wncdemcub

COVID Testing In Brazil

• Members

Hello all, 

I am making my first international trip since the pandemic. I have a few questions about covid testing in Brazil. 

1) I know you have to get PCR within 72 hours or antigen within 25 of you flight to brazil, but I am flying from Charlotte to Dallas to Sao Paulo. Does the clock start at your at your first flight or the actual flight to Brazil.

2) I will be going from Sao Paulo to Rio. Are covid tests requires for domestic air travel?

3) What is the PCR covid testing like at GRU airport. Is it 24/7? How fast? Long Lines? 

Thanks in advance!

• Members

For (1) see attachment below, a translation of the ordinance. There are also misguided travel information sources that indicate 24/72 hours respectively prior to date of travel. It is actually time of flight.

If you ask me, there remains ambiguity. I would prefer to arrive in Brazil within the time frame from actual swab collection, 24 hours or 72 hours, to avoid hassle. I think an antigen test in Charlotte on a Thursday and boarding in Charlotte on a Friday might pose a hassle on arrival in Brazil irrespective of remaining airside in Miami, IF swab to touchdown lapse considerably exceeds 24 hours. 

I find that the RT-PCR test confers more flexibility for unexpected time occurrences. I also do a home-based rapid antigen test the day before the molecular test to reduce the chance of an undesirable impromptu surprise. 

Also, remember to complete the Traveller’s Health Declaration within 24 hours of boarding. 
——-

D319DF37-28AD-4711-BB3F-1DE4067C90CD.jpeg

• Members

2) Not for domestic travel, ie, a completely separate short haul, say, predicated on staying in São Paulo initially. If it is a through ticket from São Paulo to Rio extending from USA boarding I think if I recall correctly you clear immigration at São Paulo so that the stopover/connection clause above does not apply within Brazil (in your case a second connection). It’s been so long since I did an immediate arrival connection, but I am fairly certain I officially entered at Terminal 3 and rushed to Terminal 2 for the domestic flight. Incidentally, arriving in São Paulo this year of a morning was very quick disembark-to-curb with COVID test/vaxx and passport checkpoints. 

• Members
2 hours ago, Riobard said:

For (1) see attachment below, a translation of the ordinance. There are also misguided travel information sources that indicate 24/72 hours respectively prior to date of travel. It is actually time of flight.

If you ask me, there remains ambiguity. I would prefer to arrive in Brazil within the time frame from actual swab collection, 24 hours or 72 hours, to avoid hassle. I think an antigen test in Charlotte on a Thursday and boarding in Charlotte on a Friday might pose a hassle on arrival in Brazil irrespective of remaining airside in Miami, IF swab to touchdown lapse considerably exceeds 24 hours. 

I find that the RT-PCR test confers more flexibility for unexpected time occurrences. I also do a home-based rapid antigen test the day before the molecular test to reduce the chance of an undesirable impromptu surprise. 

Also, remember to complete the Traveller’s Health Declaration within 24 hours of boarding. 
——-

D319DF37-28AD-4711-BB3F-1DE4067C90CD.jpeg

Good thing my pcr test is Tuesday evening so it will last past arrival in São Paulo. I am then staying there a few days so I'm good on that front too. 

any one know about pcr tests at GRU?

• Members
2 hours ago, wncdemcub said:

any one know about pcr tests at GRU?

There may be ‘method in madness’ so to speak, but why? To get a result while waiting hours way ahead of time to board same day? A commute all the way to GRU and then back to the city for the sake of a swab a day or two ahead of day of departure for USA, for piece of mind? There MAY be easier options in the city or, in fact, if you are going from Rio back to São Paulo and wish to go the molecular test route that you can obtain in Rio, rather than antigen, for USA entry, depending on layover duration in São Paulo. But beware because the turnaround time in Rio in the city is long, except for Laborlife. Obviously, I don’t know all the testing centres but stayed with Laborlife because it’s convenient and reliable. 

However, LATAM suggests CR Diagnostics at GRU and turnaround is up to 4 hours, while its branch in town Mooca is apparently 24-48 hours for results. However, I think you need to book the test ahead. It makes sense for there to be a collaboration at the airport, but all that extra time to kill pre-boarding, ugh. And pre-booking likely reduces the chances of a Hunger Games scene on walk-in basis. Stress. I would be inclined to make the commute trip to GRU but on the day before flight if bookending the last part of the trip another stay in São Paulo. Personally I’d just take the Metro. Laborlife in Botafogo is a sure thing for 6 hours (or cheaper for 12 hours) and getting that done in Rio on walk-in basis worked perfectly for a departure from São Paulo 2 days later. Timing is everything.

For antigen tests some members have suggested drugstore walk-ins but I tried for fun and was told they no longer do them; may be an artefact of approval of home RATs as of end of January. Outside of travel I expect locals prefer cheaper DIY kits they can purchase without the pharmacist doing the swab. Laborlife does offer it supervised 2 hours for results but that might be viable for a same day flight from Rio or from São Paulo if you get to GRU the same day. 

18 hours ago, wncdemcub said:

Hello all, 

I am making my first international trip since the pandemic. I have a few questions about covid testing in Brazil. 

1) I know you have to get PCR within 72 hours or antigen within 25 of you flight to brazil, but I am flying from Charlotte to Dallas to Sao Paulo. Does the clock start at your at your first flight or the actual flight to Brazil.

2) I will be going from Sao Paulo to Rio. Are covid tests requires for domestic air travel?

3) What is the PCR covid testing like at GRU airport. Is it 24/7? How fast? Long Lines? 

Thanks in advance!

(1) clock starts at first part of the flight 

(2) Not needed 

(3) I did, it is very fast, 15 min line, no booking needed, and turn around time is 3-4 hours to get results. But you have to go to the airport the day before your flight, as your do not want to arrive 6 hours in advance just to do the testing. I am shocked the US testing requirement has not dropped, there is no point in testing anymore 

• Members
6 hours ago, Riobard said:

There may be ‘method in madness’ so to speak, but why? To get a result while waiting hours way ahead of time to board same day? A commute all the way to GRU and then back to the city for the sake of a swab a day or two ahead of day of departure for USA, for piece of mind? There MAY be easier options in the city or, in fact, if you are going from Rio back to São Paulo and wish to go the molecular test route that you can obtain in Rio, rather than antigen, for USA entry, depending on layover duration in São Paulo. But beware because the turnaround time in Rio in the city is long, except for Laborlife. Obviously, I don’t know all the testing centres but stayed with Laborlife because it’s convenient and reliable. 

However, LATAM suggests CR Diagnostics at GRU and turnaround is up to 4 hours, while its branch in town Mooca is apparently 24-48 hours for results. However, I think you need to book the test ahead. It makes sense for there to be a collaboration at the airport, but all that extra time to kill pre-boarding, ugh. And pre-booking likely reduces the chances of a Hunger Games scene on walk-in basis. Stress. I would be inclined to make the commute trip to GRU but on the day before flight if bookending the last part of the trip another stay in São Paulo. Personally I’d just take the Metro. Laborlife in Botafogo is a sure thing for 6 hours (or cheaper for 12 hours) and getting that done in Rio on walk-in basis worked perfectly for a departure from São Paulo 2 days later. Timing is everything.

For antigen tests some members have suggested drugstore walk-ins but I tried for fun and was told they no longer do them; may be an artefact of approval of home RATs as of end of January. Outside of travel I expect locals prefer cheaper DIY kits they can purchase without the pharmacist doing the swab. Laborlife does offer it supervised 2 hours for results but that might be viable for a same day flight from Rio or from São Paulo if you get to GRU the same day. 

I am flying back into GRU from RIO the day before heading back to the US and was planning on just getting the test when I arrive, so I don't have to worry.

• Members
1 hour ago, babybear2 said:

(1) clock starts at first part of the flight 

(2) Not needed 

(3) I did, it is very fast, 15 min line, no booking needed, and turn around time is 3-4 hours to get results. But you have to go to the airport the day before your flight, as your do not want to arrive 6 hours in advance just to do the testing. I am shocked the US testing requirement has not dropped, there is no point in testing anymore 

Perfect thanks so much...what was the company you used at GRU

• Members
11 hours ago, wncdemcub said:

I am flying back into GRU from RIO the day before heading back to the US and was planning on just getting the test when I arrive, so I don't have to worry.

That’s a perfect strategy as you are at the airport anyway. I did it in Rio south zone because I took the bus to São Paulo centre a day before leaving from GRU. 

It will likely be CR Diagnósticos at Terminal 3 Departures. 

Make sure the person creating your case has entered your phone number and/or email correctly so there is no drama getting the results electronically.