Guest GaySacGuy

Another Pedophile Arrest..Chiang Mai

Guest GaySacGuy

I am not sure how much this seems to tie into a trafficking ring, but it seems to have taken a while to make an arrest...maybe he didn't have enough money for the BIB this time.

BANGKOK

Guest fountainhall

I say, if guilty, lock him up in a Thai prison and throw away the key.

I am sure we all agree with that sentiment. However, I do think it is very important to recall a post KhorTose made some weeks ago when the Russian musician was arrested on a similar sort of charge -

The only thing worse then child molestation is the false accusation of child molestation.

For those not following the Pletnev case, he returned once again to Thailand and appeared in court on Tuesday for his fourth bail renewal hearing. This, we should remember, is a man whom many, including senior officials, said would never return to Thailand after initially being permitted to leave to conduct his orchestra in Europe. If the police and the NGO do not finally bring charges within the next 24 days, he will be a free man.

If the police and the NGO do not finally bring charges within the next 24 days, he will be a free man.

Pletnev's case isn't the same... Police or NGO don't have any proofs if Pletnev is involved in criminal. That why he 4 times already came back to Thailand to visit court without fear to be arrested.

Guest fountainhall

Pletnev's case isn't the same... Police or NGO don't have any proofs if Pletnev is involved in criminal. That why he 4 times already came back to Thailand to visit court without fear to be arrested.

I think you are wrong, with respect. His return to Thailand has nothing to do with innocence or guilt. He has already been arrested for the alleged molestation of a boy who was at the time 14 years old - an allegation which I and many others believe to be a set-up. He was granted bail. It is a condition of the bail that it must be renewed every 12 days, during which time the police are supposed to be finalising their case. The Court permits the police 6 such bail renewal hearings. Thereafter the case must go to trial or be dropped, I understand.

Let's recall that amongst the allegations made very publicly - and therefore, in Mr. Pletnev's case due to his international reputation, around the world - was that he, too, was not only involved in some sort of pedophile ring, but was one of the masterminds. The damage having been done to his reputation, that allegation, like several others, has completely disappeared.

So there certainly seem to be some similarities. Notwithstanding, I think we should all heed KhorTose's advice and wait for further details, no matter how open-and-shut such cases might seem to be.

Guest lvdkeyes

I am sure we all agree with that sentiment. However, I do think it is very important to recall a post KhorTose made some weeks ago when the Russian musician was arrested on a similar sort of charge -

That's why I said "if guilty".

Guest fountainhall

Ok, we will see... But for now I still continue to think if it was just case of some NGO's blackmailing in hopes to catch some Pletnev's money...

I suspect you may well be right. Although, from what I have heard, the NGO was desperate for a high profile case so it could get some more cash out of the United Nations, which already pumps cash into it. It seems no-one was aware of quite how high profile this one would turn out to be.

Guest GaySacGuy

The bottom line is ....It is more likely about MONEY than protection Children. Somebody wants their payoff in some form....same s..t, different day.

Guest YardenUK

......is the NGO, ECPAT?

Of course child protection is vitally important, however, I know a very well-respected author and researcher who did some consultancy with them some years ago, and he came away with the feeling that their Bangkok hub/staff see the campaign against paedophilia as being too interlinked with homosexuality.

In fact, he felt a strong tangible whiff of homophobia amongst the staff there, and this clearly coloured their outputs, which is actually quite tragic as it means they are effectively shooting themselves in the foot and not carrying out the real child protection work they ought to be doing (and doing well).

Guest fountainhall

......is the NGO, ECPAT?

I had to look up ECPAT. I am pretty sure it is not this organisation. I have also looked back at some newspaper clippings from earlier threads on this site. All I can find out is the local agency is called the "Child Rights Protection Group". I have a feeling that its actual title is more like the "Women and Children's Protection Group". Whatever the name, it is a charitable organisation based in Bangkok and headed by a senior member of Thai Society.

On the other hand, this agency will certainly co-operate with ECPAT. And from what you say, might this explain why we seem to hear more about pedophile cases involving under age boys than under age girls?