Guest fountainhall

Oman Air via Europe and Bangkok

Guest fountainhall

For those who travel between Thailand and Europe, Oman Airlines has now jumped up to a four-star Skytrax ranking, joining Emirates and Etihad, and gets pretty much rave reviews for both its economy and business class (flat beds) products.

Comments from passengers flying this route in economy include – “Food good, plenty of drinks available. Plenty of films etc to watch or you can even plug in your own ipod. The change over in Oman is easy. Cabin crew smiling and attentive. I would have no hesitation using Oman Air again” and “Very pleased with the experience. Plenty of room in economy, comfy seats that slide down.”

Being relatively new on the BKK route, I’d expect prices to be pretty reasonable.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/oman.htm

Their business class is better than first class of some other airlines. Till end of december they had good offers for 1800 euro from Frankfurt to asia. When there are good promotions i will test it. You can see the soem pictures here >>

http://www.vornesitzen.de/sofliegensie/Oman-Air/Business-Class/businessclass/index.html

Guest fountainhall

Thanks for that useful link, atri1666. Interestingly, Oman's business class has greater space between the seats than any other airline!

It's not 100% accurate, though. Not all Finnair's fleet have 180 degree flat beds. I went to Europe a few months ago on A340s which were first generation angled-flat, and not very comfortable. Also, it seems not make allowances for the staggered pod-type seating on airlines like Emirates A380s which actually give you tons of space but does not come out well on seat plans. The chart is a great see-at-a-glance guide, though.

I used Oman twice so far (from London to Bkk and from Paris to Bkk), both economy class. Stops in Muscat were about 3 hours. Times of departure were ok (I like to fly over night, even though I can't really sleep in these chairs), and prices were significantly (more than 20%) lower than direct flights.

first post was when I went back to ERUR-on TK, on Xmas.

Came back to BKK last week, on Oman (code WY), from LHR). Have flown on at least 30 airlines Eur-SEA, so think can compare, incl all other Gulf airlines, like EK and EY and QR.

WY is not that much better-in eco (I pay myself-and mostly go for cheap)-, bar 1 thing; their Stewardesses (yes, I know thats an old-fashioned word), as they are all THAI or Phillippino! So I see their name, speak some flattering Thai with them and get the very best of attention-thats my trick.

PLane from LHR was less as half-full, so grabbed a 4-across row to sleep and lay down, great! With so few pax, speedy service too. However, I saw no strong alco, just wine/beer (for those so inclined). Good and ample meals.

the minus is also: the 3 hr wait in transit in a small and devoid of about anything airport (they have just staretd building a brand new airterminal), bus in+out there. But thats with all those Gulf airlines-QR about the worst in that respect. Omanis' are less blas'e and spoilt as their Gulfneighbors-smile and even work themselves.

Times of WY are not great: left LON same time as several direct flights (EVA-etc) and arr BKK some 5-6 hrs later as those. Even worse FROm BKK here-late march: dep BKK 6,20/.30 or so-arr LON by 17.00. And not daily.

They seem better for various LON-India connections.

Guest fountainhall

(they have just staretd building a brand new airterminal), bus in+out there. But thats with all those Gulf airlines-QR about the worst in that respect.

Only once took QR and got the benefit of a nice promotion for business class. The lounge was incredible - one of the best - but having to be bused right around the airport perimeter twice was not at all pleasant. Not sure when their new terminal will open.

If I have to have a stop, then I prefer it to be closer to Thailand or the UK, so that I have a better chance of some sleep on the longer sector. I'm waiting to see what Cathay Pacific's new Premium Economy class will be like. They often have cheap promotional fares between BKK and LHR.

I live midway between london and manchester, but find it quicker to go to man over london heathrow, i use qatar fron man routeing via dohar 13 hrs flying with 1hr 5mins stop over on the way out and 2hrs and a bit on the return leave man at 1455 arrive bkk 1145 , and on return depart bkk 2040 arrive man 0730

I dont know when you used QR but already many years is there the new premium terminal. I am goldmember and so i get always private transfer from the plane and to the plane. Lots of space to relax or take shower, good coffee and food and duty free shopping. In 2 weeks i will fly with QR again to Colombo. My first test of Sri Lanka. Already many young men wanted to hook up in GR and so will have plenty of fun.

Guest fountainhall

I dont know when you used QR but already many years is there the new premium terminal.

Sorry, having used and praised the new terminal, I should have realised I was using the wrong wording. What I meant was the ability to connect to the new terminal via airbridges from the planes. I last used the terminal in December 2010.

Guest eradesso

I too have recently noticed that Oman Air has become very aggressive with the pricing! Milan-Bkk €500 is quite nice but then again.... 25 hours for one way?!!!!! I don't think so!

Direct flights with Thai from Milan MXP are sickly expensive compared to any with a stop (we're talking 40 to 60% cheaper.

We have a semi-charter airline which was now bought out by Alitalia and it's called Blue Panorama, I love it because it has a nonstop flight to HKT average around €650/700 but both service and aircrafts are very low quality.

Other than that, the average cheapest option for Mxp-Bkk is the Indian Jet Airways last I checked for my upcoming trip was €480 but having to stop in Egypt a few days I opted for Egypt Air which is usually the second cheapest for us and having 2 connections a day to Milan reduces the lay over time.. I paid €630

I enjoy Etihad, for some reason, I always seem to get a free upgrade to first class... I accidentally and innocently line up in the first class line.... oh my gosh i'm so sorry, excuse me for wasting your time..... beat my eye lashes and show my unbelievable grey eyes.... tadaa.. those asian girls always fall for it! :p

Anyway I agree about preferring a stop that leaves a long 8 hours or so second flight.. that is the downside about Gulf Airlines.. 6 hours is not short nor long... and I always take strong sleeping pills that usually put me out for 8 hours - not for fear but because I get bored outta my brains and cant really fall asleep otherwise..