macdaddi

Desert Eagle Barbershop + Esthetics

• Members

Something happening in Medellín is a growing resistance to foreigners. I found it increasingly difficult this year to get a proper manicure/pedicure in the city as many spas will tell you they don't offer their serivces to men (not true but what are you going to say/do?)

I found a new barbershop that I am happy to share -- Desert Eagle Barba VIP in the Mall Gran Via  (Transversal 75B #5-106 - barrio Belén) that offers a complete set of services to men in a funky and friendly environment.  They offer bar service and a pool table while you wait your turn with one of eight barbers.

Services include haircut, shave + beard services, facial exfoliation, manicures, pedicures, and waxing (ears, nose, eyebrows). Prices slightly higher than other barbershops but happy to pay to get everything done in one stop.

WhatsApp  +57 302 3427971

• Members

Both. The popularity of Medellin for remote workers and tourism is noticeable -- you see foreigners almost everywhere -- and there is growing resentment for the increased costs for housing (rental market up 20% since 2023) and food. Prices are noticeably higher this year.  When people get hit in the pocketbook, that hurts.

On 3/10/2024 at 4:18 PM, macdaddi said:

you see foreigners almost everywhere -- and there is growing resentment for the increased costs for housing (rental market up 20% since 2023) and food.

One of the cam guys warned me about the attitude towards gringos (his word) in Medellin & Bogota....

• Members

@floridarob  Here in Colombia, unless delivered with a scowl and some spittle, the word "gringo" simply means "foreigner". It is very, very rarely used as a slur (they have other words for that) and has a pretty neutral emotional value. It simply means "you are not from Colombia and you are not latino". I have had some funny conversations with black friends explaining that they too are considered gringos in Colombia.

Yes, I am aware that this is not the case for all Lain American countries. Worth a separate Discussion about other's experiences.

But back to the statement. Yes, Colombians, particularly in the large cities, are feeling fatigued by the incredible growth in tourism over the past 5 years. They have reached the point where the novelty of seeing so many foreign faces has worn off. The cost of living and food have gotten more expensive with global supply chain and fuel issues, and everyone is feeling it here. The easy calculation is to add the two realities together.

Whenever I am asked the inevitable "Where are you from?" (it will always be prefaced with some chit chat because Colombians are very formal when first meeting), I have my go-to answer ready, and you are welcome to steal this. I explain that I am part-Colombian now since I claimed refugee status to escape the inhumanity of Canadian winters, and am working towards obtaining full citizenship. That usually breaks the ice (pun intended). Yes, the language skills help, but my suggestion to anyone is that you need to be ready to help your Colombian friend connect with the human behind the gringo exterior. Once you get past that cultural hurdle, there is much to love about this incredible country.

11 hours ago, floridarob said:

Mexico City, Bali and I'm sure there are others are in the same situation...

I leave late this week for Mexico:  Zacatecas, Aguascalientes then Mexico City.

I am always friendly and smiling and don't complain or bitch about Colombia to Colombians (beyond the why are there no vegetables on the restaurant menus?  you grow the best vegetables!!

there are so many barbers, I was always welcome, and for pedicures/manicure I went to the small "house front" womens shops, they were always happy to have me and very happy because I added 5-7 peso tip.

I didn't really notice an anti foreigner attitude although everyone was unhappy with prices of everything (especially gas)

• Members
On 3/29/2024 at 10:28 PM, maump said:

for pedicures/manicure I went to the small "house front" womens shops, they were always happy to have me and very happy because I added 5-7 peso tip.

Glad that worked out for you. I stayed in Floresta/La Florida and the refusal to serve foreigners was noticeable (after 7 years here my Pasia Spanish is pretty damn good). Was refused service in the neighbourhood multiple times. Plus the biggest baber shop-chain in the city no longer offers manicure/pedicure service. So though I would share this place as they do an excellent job and full service. But I you can still access local nail salons it will be cheaper by 10-20 pesos. 

On 4/2/2024 at 11:31 PM, macdaddi said:

Glad that worked out for you. I stayed in Floresta/La Florida and the refusal to serve foreigners was noticeable (after 7 years here my Pasia Spanish is pretty damn good). Was refused service in the neighbourhood multiple times. 

I stayed in Central and Laurales (san joaquin area near CR70) .  Central very happy to see tourist money, laurales is very touristy.  would think Floresta would be good, but didn't spend anytime there..

would like to check out Manizales...