Guest GaySacGuy

Thasksin quits as Cambodia's economic adviser.

Guest GaySacGuy

I am not sure what the effect of this will be. but I have to think that it is a good thing.

Ex-Thai PM Thaksin quits as Cambodia's economics adviser

PHNOM PENH: -- The Cambodian government said Monday that fugitive former Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra had resigned as its economics adviser -- a role that had fanned tensions between the two nations.

Phnom Penh said Thaksin, who was ousted in a 2006 coup and lives abroad to avoid a jail term in Thailand for corruption, had stepped down "because of personal difficulties in fulfilling his role completely".

The appointment, announced in November 2009, came amid strained ties between the two countries because of a border conflict over land surrounding an 11th century temple that has claimed several lives.

Guest GaySacGuy

What a surprise!! Hope this calms things a little between the two countries.

Thailand, Cambodia to restore ties

Nirmal Ghosh

The Straits Times

Thailand Monday said it would restore full ties with Cambodia after Thaksin Shinawatra had resigned as Cambodia's economics adviser

Thailand Monday (August 23) said it would restore full diplomatic relations with Cambodia, hours after Phnom Penh announced that former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra had resigned as its economics adviser.

Thai Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya said Bangkok's ambassador to Cambodia would return to Phnom Penh Tuesday.

This is from ThaiVisa.com. Full story at:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/392841-thailand-cambodia-to-restore-ties/

Guest beachlover

I'm curious... What role did Thaksin specifically play in consulting to Cambodia. What did he achieve? How much did he charge for it?

Guest GaySacGuy

I'm curious... What role did Thaksin specifically play in consulting to Cambodia. What did he achieve? How much did he charge for it?

He played the role of stirring up shit between Cambodia and Thailand. Cost..no idea, but he did get a Cambodia passport to travel on.

Guest GaySacGuy

Passport... Now that would be of significant value to him.

For on thing he can come and go as he pleases in Cambodia, and any country that they have agreements with. And, he will have a passport to travel on if and when Thailand revokes his passport...could be very valuable.

Guest fountainhall

I'm curious... What role did Thaksin specifically play in consulting to Cambodia. What did he achieve?

It was a great base where he could easily meet the Red Shirt leaders. My guess is he paid Cambodia for the privilege.