pong

to HAirAsia or Sophisticuts?

Yes-thats the AirAsia logo with just an H in front-also has a shop in ChMai and on NgamWongWan.

We talked about word games so here a few more (I like that-shows at least some ability to think and originality).

I take the bus over the river-pass the PATA dept.store and next is PO OTO-a 2nd hd cardealer. In Thai it is even more similar. Then we cross that current eternal jammed -subway works- and pass the Tesco and then LUNG KUNG (=uncle shrimp in Thai)-one of those giant openair seafood places. But wait-we'll have that drink in THIRSTday before. Or some cakes from the Breadroom. Buty there is now a new Japanese shop too=-konnichipan (konnichi wa= JPNese for goodday).

In Trat the 2nd hd bookshop is named Tratosfere.

That nice hippy/yuppie handout PAI-north of ChMai-just asks to be punned on. So there is PAIradise, PAI-in-the SKYE (now closed-the oldest bungalow operation) and also PAIradiso-a VDO on demand shop.

Even though PLU the gays always say to be so original they score low in this field. In Thai its mainly on the K-theme (the soft KH-khai=chicken, as in Kroong Thep=BKK). as its so similar to gay and also for the Thai kwoi=that thing below your belly. So there is I-C-K-the best known disco in Ram, with now see-K beside, the old and now closed former K-WHY on Ram IV (massage etc.), K-Male in Laksi. etc.

Anyone knows a few more?

Guest fountainhall

Very funny post, pong

I remember from my first days in Hong Kong seeing some similarly funny Chinese/English - like the Tai-On Construction company. In tailors' shops, it was not uncommon to see signs like "Ladies Go Upstairs for Fits". And although it was not a translation, the Beethoven Beauty Salon always raised a chuckle. Not only was he virtually the opposite of a model for a beauty parlour, his hair was always all over the place.

Texting in Thai often features 5555. 5 = 'ha', so it's like our 'LOL'. Mandarin Chinese texts often include 88, essentially meaning 'Bye-bye' because the character for 8 is 'ba' and is very similar to one that is pronounced 'bai'. Sometimes in both Chinese and Japanese you see '3Q' used. '3' in both languages is pronounced 'san' - so it's a trendy way of saying 'thank you'! I wonder if Thais also use it?

Guest thaiworthy

I'm not sure if I knows anymore, at least not until Khun Thaiworthy graciously provides a translation. :ninja:

Can't help you this time, Bob. I've lost my Enigma machine!

Guest Jovianmoon
I remember from my first days in Hong Kong seeing some similarly funny Chinese/English - like the Tai-On Construction company. In tailors' shops, it was not uncommon to see signs like "Ladies Go Upstairs for Fits".

:lol: We could have a whole thread on those kind of signs, although I suspect it's already been done? I saw many examples in Japan, including a condom vending machine with the slogan 'Happy Family Life', but otherwise my favourite is one I read about from the Cold War days, aimed at the privileged few who got to visit Soviet Russia. It may be apocryphal, but apparently there was a sign posted at Moscow Airport that read: "If this is your first visit to the USSR, you are welcome to it".

Na Zdorovye!

After reading your post, the comments and then your post again I got it. I had several expamples, but can't think of any at the moment.

In Thai, the number 8 is used to express appreciation. In camfrog, if someone likes the song that is currently playing, he writes 88888888888888. (I asked several people why it is 8, nobody could explain. Whereas 555 hahaha is well known.)