Rogie

Those magificent THAI's in their flying machines

Taken from Today's Bangkok Post Life section

Karnjana Karnjanatawe writing in Think Box:

When Sorajak Kasemsuvan, THAI's president, announced last week that he would bring back glory for Thailand's flag carrier and introduce its best-ever products next year, I wanted to hear something more. Something a little more aggressive such as making THAI one of the top three airlines in the world.

THAI was recently placed ninth in the World's Best Airline of the Year, dropping from fifth place last year and from fourth in 2008, according to Skytrax's annual worldwide passenger satisfaction survey. THAI is not even listed among the top 10 Best Airline Cabins for first and business classes. Even for food, which was once the pride of THAI, our national airline failed to reach the top 10 for first and business classes, having to console itself with fifth place for economy class.

Emirates has an onboard business-class lounge, while THAI decided to take out the facility and install more economy-class seats. THAI offers a total of 507 seats, while the total capacity for Emirates is 489 seats for all three cabin types.

THAI chose to install a small bar corner in its first class cabin, which has only a dozen seats, while Singapore Airlines, which has a total of 471 passenger seats, boasts 12 first class suites which each have a sliding door to give passengers more privacy. The Lion City's national carrier also offers VIP cabins with double beds.

The latest annual Business Traveller Airline survey found that the seat width of THAI's economy class cabin is little better than that of low-cost carriers. The survey covered seat facilities of 32 airlines and THAI ranked second from bottom. For the widest leg room, Cathay Pacific and Singapore topped the chart while THAI ranked sixth.

and she concludes by saying:

THAI needs to work harder to win back passengers and I think the term of the new president will not be as smooth as silk.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/323240/thai-flying-in-the-face-of-progress

I have to give Thai Airways kudos for dealing with my lost luggage. I flew from Detroit this past Tuesday. LH DTW-FRA-ROM and on to BKK on Thai. The flight from FRA to ROM had a normal connection of only 50 min, but we were 45 min late departing FRA. I made the TG flight as the doors were closing. My luggage didn't. When I got to BKK I went to baggage service. They took all my travel details. I went on to Chiang Mai with only the clothes I as wearing, so I bought a few things. I got a text msg from Thai on the morning I was departing back to BKK (2 days after arriving). My luggage had arrived and would be waiting for me at baggage service when I arrived in BKK. When I picked up my luggage I mentioned the purchases I had to make. I was given a form to complete - name, permanent address, passport #, flight #/date and signature. I handed it back to the TG representative, and a few moments later I was handed an envelope with 5,000 Bht. If it was my home carrier, Delta, I would anticipate a 6-8 weeks wait for processing, IF I could prove my purchases with proper receipts.