macaroni21

Beijing's oldest bathhouse

It was mentioned in a previous thread that one of the reasons the Chinese and Japanese have fewer hangups about public nudity is because these countries have a tradition of public baths. The Chinese tradition is to have baths that separate the sexes, the Japanese put everybody together.

The Thais traditionally bathe in the river while keeping their sarong on.

Here's a photo-essay from Shanghaiist about Beijing's oldest public bath.

A peek inside Beijing's oldest bathhouse

Guest fountainhall

Here's a photo-essay from Shanghaiist about Beijing's oldest public bath.

Clearly the clientele ages with the facility. I think this is one bathhouse I will avoid on my next trip!

In case it's of interest (and being relevant only in respect of the bathhouse connection), I'll repost some comments from my trip to Taipei in March last year (with a couple of small additions). A friend I met on fridae took me to one of the hot springs not far outside the city - one only for guys. The exchange rates are slighly less favourable to the US$, but not by much. I wrote -

Thanks to my new friend, I did have one new experience - a visit to an all-male 24-hour hot-spring just outside the city where all the guys walk around totally nude. No small towels like in Japanese hot springs, and no embarrassment whatever about showing your assets or your lack of fitness! We were there between about 22:00 and midnight. In that time, there were never less than 50 guys, and at one point I estimated there were more than 80. I reckoned the age range was basically 20s - 40s and many of the younger ones were in very good physical shape (after all, Taiwan still requires all young men to go through 2 years of rigorous military service). I was certainly the oldest guy there, but no-one gave a damn. My friend said about 80% of them would have been gay. Many go with a small group of gay friends.

The facility is basically one large hot pool, with two smaller and colder ones. There is also a small steam room (unfortunately with a light) but it was always jam packed, naked bodies packed very tightly against naked bodies :p . Heaven though this sounds, because the hot-spring is not 100% gay and gay guys are terrified about being known as gay, there was no ‘action’ as such. Just a little probing in the steam room and some eye-contact in the pool. I did notice that quite a few guys left together.

There are many hot-springs in this area just outside the city. Unfortunately, Taipei is not like most other Asian capitals in that there are not many signs in English; so it is far better to have a friend take you there. For those intrepid souls who like a challenge, though, it’s not that difficult. Take the subway to Shipai station on the Danshui line. When you get to street level, there will be taxis waiting. Just hop in one and show the driver the name card attached to this post. The driver will take you up a lovely winding road into the hills. As you start to smell sulphur, you will be dropped by a smaller road leading down to the right (taxi fare about US$4.50). Just wait there and a little golf buggy-type vehicle will come and take you to the spring. Entrance is about US$6.50). In the changing room, place your clothes in a small locker, put NT$20 (60 cents) into a coin slot, close it and take the key with you. They do not provide towels, so remember to take one with you for drying off before you depart. And don't take it into the bathing area - no-one else does.

The subway closes around 11:30 but the management will call a cab for you. The cost to get back into the centre of the city was around US$10. Whilst I made no contacts there, it was a fascinating experience. I found it lovely just to watch so many good looking nude guys walking around!

post-1892-027611000 1296536067.jpg

post-1892-090377800 1296536086.jpg

, the Japanese put everybody together.

Really? I'll ask a Japanese later om, but from what I remember (2 vists there-but quite some time ago) it was same sex only, or maybe it was time-separated? i mean the normal bath-areas in hostels, hotels etc., not the open-air onsen=hot springs.

Guest fountainhall
the Japanese put everybody together.

I think pong is correct. I have never seen a unisex Japanese bathhouse - not that I have been looking for one, though! If such establishments exist, then Japanese modesty would ensure a covering up of certain parts of the body.