Guest josan

The Dates for the Gay Festival in Myanmar, 2010

Guest josan

Mr. KhorTose,

If you care to go to Myanmar you will find out that there is no black market in Myanmar.

In some countries

Guest josan

"since that idiot swam to her house" Yah! Right. This was NOT the first time he swam to her house! This was just the time that the government wanted to catch him!

Guest josan

Myanmar: Anyone wanting to help bring about change? Instead of standing on the outside yelling Aung San Suu Kyi why don

Mr. KhorTose,

If you care to go to Myanmar you will find out that there is no black market in Myanmar.

In some countries "black market" refers to an illegal money transaction that can result in arrest, etc. This does not happen in Myanmar. There is not a Black Market in Myanmar; just a duel money system in that there is the "official" rate of exchange, and the unofficial rate of exchange. When you exchange money at your hotel, or at any licensed money exchanger in the country as in the Central Hotel or in Aung San Market the unofficial rate is used. These are government licensed exchanges! If you exchange on the street with the non-licensed people you have to be careful as not all are honest and they will want you to go into a shop, etc. When you give a large US dollar bill to an attendant at a national park or historical area they give you change based on the unofficial rate! Both exchanges operate openly and freely, all over the country. This unofficial rate fluctuates daily just like any exchange rate and is announced each day in the news media.

I would be interested to know what the current official and unofficial rate is at the moment, but My statement still stands, there is a black market rate, and if anyone wishes to know how to safely get it, please PM me.

I stand corrected. But there is one thing I still do not quite understand and which no doubt you will clarify. You say in an earlier post –

Yet in your most recent post, you also say –

- the implication being that she cannot in fact give interviews. Or have I misinterpreted you? I just want to be clear on the matter, that's all. I do want to make a trip to Myanmar early next year and, like GB and others, I want to weigh up all the arguments before I make any decision.

Yes, you have read both post correctly. She can, in fact, give interviews. However, since the swimming incidence she was placed under arrest again, and her time of her house arrest was extended by the government. She was suppose to run in the 2010 election and she has kept her silence hoping they would reverse her house arrest. She is still hoping they do so as the speculation is now that she is ready to go abroad and fight the battle overseas.

So she can give interviews but is choosing to keep quite. Please check out the free burma web sites or the uk web site I sent you. They are not well formatted, but there is tons of information on these sites.Oh, I am wrong about that interview date. It was 1997 not 2007. If you found one in 2002 it is new to me.

Mr. KhorTose,

They employed about 80 people from getting the lumber, making the furniture,

The past US Secretary of State, Connie Rice, was so pleased with herself. Short after taking the Secretary position she gave a speech in New York

activists groups from Asian

interested in helping to bring about a change in government in Myanmar here are some ideas.

Schools are poorly funded and the staffs work out of dedication.

The street venders sell about everything educational here.

Start a business for a boy, or his family. Make him independent and teach him business.

English was one of my better subjects in college, but I am not an English teacher. I did spend a considerable amount of time helping the monks with their English lessons, and correcting their papers at the university at Chidi Luaan in Chiang Mai. I found their most common mistakes was in the use of prepositions and when to add or not add "s" and other endings to words. They also have a terrible time with punctuation, but so do all to many English speakers, so i left those and spelling errors like venders out. So just out of curiosity I started at post 51? to 53? and looked for these type of errors. Still not proof of anything, but it sure makes me wonder who this man is. Is there an English teacher out there who can tell me if this is ESl, or just high school english?

Mr. KhorTose, I am not going to reply to all of your cut and paste of the propaganda put out by the western press and the US and British government subsidized 'exile' organizations. Either you are in favor of supporting the people of Myanmar or you are in favor of supporting Western positions about Myanmar.

Did it ever occur to you that the sanction are there in order to support the people of Burma, and are not exclusive of each other.

My major concern is the Myanmar people which right now are being oppressed by three agents. First, the current military government and all of us know too well about that. As stated, everyone, I hope, already knows what the military government is doing in the country to the poor people of Myanmar.

Not everyone knows about the current military government. Why don't you speak at length and with great detail about it, that is if you dare.

Second by the West and their sanctions which has seriously damaged the economic prospects for the common people of Myanmar. Third by Aung San Suu Kyi. Aung San Suu Kyi power base until recently has been solely in the old ethnic Burmese class, and with the American and British governments. Now her base within Myanmar has split with some from her own party breaking away. The younger ethnic Burmese certainly do not support her, nor do any of the other major ethnic groups in this county. Many of the educated people in Myanmar believe that the powerful and persistent demand by Britain and America that their candidate, Aung San Suu Kyi, is only single solution to all the problems in Myanmar only complicates the whole issue, and is delaying the removal of the army from the government. Many Myanmar scholars and many Asian intellectuals view Aung San Suu Kyi as a problem, not as a solution for the future of the country.

Many of the young educated people in the larger cities blame Aung San Suu Kyi for a poor economy because of the West's sanctions, and they see her as limiting their own future. Some even ask why the sanctions should not be considered a crime against the people of Myanmar and referred to an international court.

Great,l that means there will be no problem on letting this women run in the next election. If she is so unpopular she will surely be defeated and then the west can withdraw it's sanctions. Problem solved, and I am sure you will spend a great deal of time seeing that this government makes that decision, YES?

About the Western sanctions.

I am very saddened to hear about the suffering of the Burmese people the sanctions have caused. For some reason, that seems to escape you, I am even more saddened to see thousands of Burmese killed and imprisoned by this government. You seem to think the answer is giving them more money via tourism. Sorry, but I do not buy that as they spend most of their foreign exchange now on the military and themselves. I just cannot see them adopting a new policy to provide for their people, especially when they may get people like you to do it for them.

Guest fountainhall

Yes, you have read both post correctly. She can, in fact, give interviews. However, since the swimming incidence she was placed under arrest again, and her time of her house arrest was extended by the government . . . So she can give interviews but is choosing to keep quite

She can give interviews but chooses not to. That I can understand. Your dismissal of my initial comment thus seems somewhat uncalled for - but I'll let it pass.

Oh, I am wrong about that interview date. It was 1997 not 2007. If you found one in 2002 it is new to me.

Sorry, it seems I may be right again, the more so in view of your later comment -

Thanks Fountainhall, I am familiar with all of these articles.

This is surely surprising since that BBC interview is very clearly referred to in the Daily Telegraph article I quoted and linked - and several others, including one in Britain’s Guardian newspaper dated 15 February 2010 -

Should tourists return to Burma? | Travel | The Guardian

This same article states that the 2002 quote was included on the Burma Campaign UK website. Since you referred me to that site I also checked it, and in one briefing paper it does say –

The National League for Democracy (NLD), Burma’s legitimate democratic government led by Aung San Suu Kyi, first called for tourists and the tourism industry to stay away from Burma in 1995. Their position remains unchanged today. In an interview with the Burma Campaign UK in 2002, Aung San Suu Kyi confirmed that the NLD's policy on the boycott had not changed: "The position remains the same."

http://burmacampaign.org.uk/images/uploads/A4_tourism_briefing.pdf

So her comments in 2002 seem to be pretty widely publicized – but KhorTose is not aware of them?

Interestingly (for me), the article continues –

Two other exile lobbies, Voices for Burma and Free Burma Coalition, which used to support a tourism boycott now take the opposite view. Voices for Burma also enlists Aung San Suu Kyi, though its sourcing is flimsy. Its website says: "According to a close acquaintance, not yet identified but reportedly from her party, the National League of ­Democracy, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has been quoted as saying that travel to her country can now be encouraged, provided arrangements are made through private organisations. She now believes that tourism might be beneficial, should the result of the visit draw attention to the oppression of the people by the military junta."

I checked both sites this morning. The former is undergoing maintenance. The latter is very clear that it has changed its position –

For nearly one decade, we (the FBC) organized and successfully spearheaded the anti-apartheid- style pro-sanctions campaigns.
 But after having reviewed the effectiveness of our pro-sanctions campaigns against the objective of building an open society back home, we have categorically reversed our pro-isolation advocacy. We now . . . encourage travel and tourism . . .

I know none of these organizations. It seems pretty clear, though, that there is at the very least a distinct split amongst Burmese exiles pro and against tourism. I would appreciate views on these 3 sites - Burma UK Campaign, Voices for Burma and Free Burma Coalition – and why they take different positions.

Part of this post may seem like I am nit-picking. But there are a lot of ‘charges’ and ‘counter charges’ going on here and I want to base my decision on whether or not to visit Burma on facts. It just seems that in the heat of debate a number of comments on both sides of this discussion fall short of total accuracy.

She can give interviews but chooses not to. That I can understand. Your dismissal of my initial comment thus seems somewhat uncalled for - but I'll let it pass.

Yes, I can see how you can call it a dismissal. i did not want to go into a long discussion of the politics of the moment when I said she can give interviews. I guess i should have fleshed that out then and there, but the present politics are what is happening now. Believe me I meant no slight.

No, I am not familiar with the Gaurdian quote, and will look it up. My main source of information is the "free Burma newsletter that I get, but do not memorize. I get it as a scanned document from my mail service and I usually read it and delete it.

However, you made me go to the "free Burma" web site, and not only are they calling for continuing the sanctions, but have a recent interview (4/26/2010) with Aung San Suu Kyi where she asks for the sanctions by the US to be continued.

Apparently she has given up on her thought to be in the next election or any mercy from this government. Until she asks tourist to come to Burma, I will stay away. However, if you go--and you really should--I strongly suggest you get money on the black market as this money does not go to the government, but leaves the country in a way the government cannot at this moment stop. Not only that, but where the money goes might make you quite pleased.

The main mission of the "Free Burma" society.

1) strengthen the position of the rightful leaders of Burma, 1991 Nobel Peace Prize recipient Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the democratically elected National League for Democracy, by cutting the political and economic lifelines of the ruling military junta;

Guest fountainhall

Believe me I meant no slight.

Thank you - none taken.

Since I cannot really work out what Ms. Aung's views on tourism really are now, I'll wait for further developments. However, I totally agree with one of the comments on the YouTube clip: "the woman is awesome".

Thank you - none taken.

Since I cannot really work out what Ms. Aung's views on tourism really are now, I'll wait for further developments. However, I totally agree with one of the comments on the YouTube clip: "the woman is awesome".

One of the main reasons they want to keep her locked up. I do wish she would have left Burma years ago as I think she would be far more effective touring and speaking in the Western world. There is a long piece on why she did not and what it cost here, but somehow I think she might have made a mistake by staying.

Guest josan

Ah, Mr. Khor Tose, someone just sent me a message and explained what you are talking about. The FEC requirement was done away with about 2002. Now when you arrive at the new international airport there are no currency there are not any currency requirement. The big difference between the exchange rates that you are talking about is between the government rate, used internationally, and the non-government rate that everyone in the country uses daily, including tourist.

If you have not been to Myanmar in such a long time then you should go. You might be surprised. Yangon, now the commercial capitol of the country, is no longer a small city on the river. During just the past eight years Yangon has doubled in size every two years, both outward and upward. Anyone who took the Circle Train around Yangon eight years ago went through forests and rice fields. Now you go through sprawling suburbs and new factory areas. Hundreds of young workers from all over the country have crowed into the city creating a real melting pot of the various ethnic groups. Five years ago the Internet was unknown but now there are Internet shops all over the country. Cell phone usage continues to increase rapidly. Many new privately owned businesses have opened.

I'm sorry Josan, I simply don't recognise this picture of Yangon. The military's move to Naypyidaw in November 2005 (I was there at the time and passed through the military area between Mingalardon (airport) and Htaukkyant.) proved to be a false dawn for the people of Yangon.

Safe in Naypyidaw, there was no need for the generals to protect power and water supplies to Yangon. As a result people now get between one and three hours a day of electricity which is needed to pump water. Broken gas pipes, broken Chinese generators and low water levels are blamed for the problems. The damage done by Nargis remains laregely unrepaired. Across the river in Dala and Thwante, people are dying from lack of water. The city is in a time warp, as it has been for along time, and has not been growing 'upward' to any extent.... thank goodness. Like Vientiane, being low-rise is one of its charms.

Workers in factories have been rioting because their wages barely allow them to pay for the journey to work, let alone live. Conditions in these factories are terrible. A recent fire at the main wholesale market in Yangon is causing considerable difficulties throughout the city and country. Yangon was the commercial capitol (sic) of the country before the military moved out, so that's nothing new.

Yangon has great charm, even though it has not had a lick of paint for more than 60 years, and I would encourage people to go, see for themselves.... and reflect, but please do not over-hype the place.

I do not see the 'middle class', such as it is, bringing about change since the military are too powerful. Change will have to come from within the army, which means a younger generation of officers.

Although the last 3 pages of posts have been very interesting......Is it possible to get more information on the "Gay" festival, other than a link to a tour operator.

I want to go, and would like some good practical information. I know I can find a flight, a hotel, and a taxi.........BUT I am looking for information that may not be in a tour guide book.

1. May I take a guy back to my hotel?

2. What are the laws on gay sex?

3. Is there any commercial sex available? Is it legal?

4. What is the festival like? Are there tickets to buy for different venues?

5. Can I get answers without having to read through 4 pages of political, historical, views

6. I have never been to Burma. I have never considered going because I thought there would be a solider on every corner waiting to put me in jail or up against a firing squad wall. Now I am hearing there is this wonderful gay festival???????

Is this the festival? Found on Tube:

Yes

Although the last 3 pages of posts have been very interesting......Is it possible to get more information on the "Gay" festival, other than a link to a tour operator.

I want to go, and would like some good practical information. I know I can find a flight, a hotel, and a taxi.........BUT I am looking for information that may not be in a tour guide book.

5. Can I get answers without having to read through 4 pages of political, historical, views

6. I have never been to Burma. I have never considered going because I thought there would be a solider on every corner waiting to put me in jail or up against a firing squad wall. Now I am hearing there is this wonderful gay festival???????

1. Yes

2. Illegal, but ignored. Cheap hotels may have scams.

3. No, No but you can pick up boys and make your own arrangements

4. I never attended it, but tickets are required if you wish to go to the home of the nats on Mt Popa.

5. Yes, but PM me for the best way to exchange money.

6. There are soldiers everywhere, but they are only after their own people. Many tips on buying and avoiding duty available if you PM me.

Guest MonkeySee

I am not sure I would call this a "gay festival" but it is an interesting sight to see. The festival more of a religious event. It is about 15 kilometers outside the city of Mandalay in an open field full of tents.

1. I had no problem with male guests at my hotel in Mandalay.

2. Not sure what the laws are on gay sex.

3. I have never seen any commercial sex in Myanmar.

4. The festival is free. You do need to pay for parking.

5. Yes.

6. Myanmar is very safe, although no soldiers on every corner. You need to be careful of the spies in plain clothes. Nothing will happen to you but it may be a problem for your Burmese friend.

Guest fountainhall

I would love to visit the Festival next year, perhaps as part of a longer tour around Myanmar. I wonder if any other regular posters would be interested in forming a small group?

Guest hans030

I have decided to go to Yangon the end of September with my Thai friend. He likes temples and such. I will fly Air Asia, but am now trying to find on line forms to fill out for the visa now that the Visa on Arrival has been suspended.

any info would be appreciated

This will help? http://www.myanmartravels.net/on-arrival_myanmar_visa_form%20ver2.0.0.1_may_2010).pdf

Guest MonkeySee

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information as to what went on, etc. on line on gay websites. Hope someone has some info!!!

The reason there is not a lot of information on gay websites is because it is NOT a gay festival.

Guest fountainhall

The reason there is not a lot of information on gay websites is because it is NOT a gay festival.

I am not sure if you are entering the competition, MonkeySee. If so (and I hope you are) one sentence posts won't count. So maybe you might consider adding another :)