reader

Slow immigration procedures give Vietnam a bad rap

NOTE— On a week-long visit to Vietnam this trip, i found the immigration delays at Hanoi extremely long and inefficient (and I had a prepaid e-visa). Exit immigration was quicker but baggage check slow. Since I was traveling with a local, didn’t experience taxi scams.

From VN Express

Besides visa waivers, foreign travelers also want Vietnam to quickly fix some of its malaises that affect tourists such as taxi scams, slow immigration procedures and pollution.

The government needs to look into the overcharging by taxis drivers, especially at the airport," Jeremy Baratta of the U.S., who visited Vietnam last month, said.

"It doesn't bode well for the tourism industry when a visitor's first experience in the country is being ripped off."

He was shocked when a taxi driver charged him VND500,000 (US$21) for a three-kilometer ride, more than 10 times the normal prices.

Martin Koerner, chairman of the Vietnam Business Forum’s tourism working group, said one of the most common complaints from tourists visiting Vietnam is the long waiting time at immigration at the airports, especially in HCMC.

The procedures for both entry and exit are often "slow and inefficient," causing frustration and inconvenience for travelers, he said.

"There are no dedicated lines for women with children or seniors."

In May the government admitted the tourism industry faced major challenges like poor infrastructure, environmental issues and shortage of skilled tourism workers, adding digital transformation in tourism has been slow.

Vietnam is now striving to attract 12-13 million visitors this year.