Guest travelerjim

Proof of Medical Insurance proposed for Retirement Visas & more...

Guest travelerjim

Here's a topic of much concern for retirees and expats on 1 year retirement visas...
Thailand is losing BIG amounts of Thai baht in the medical care & treatment of expat retirees...
What is the solution?

Proof Of Medical Insurance Proposed For 1 Year Visa
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/637 ... n=featured

http://pattaya-today.com/news/news-from ... -tourists/

The government is considering forcing foreigners to buy health insurance before traveling to Thailand.

Public health minister Pradit Sinthawanarong said that 2.5 million foreigners out of a total of 22 million visitors appeared at Thai hospitals last year, but a significant minority were unable to pay which resulted in a financial burden for local hospitals. He explained that the main problems concerned foreigners hospitalized in emergencies, especially traffic accidents and heart attacks, and the costs associated with taking care of corpses, particularly autopsies and cold storage.

The situation is particularly acute in tourist-dominated resorts. The state-run Banglamung Hospital, near Pattaya, estimated that unpaid bills from foreigners amounted to 2 million baht in 2012. The government Vachira Phuket Hospital claims that free treatment for foreigners is costing them 3 million baht a year. Total costs nationwide are in the region of 70 million baht annually.

As regards older expats on one year visas, the most likely outcome is that applications will need to be accompanied by valid medical insurance or proof of a greater income or cash deposits than is currently required (800,000 baht for a retiree visa and 400,000 for a farang with a Thai spouse).

A spokesperson for the Immigration Bureau said there were no imminent financial changes to the one-year visa rules, but the matter is under review. In the 1990s, he explained, there was a requirement to provide a certificate of good health before a long-stay visa was granted. “The rule was dropped because the letters were often issued after a very cursory medical examination or no examination at all.”

(see articles/links for complete news release)

tj

Guest fountainhall

jim - if the government does in fact introduce some form of mandatory medical insurance for those expats retired here on one-year visas, what should someone who might be over 65 and presently has neither insurance nor any extra cash requirement do about it? Is any kind of medical insurance available to over 65s?

I won't hold my breath waiting for a decision on this issue.  If it's like most ideas they come up with, it'll just fade away.

But, should they do something, I'd hope that they don't make some blanket rule that applies to everyone regardless of circumstances.  For example only, those who are keeping 800K in a Thai bank to maintain their annual visa ought (probably) not to be considered as being unable to pay for medical care here. 

There are a whole lot of falang here who are either without any visas at all or who uses various cheating methods to qualify for long-term visas and it'd be my guess that it's this target group that's running up the medical bills (presuming that the Thai government's report about the cost amount is anywhere near accurate in the first place).

Oh well, they'll probably get around to this topic again once they finish intelligent flood prevention measures in Bangkok.....

Guest travelerjim

jim - if the government does in fact introduce some form of mandatory medical insurance for those expats retired here on one-year visas, what should someone who might be over 65 and presently has neither insurance nor any extra cash requirement do about it? Is any kind of medical insurance available to over 65s?

fountainhall,

There are several health insurance policies available to those over 65+....upon issue, they would have the usual pre-existing conditions exclusions. Yet, they do pay for other medical problems which occur.

With cost of care in Thailand currently reasonable in costs, an Expat needs at least a minimum of US $100k or even $50k in coverage at age 70+ ....the entire issue of medical insurance is a challenge for all...including the Thai government and hospitals who are experiencing major losses on uninsured expats/visitors who enter the country without any medical/health/travel insurance coverage.

What's the answer...

1. Probably a requirement for visitors demonstrate they have a valid travel insurance policy which covers up to $50,000 of medical care expenses...similar to those who need to apply for the Schengen Visa to visit 16 countries who honor the one visa for entry to all 16 countries; and...

2. For the retiree a requirement to provide either a Certificate of Comprehensive Medical Insurance issued by an insurance company; or...

3. A bank certificate deposit similar to the 800,000 Thai baht requirement for medical expenses; or...

4. Create a Thai policy for expats retirees (similar to a high risk pool) with retiree required to pay an annual premium into the pool to receive up to US$50,000 in benefits...with a high deductible...say US$10,000... to hold down the premium cost. The expat retiree would be required to deposit $10,000 into a dedicated Thai Bank Certificateas as a BOND to insure the payment of unpaid medical bills. This would be costly for obvious reason...as we age, we need added medical care.

For the Thais to continue to allow Expats to retire in Thailand with NO health insurance or PROOF of FUNDS $$$ to be able to pay for medical expenses is not good for Thailand or for the expat.

The ASEAN ACCORD which takes effect in 2015 will place added pressure on the health insurance/medical costs issue as people of the ASEAN nations cross borders and are able to work, much like the European Member Nations have been implementing over recent decade...and continue to do so with addition of added member nations.

tj

Do hospitals in Thailand even accept anyone that can not pay for their services? No credit card or insurance then no service or am I wrong? Many expats cans simply return home such as TJ did for his medical needs. Also a good credit card should get anyone emergency medical attention.

Guest travelerjim

Do hospitals in Thailand even accept anyone that can not pay for their services? No credit card or insurance then no service or am I wrong? Many expats cans simply return home such as TJ did for his medical needs. Also a good credit card should get anyone emergency medical attention.

In recent months, the Thai government has mandated that all hospitals provide emergency care for all. However, the devil is in the details - as the for-profit hospitals ....and government hospitals too... are balking at the costs they will incur by doing so. Up to now they could turn away those who could not pay. That has created major tourism/Thai citizen relations problems...so the attempted solution of mandating emergency care for all who show is posing implementation problems.

This still does not answer the questions of who will pay? The government has said they will pay a set rate, but the for profit hospitals are balking at the low reimburesements they would receive.

tj

Guest travelerjim

Next question is do other countries such as the USA and European countries require visitors to have health insurance?

It depends on your visa status...do you need a visa to visit or not?

Requirements varies from country to country.

Thais wanting to obtain a Visitors or educational Visa for Europe (the 16 Schengen Treaty Countries)

or USA must provide proof in health insurance of US $50,000. for their visit.

tj

In recent months, the Thai government has mandated that all hospitals provide emergency care for all. However, the devil is in the details - as the for-profit hospitals ....and government hospitals too... are balking at the costs they will incur by doing so. Up to now they could turn away those who could not pay. That has created major tourism/Thai citizen relations problems...so the attempted solution of mandating emergency care for all who show is posing implementation problems.

This still does not answer the questions of who will pay? The government has said they will pay a set rate, but the for profit hospitals are balking at the low reimburesements they would receive.

tj

tj,

What is the source for this information? I have not seen it reported in the media. I always thought a private hospital must provide emergency care but could transfer you to a government hospital once the patient was stabilized.

Guest travelerjim

tj

tj,

What is the source for this information? I have not seen it reported in the media. I always thought a private hospital must provide emergency care but could transfer you to a government hospital once the patient was stabilized.

Up2u,

There have been several news stories on this subject in Bangkok Post...and others I have read on the internet..

Here is one:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/health/347238/govt-free-emergency-scheme-falls-short

Note that both Thai government and for-profit hospitals are not honorong the mandate for FREE emergency care uniformly.

tj

Guest fountainhall

There are several health insurance policies available to those over 65+....upon issue, they would have the usual pre-existing conditions exclusions. Yet, they do pay for other medical problems which occur.

For the individual expat retired in Thailand, is there a policy available for those based here and exclusively covering illness in Thailand? I would imagine that that is all most over 65 would need, as they can get travel insurance for short trips away - at least until age 75.  

I understand there is some sort of scheme like this based in Pattaya. Could Bangkok-based retirees join that? Roughly what sort of benefits are offered and what levels of premium?

tj,

Thx for the Bangkok Post Link, I did in fact read the article but when it said 'all Thais' which was missing from your post, I then lost interest. I believe emergency medical services for tourists and expats would come under some good Samaritan provision of the UN or international accord.

tj,

Thx for the Bangkok Post Link, I did in fact read the article but when it said 'all Thais' which was missing from your post, I then lost interest. I believe emergency medical services for tourists and expats would come under some good Samaritan provision of the UN or international accord.

It is my understanding, the free emergency care does not apply to all Thais - only those that are members of one of 3 health care schemes - one is the Social Security health care, another is Government Employees, and the third is those signed up for what is often referred to as the "30 Baht Scheme". 

After taking my Thai partner to Queen Sirikit's emergency room a few months ago, he was admitted, had surgery (through an endoscopic tube), blood transfusions, and lots of medicines. He was there for 6 nights.  I had previously seen some articles about the "free emergency care," but thought that would cover emergency room treatment with any subsequent inpatient treatment (surgery, tests, medicines, etc.) to be paid for.  But, there was no charge for any of his treatment - they obtained a photocopy of his medical card (30 Baht Scheme which he signed up for at a Government Hospital in his home province a few years ago) and that was it.