Guest fountainhall

Who Has The Perfect Voice?

Guest fountainhall

I find this article on the BBC’s website quite interesting. Following an analysis of opinions from members of the public – albeit only in the UK - a study has come up with the following -

The best male voice is a mix between actors Jeremy Irons and Alan Rickman - a splendid actor who appears in a wealth of secondary roles in movies like the Harry Potter series (Professor Severus Snape), Sweeney Todd (Judge Turpin), Perfume (Antoine Richnis). The best female voice is a mix between actors Dame Judi Dench, Honor Blackman (best known for her role on TV’s The Avengers and as Pussy Galore in one of the early Bond movies) and Mariella Forstrup, a UK TV presenter.

The results were -

- based on the combination of tone, speed, frequency, words per minute and intonation.

The (researchers) concluded the ideal voice should utter no more than 164 words per minute and pause for 0.48 seconds between sentences. Sentences themselves should fall rather than rise in intonation.

Vocal traits associated with positive characteristics, such as confidence and trust, scored highly with listeners . . .

Actor Jeremy Irons came very close to the ideal voice model, speaking at 200 words per minute and pausing for 1.2 seconds between sentences.

Professor Linn said this explained why his "deep gravelly tones" inspired trust in listeners.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7426923.stm

If I had to select my two 'best' voices, I suspect I’d pick Dame Judi Dench and Sir Anthony Hopkins. Both speak relatively slowly, but with great clarity, depth of expression and wonderfully modulated lower tones. They also have a tremendous range of expression. Jeremy Irons does little for me - perhaps because I can't forget his execrable attempt at a German accent in one of the Die Hard movies! :o I also find he barely changes the character of his voice from role to role.

I love this interview with Dame Judi Dench, Dame Maggie Smith and Charlie Rose -

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/950

The findings about speed of delivery and pauses between sentences are also interesting, I reckon, because I find many expats - especially here in Asia - make little attempt to reduce their speed of delivery when talking to those whose knowledge of English is limited. And when they do 'slow up', they tend to end up raising their voices and speaking almost as though they are talking to a baby. I have a friend who has lived in Asia for a couple of decades who still does that all the time. Speaking slowly in a normal voice and greatly simplifying sentence structure is really not that difficult.

1. Sentences themselves should fall rather than rise in intonation.

2. The findings about speed of delivery and pauses between sentences are also interesting, I reckon, because I find many expats - especially here in Asia - make little attempt to reduce their speed of delivery when talking to those whose knowledge of English is limited. And when they do 'slow up', they tend to end up raising their voices and speaking almost as though they are talking to a baby. I have a friend who has lived in Asia for a couple of decades who still does that all the time. Speaking slowly in a normal voice and greatly simplifying sentence structure is really not that difficult.

1. Quite agree. I don't care whether they fall or not but an non-interrogative rise grates with me I'm afraid.

2. To respond to your comment "Speaking slowly in a normal voice and greatly simplifying sentence structure is really not that difficult." I certainly agree and try to do that myself but inevitably I forget sometimes and speak too fast or use a 'difficult' word. When I communicate to Thai friends via email I also try and avoid using any 'difficult' words, unless accompanied by a simple explanation.

Guest fountainhall

I don't care whether they fall or not but an non-interrogative rise grates with me I'm afraid.

Better avoid SIngapore, Rogie! Singlish tends to end sentences with an upward rising "la!" which I find grating at times.

Better avoid SIngapore, Rogie! Singlish tends to end sentences with an upward rising "la!" which I find grating at times.

Singlish! I like that expression, not heard it before. Can't say I'll make a special trip there just to hear it though!

I'm not sure whether I am thinking of the same thing as yourself FH. I was thinking of the tendency for some younger people in countries such as Britain or countries such as Australia, where it's more widespread across the age spectrum, to end some of their sentences as though asking a question.