Everything posted by AdamSmith
-
Relief as San Francisco tests out urine-repellent paint
I see a companion to the Fart Filtering Underwear thread.
-
Slooh
Neat astronomical virtual-observatory web site: http://main.slooh.com ..."Slooh" a cute webification of "slew" the telescope into position to look at whatever. Nothing to do with slaying the telescope although you sometimes want to do that because you didn't balance it right and it keeps vibrating, or you just brought it out from the warm house into the cold and so thermal air currents in the tube are fucking up the seeing, or you dropped an eyepiece on the ground and can't find it, or the finder scope seems to be aligned approximately 90 degrees off from the main telescope, or...
-
Totally trashy music at a fundraiser for Black youth.
- Boston dodges the bullet on hosting 2024 Olympics
Well, this is a relief. After a gung-ho group of businessmen and like boosters got Boston into the bidding to host the 2024 Olympics, the local populace woke up and said Whoa Nellie. And today Mayor Walsh poured enough cold water on the process that Boston appears to have been spared what I have no doubt would have been a ruination of the city in many ways: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/27/boston-mayor-2024-olympic-bid-doubt- Most Handsome Cities in America
Exactly! Expenditure does not necessarily equal efficacy.- Relief as San Francisco tests out urine-repellent paint
Yes, Mr. Clemens. On the other hand: "Winter temperatures in San Francisco are quite temperate, with highs between 55øF and 60øF and lows in the 45øF to 50øF range..." http://ggweather.com/sf/narrative.html- Joke for the Day: Add more if you want
- Relief as San Francisco tests out urine-repellent paint
Relief as San Francisco tests out urine-repellent paint Anyone urinating on the specially treated walls will get the spray splashed back on to them http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/26/relief-as-san-francisco-tests-out-urine-repellent-paint- Queen lead guitarist is also Dr Brian May, astrophysicist!
I did sneak in "thus far." And as you know I intend to live forever.- Rocky Flats Cold War Museum
The formerly pacifist Oppenheimer's answer to all who resisted his efforts to recruit them to Los Alamos: "What if Hitler gets it first?"- Rocky Flats Cold War Museum
More Atomic Cafe stuff: http://www.rockyflatscoldwarmuseum.org/ Web site about the Rocky Flats, Colorado nuclear weapons site, with fascinating oral-history interviews (transcripts and recordings) with people who worked there.- Queen lead guitarist is also Dr Brian May, astrophysicist!
People like him make me realize just how little I've accomplished thus far in life.- Queen lead guitarist is also Dr Brian May, astrophysicist!
Dr. Brian May blogs about his experience with the New Horizons team and shares his stereo images of Pluto in this July 20, 2015 entry from his website: "***Mon 20 July 15*** FIRST HIGH QUALITY REAL STEREO IMAGE OF PLUTO First high quality REAL stereo image of Pluto. I had an unforgettable 3 days with the amazing New Horizons team. I’m still 'coming down’. Alan Stern, leader of the Science Team at APL in Laurel, Maryland, personally made sure I was treated like one of the family, as a collaborator, and I felt privileged to the nth degree. I was, of course, as always, obsessed with finding stereoscopic opportunities while I was there, and the Gods of the Underworld must have been with me, because I was there when the first 2 by 2 mosaic full-planet picture was downloaded from the probe, and assembled into exactly the required highish res partner to the iconic ‘last-look’ photo which preceded the final fly-by. Baseline must be a few hundred thousand miles, but I’ll need to check that. Of course the New Horizons guys were already doing serious science on this image as it arrived, but I was able to assemble the two images to make the most satisfying stereo view I can ever remember making. I got some help making some prints on site, so I was able to show this 3-D to the entire team through the lenses of some OWLS I took over. So this is definitely the first REAL high quality stereo image of Pluto in history. And we can say it’s officially NH approved ! No fiddling this time. The right image is the ‘last-look’ photo from 15th July, and the left image is the ‘two-by-two downloaded from NH on the 17th. All I did was fine-adjust the orientations to match up, and match up the colouring by eye. ENJOY ! High quality stereo image of Pluto assembled by Brian May. Credits: NASA/JHUAPL/SWRI If you’ve been following the New Horizons mission closely, you’ll have seen Amy Teitel’s Pluto in a Minute videos. Well, before I left, we did one together, which I think will make you smile. It features this stereo view, so now you can see it as she saw it at that moment (we got a good ‘wow!'). We’ll post up a link to that vid as soon as we have it. Cheers Bri" Republished with permission of the author. To view the images of Pluto in 3-D, you need to buy or make a stereoscopic viewer. Dr. Brian May has been fascinated by stereoscopic imaging since he was a child. In this interview with "Pluto in a Minute" producer Amy Teitel, he demonstrates how he brings New Horizons Pluto photos to life in 3-D.- Queen lead guitarist is also Dr Brian May, astrophysicist!
I Did Not Know That... Rock Star/Astrophysicist Dr. Brian May Goes Backstage with New Horizons Queen lead guitarist and astrophysicist Dr. Brian May and NASA Administrator Charlie Bolden discuss the New Horizons mission prior to a science briefing on July 17, 2015 in Washington, D.C. Dr. May described the long weekend with the New Horizons team as “the best birthday gift ever.” Credits: NASA/Joel Kowsky As lead guitarist for the legendary rock group Queen, Brian May has spent an entire career in the spotlight. But last week, May traded the music for his other passion – science – and spent some time backstage with the New Horizons team as it dived into the first results from the Pluto flyby. May, who has a doctorate in astrophysics, was awed by the opportunity to meet the team and sift through images and other Pluto system data in real time. And he’ll have other opportunities down the road, as mission principal investigator Alan Stern added May as a New Horizons science collaborator. Astrophysicist Dr. Brian May is recognized during a July 17, 2015 New Horizons science briefing at NASA Headquarters, Washington, D.C. May spent a long birthday weekend with the science team, attending two morning science plenaries, a meeting with the Student Dust Counter group, and working on stereo images of Pluto with the Geology, Geophysics and Imaging (GGI) team. http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/nh-brian-may-conference.jpg- Fart Filtering Underwear
That was from here: https://www.facebook.com/classicalartmemes?fref=photo- Joke for the Day: Add more if you want
It's always something.- Joke for the Day: Add more if you want
- Fart Filtering Underwear
- The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page
My very favorite Johnson bon mot was what he said about Paradise Lost: "None ever wished it longer."- The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page
I 'Liked' your post, but come to think, who is 'SA'? Sam Adams? The brew meister? Dr Johnson became a teetotaler later in life and quite insufferable about it too.- The Samuel Johnson Sound Bite Page
What a great time waster instructional resource! http://www.samueljohnson.com/index.html- Joke for the Day: Add more if you want
- Credences of Summer
Lucky you. Central NC has been an oven for weeks now. I read however that the sun is entering a 'Maunder minimum' such as caused the Little Ice Age in the 1700s, so a little respite from global meltdown at least til I am safely insulated by the topsoil.- Credences of Summer
Time for my annual genuflection to Stevens's great ode to midsummer. With climate change this can shortly be 'Credences of Endless Summer.'- Joke for the Day: Add more if you want
Jurassic Park: High Heels Edition - Boston dodges the bullet on hosting 2024 Olympics
Account
Navigation
Search
Configure browser push notifications
Chrome (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions → Notifications.
- Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Select Site settings.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Safari (iOS 16.4+)
- Ensure the site is installed via Add to Home Screen.
- Open Settings App → Notifications.
- Find your app name and adjust your preference.
Safari (macOS)
- Go to Safari → Preferences.
- Click the Websites tab.
- Select Notifications in the sidebar.
- Find this website and adjust your preference.
Edge (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Edge (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Click Permissions for this site.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Android)
- Go to Settings → Site permissions.
- Tap Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Desktop)
- Open Firefox Settings.
- Search for Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.