Guest fountainhall

. . . Based on Two Flying!

Guest fountainhall

I get really pissed off when airlines advertise special fares which, when you read the small print, are “based on two flying.” In other words, screw the single flyer! In Asia, Singapore Airlines is the worst offender as many of its promotions have this condition.

Since I sometimes fly easyJet in Europe, I still get emails with its various promotions. Maybe I have never looked in detail before, but I note that today’s email about “Amazing City Escapes and More” has most of the illustrated prices “based on 2 flying.”

I think it is a disgraceful insult to people who, for whatever reason, are single and wish to fly solo. Of course with a full service carrier like SIA, its objective is to ensure passengers flying on business have to pay a higher fare. But an lcc Like easyJet?

I think it is a disgraceful insult to people who, for whatever reason, are single and wish to fly solo.

I agree, if it's just the flight and the special fare deal is being advertised by the airline itself.

Understandably travel companies or organisations that cater for a package, eg. flight + hotel + hire car may stipulate an advertised 'special deal' is for two flying/sharing, mainly because accommodation is often skewed in favour of couples.

Of course with a full service carrier like SIA, its objective is to ensure passengers flying on business have to pay a higher fare. But an lcc Like easyJet?

Don't quite follow your reasoining there FH. Why would a full sevice carrier not play fair with the single flyer? Surely he is the last person they want to alienate?

Guest fountainhall

It's less a case of playing fair with the single traveller as making sure business travellers pay more. The airlines reason that a majority of business travellers fly solo. Since many companies have downsized travel budgets, their employees have to travel economy rather then business or premium economy. These guys usually have to travel and don't have much flexibility. So the airlines want the most cash out of them as possible.

"Pair" fares are usually special limited time promotions aimed at leisure travellers. The airlines don't want business travellers downsizing even more to the cheapest possible fare!

In the old days in Europe, this used to manifest itself as the Saturday night rule. The cheapest fares were never available unless you spent at least a Saturday night at the destination. Since most business travellers wanted to be home for the week-ends, they'd be flying back to base on a Friday evening or Saturday morning. Hence, they'd have to pay higher fares.

The airline pricing business is a total minefield. I have a friend in Cathay Pacific who used to be the station manager in Singapore. He told me that at that time before internet booking, there were no less than 300 different fares for the Singapore/Hong Kong sector - a distance of just 2,500 kms!! Of course, passengers were only aware of a few, but there were over 250 fares available to other airlines as interline add-on fares!

I think it is a disgraceful insult to people who, for whatever reason, are single and wish to fly solo. Of course with a full service carrier like SIA, its objective is to ensure passengers flying on business have to pay a higher fare.

Don't quite follow your reasoining there FH. Why would a full sevice carrier not play fair with the single flyer? Surely he is the last person they want to alienate?

It's less a case of playing fair with the single traveller as making sure business travellers pay more. The airlines reason that a majority of business travellers fly solo. Since many companies have downsized travel budgets, their employees have to travel economy rather then business or premium economy. These guys usually have to travel and don't have much flexibility. So the airlines want the most cash out of them as possible.

Thanks. I got confused and thought you meant business travellers flying business having to pay a higher fare, but you meant business travellers who were flying economy. <_<