PattayaMale

Hotter than usual weather this year

With all the other problems Thailand may face this year, this is not good news.

Hotter climate, storm surges likely

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 22/02/2009 at 03:34 PM

National Disaster Warning Centre chairman Smith Dharmasaroja on Sunday warned that this year's climate will be hotter than usual, especially in the northern, northeastern and central regions.

Speaking at the event to promote vegetarianism, Mr Smith said a very hot climate will raise the soil evaporation rate, making it difficult for farmers to grow crops and they would have to use more water for farming.

According to the meteorologist's forecast, the country may experience summer storms travelling at 40 to 50 kilometres per hour, and they could devastate households and unstable advertisement signs.

He said there would be more storm surges in the northern, northeastern and central regions following the drought season in May.

If people do not help protect the environment and alleviate global warming, Bangkok will definitely be under water by about two metres within decades, he added.

Guest GaySacGuy

The one thing I didn't understand is the "drought season in May". April, May, and June are the wetest months in the east and northeast. Compared to last season which was fairly dry, I think most of the farmers would look forward to a wet season with storm surges.

So far this year, it has been a very mild season in the east, with a warming trend just the last week or so. For Nov., Dec., Jan., and early Feb there was no AC use, with the evenings cooling down nicely. But, the last week the AC has returned!!!

Guest buckeroo2
The one thing I didn't understand is the "drought season in May". April, May, and June are the wetest months in the east and northeast. Compared to last season which was fairly dry, I think most of the farmers would look forward to a wet season with storm surges.

So far this year, it has been a very mild season in the east, with a warming trend just the last week or so. For Nov., Dec., Jan., and early Feb there was no AC use, with the evenings cooling down nicely. But, the last week the AC has returned!!!

I have found the past 3-4 weeks hot and humid and my A/C has been on all of February - I get a nice sea breeze in my unit and Dec and January were nice, breezy, etc. but all of February has seemed hot and humid to me.

Guest lvdkeyes
It rained for all of two minutes in Bangkok this morning! Sky is cloudy and seems like more might be on the way.

I don't know how long it rained in Pattaya, but the huge boom of thunder woke me up during the night. The streets were all wet when I got up this morning and it rained hard again later for about 10-15 minutes.

I just returned after being there the last 2 weeks. For me it was hot, but I was on vacation so I wanted it that way. But I just keep remembering my friends in Bangkok complaining that it was too hot for so early in the year.

Guest Oogleman

A couple of friends who have lived there for some time have been complaining its too hot.

If they find it hot I would probably find it unbearable.