t0oL1

Tourist falls into Pattaya sidewalk sewer

An American tourist was rescued from the sewers in what's often referred to as Thailand's "Sin City," after being trapped for four hours.

Johnathan Vaimaona, 36, fell into an uncovered manhole in Pattaya, around 90 miles south of Bangkok, on Friday, per Newsflare.

As he was unable to climb back out, Vaimaona shouted out for help from the underground sewage system for what felt like days, Vaimaona told Newsflare.

The stranded tourist was rescued after security officer Chalee Boonsri, 26, heard his pleas. "I was on my way to a convenience store for a drink when I suddenly heard a foreigner shouting. I looked around but didn't see anyone there," said Boonsri per Newsflare.
Rescuers and residents helped lift the drain covers and pulled Vaimaona out of the hole said to be 10-feet deep. He was shirtless and covered in sludge, and said he could not recall much of anything besides falling into the uncovered manhole, per Newsflare.

"I come from Hawaii. I fell. I was in front of the hotel and then I just came up and I don't know where I'm at," said Vaimaona, after he was hosed down and given a drink, per Newsflare.

The American tourist was also unable to recall the name of the hotel where he had checked in with his girlfriend and could only describe it as the one "with the boats," per Newsflare.

The police, however, discovered inconsistencies with Vaimaona's statements through further investigation and verifying his entry documents. The man was said to be speaking in a confusing manner, per Newsflare.

Local authorities said that more thorough investigations into the incident will be conducted, per Newsflare.

Pattaya has been dubbed Thailand's "Sin City" as it's home to a vibrant nightlife and sex industry, though officials have been making efforts to eliminate prostitution from the city, per Bangkok Post.

Pattaya Walking Street is often referred to as the city's red-light district, a place filled with bright neon lights from the many bars and clubs that line the street.

It was a lot longer than 4 hours, and I live on the road it happened. 2 years to lay a new road already. It's unwalkable, dangerous, both on foot and by car/motorbike. There have been 2 road deaths in the last month on the same stretch of road because of the dangerous conditions, and after 2 years it seems to be getting worse. 

I feel sorry for the guy, but only an idiot would be walking there. A mine field in Afghanistan would be safer. 

On 5/18/2023 at 10:33 PM, t0oL1 said:

The American tourist was also unable to recall the name of the hotel where he had checked in with his girlfriend and could only describe it as the one "with the boats," per Newsflare.

The police, however, discovered inconsistencies with Vaimaona's statements through further investigation and verifying his entry documents. The man was said to be speaking in a confusing manner, per Newsflare.

Stupid police,  what did you expect from a person  trapped for hours in uncovered manhole 10 deep fit ??? He was totally confused from this traumatic case forgot his hotel and spoked hysterical.