30 kilos without conviction.

At the actual check in I decided to keep my big mouth shut and there was no problemo.

Guest Astrrro

My internet connection isn't too great here in Bali so I just deleted a duplicate post.

They're moving me to the best room tomorrow that has somewhat better wifi.

Guest GaySacGuy

I just booked a flight with Air Asia, and they gave me three options on baggage

1 bag up to 15kg = 50 baht

up to 20kg = 250 baht

up to 25kg = 450 baht

They said that you save money by booking the amount now, rather than waiting to do it at the airport. Also, at BKK, if you have to pay extra, you have to go back to an Air Asia booth, pay your money, and then try to get back with receipt to same desk to get baggage claim and boarding pass.

I just booked a flight with Air Asia, and they gave me three options on baggage

1 bag up to 15kg = 50 baht

up to 20kg = 250 baht

up to 25kg = 450 baht

They said that you save money by booking the amount now, rather than waiting to do it at the airport. Also, at BKK, if you have to pay extra, you have to go back to an Air Asia booth, pay your money, and then try to get back with receipt to same desk to get baggage claim and boarding pass.

All right. It only took Air Asia one year to find a sensible way to handle the baggage charge. If they weren't such a great cost savings I would not use them. I might suggest you pay the extra fee for priority seating. It sure beats the crowding at the gate. Up-to-you.

Guest GaySacGuy
All right. It only took Air Asia one year to find a sensible way to handle the baggage charge. If they weren't such a great cost savings I would not use them. I might suggest you pay the extra fee for priority seating. It sure beats the crowding at the gate. Up-to-you.

I am only flying from Ubon to Bangkok, so seat selection will be a non issue. Any old seat for the 50 min flight. Then I am going to try the bus to Pattaya..haven't done that before.