Everything posted by AdamSmith
- Crappy Taxidermy
-
Profile of Pistorius trial Judge Masipa
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/judge-thokozile-matilda-masipa-the-woman-with-oscar-pistoriuss-fate-in-her-hands-9715986.html
-
Israeli intelligence veterans refuse to serve in Palestinian territori
Text of the letter: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/12/israeli-intelligence-veterans-letter-netanyahu-military-chiefs
-
Israeli intelligence veterans refuse to serve in Palestinian territori
Israeli intelligence veterans refuse to serve in Palestinian territories Innocent people under military rule exposed to surveillance by Israel, say 43 ex-members of Unit 8200, including reservists http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/12/israeli-intelligence-reservists-refuse-serve-palestinian-territories
-
US supreme court to review same-sex marriage petitions from five states
US supreme court to review same-sex marriage petitions from five states Private review will determine which, if any, gay marriages cases the court will take up in term beginning in October http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/sep/11/supreme-court-same-sex-marriage-petitions
-
US threatened Yahoo with $250,000 daily fine over NSA data refusal
US threatened Yahoo with $250,000 daily fine over NSA data refusal Company releases 1,500 documents from failed suit against NSA over user data requests and cooperation with Prism compliance http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/11/yahoo-nsa-lawsuit-documents-fine-user-data-refusal
-
Dining in the sky: does fear make food taste better?
Dining in the sky: does fear make food taste better? By Harry Wallop, video by Julian Simmonds 4:01PM BST 11 Sep 2014 telegraph.co.uk A hovering restaurant, winched 100ft above London's Canary Wharf, opens this week. Our intrepid writer - who suffers from vertigo - braved the first flight of the day London boasts some of the finest restaurants in the world, many of them with spectacular views over the capital. So, it is baffling why anyone would actively chose to spend £50 on breakfast at the most recent venue to open: London In the Sky. Unless you were a pepper pot short of the full cruet set. But I am surrounded by 20 fellow customers, most of whom seem to be looking forward to our flight. I say flight, but in fact it is more like a slow winch to a certain death. Thats because London in the Sky is a table suspended from a crane, 100 foot in the air. Attached to the table - by rather insubstantial-looking poles - are chairs that look as if they have been ripped off a fairground roller coaster. The middle of the table is cut out, and replaced with a platform on which stands an oven, three waiters and the chef, Anna Hansen. They are all strapped into harnesses. In all, there are seven tonnes of steel, human bodies, and cutlery, which are due to dangle from a single wire, high above a park in Docklands. There is a flimsy transparent plastic sheet above to stop any rain, but otherwise it is completely open to the elements. The floating restaurant, developed in Belgium nearly 10 years ago, has appeared in Britain quite a few times, but only as part of corporate events. This is the first time it has been open to members of the public, who will have to fork out £250 for an hour-long dinner, where some well-known chefs will be cooking, including Atul Kochhar and Alyn Williams. Apparently, nearly all bookings are full. Restaurants that feel the need to boast about their health and safety records are usually dodgy kebab shops and about as welcome as a dose of Ebola. But a man from London in the Sky shows me a sheet of instructions informing me that no loose footwear is allowed, neither are pregnant women. And then comes the killer line: Each Dinner in the Sky event is covered by £10 million public liability and third party insurance. I am seriously starting to question what I am about to do. Thats because I suffer from vertigo -- not cripplingly so, but enough to make me feel deeply anxious when I stand near the edge of any roof, cliff or ladder. [Photo] Telegraph writer Harry Wallop tucks in to breakfast at 100ft Ive not been up in this yet. I am slightly apprehensive, says Hansen, the founder of Modern Pantry restaurant in Clerkenwell. This does not comfort me, as I, along with all the other guests, are strapped into our seats with double safety belts. She adds: I dont really like heights. So, I am not sure why I agreed to do this. It was a moment of madness. Then, the crane slowly starts to winch us up, and the above the roof of the nearby Docklands warehouses is revealed the O2 Arena and various impressive-looking ships docked near Greenwich. But I am unable to enjoy the view as I spend most of my energy making sure I do not look down. I can sense, out of the corner of my eye, the ground steadily receding beneath my feet but I am studiously looking ahead at Hansen and Dale Agar, who runs London in the Sky and is acting as a waiter. After five minutes, you wont notice that you up in the sky. You will just enjoy yourself, he says, trying to soothe me. It is a lie. My entire body is frozen into a corpse-like stiffness and I dare not loosen my vice-like grip on the table. This makes eating difficult. My toasted oats, nuts and seeds, green apple, roast apricot and The Collective Straight Up Yoghurt -- posh granola -- is, I think, delicious. But my taste buds appear to have shut down. I was wondering if fear might make food taste better, says Dr Marcus Posner, a young eye doctor, and one of my fellow guests sitting at the table. I inform him that I dont think it does. He agrees He won a seat on the flight in a competition and says he is up for trying any new experience. He seems unfazed. But he has been skydiving. This is different from sky diving, he says. Dangling is a bit more unnerving. We all have very small foot rests under our chairs, but this does nothing to alleviate my profound unease. I can feel the wind whipping up my ankles. I just want to get down. Halfway through the meal, the entire open-sided contraption swings around, so that we can see another view. This causes even more discomfort as we all gently sway, like an abandoned puppet. To add to the insult, the view is actually very dull - the back of various tall, ugly skyscrapers. The crane, unfortunately, is situated on the east side of the Docklands, which means you only get a slither of a view across to the city between a gap between the HSBC and Citi buildings. [Photo] Suspended above London's Docklands, the 'hovering restaurant' with views over the City The food continues to impress, I think. Some tea-smoked salmon with yuzu hollandaise at least took my mind off where I was, for a bit. Though it turns out that eating a meal while strapped into a fairground chair is rather uncomfortable, as I find it impossible to lean forward. After half an hour, the moment comes that I have been waiting for: we descend. Each metre, as we sink down, is a blessed relief. Eventually we touch down and I am released from my torture chair. It is only then that I realise that I have spent the last half hour so screwed up with tension that I have failed to digest anything. As a result, I have stomach ache. Agar is keen to find out how I found it. I tell him. He looks a little crestfallen. But I am not sure my opinion will have any impact on the success of his venture, which is running until September 21, with nine flights a day. I hope his future diners enjoy themselves more than I did. For more information on London in the Sky, visit www.eventsinthesky.co.uk/events/london-in-the-sky/ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/11090110/Dining-in-the-sky-does-fear-make-food-taste-better.html
-
Hot Alaska gossip: Sarah Palin's whole family was in a nasty brawl
Hot Alaska gossip: Sarah Palin's whole family was in a nasty brawl By Adam Weinstein, gawker.com America's favorite Irrelevant Grizzly Mom reportedly screamed "Don't you know who I am?" and had to smooth things over with local police after her whole damn brood got involved in a physical fight at a "snowmachine" party last Saturday night in Alaska, multiple sources say. The altercation, first reported by several local politics blogs and largely confirmed with police by Wonkette, apparently started over a disagreement between Track Palin and man who had once dated his sister Willow. At its height, police say, the melee involved 20 people. Blogger Amanda Coyne explains the details as she received them, not all of which have been confirmed: The details are a little sketchy, but there's enough of them, from enough different sources, that a story emerges, a story that according to the gossip Gods, looks kind of like this: There's some sort of unofficial birthday/Iron Dog-type/snowmachine party in Anchorage. A nice, mellow party, until the Palin's show up. There's beer, of course, and maybe other things. Which is all fine, but just about the time when some people might have had one too many, a Track Palin stumbles out of a stretch Hummer, and immediately spots an ex-boyfriend of Willow's. Track isn't happy with this guy, the story goes. There's words, and more. The owner of the house gets involved, and he probably wished he hadn't. At this point, he's up against nearly the whole Palin tribe: Palin women screaming. Palin men thumping their chests. Word is that Bristol has a particularly strong right hook, which she employed repeatedly, and it's something to hear when Sarah screams, "Don't you know who I am!" And it was particularly wonderful when someone in the crowd screamed back, "This isn't some damned Hillbilly reality show!" No, it's what happens when the former First Family of Alaska comes knocking. As people were leaving in a cab, Track was seen on the street, shirtless, flipping people off, with Sarah right behind him, and Todd somewhere in the foreground, tending to his bloody nose. Another blogger reported that Todd Palin "apparently puffed up his chest and made some threatening remarks. (The 'C' word may have been uttered at one point)." He added that Bristol Palin had slugged the owner of the house where the party was hosted, and identified that owner as "2010 Iron Dog winner Chris Olds." The Iron Dog bills itself as "The World's Longest Toughest Snowmobile Race." Wonkette's Rebecca Schoenkopf confirmed with the Anchorage Police Department "that a huge bloody mess of a brawl between multiple subjects took place Saturday night, and that the Palins were 'present.'" But police added that since no charges were pressed by any of the parties, the participants' names haven't been released... yet. More information to follow. Needless to say, if you have additional details or, say, video of the Saturday incident, drop a comment or email adam@gawker.com. http://fortressamerica.gawker.com/hot-alaska-gossip-sarah-palins-whole-family-was-in-a-n-1633502806
-
Should Scotland be an independent country?
Talk about occupational hazards.
-
Should Scotland be an independent country?
So the Scottish independence referendum is fast approaching. Wonder what posters here think?
-
Joan Rivers in Critical Condition- Not Conscious
Melissa's eulogy: http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/527273
-
Nominations for the First Annual Boytoy Awards
Only way to survive.
-
Chomsky: 'Are We Approaching the End of Human History?'
ATTACK THE POST, NOT THE POSTER!
-
What can I say?
Some light etymological musings not on 'stiffie' but just the generic root (so to speak ). Research continues! Lumpy 05-25-2003, 04:43 PM "Penis" is from Latin, and every other commonly used word for it in English is an obvious slang phrase. What was it's proper name back in ye olde times? MC Master of Ceremonies 05-25-2003, 05:15 PM 'Cock' astro 05-25-2003, 05:50 PM Possibly "pintle". (http://www.bartleby.com/61/0/P0320000.html) pintle SYLLABICATION: pin·tle PRONUNCIATION: pntl NOUN: 1. A pin or a bolt on which another part pivots. 2. Nautical The pin on which a rudder turns. 3. The pin on which a gun carriage revolves. 4. A hook or a bolt on the rear of a towing vehicle for attaching a gun or trailer. ETYMOLOGY: Middle English pintel, penis, from Old English. Johanna 05-25-2003, 05:53 PM Wrong, MC Master of Ceremonies. Cock means a male chicken and was used to refer to the penis only metaphorically. Besides, it isn't from Old English at all. It came from French, derived from Latin coccus, a cackling. The real answer to the OP is pintel. The word survives in Modern English as pintle, meaning a pin on which a rudder or gun pivots. Also the second part of cuckoopint (http://www.edensong.com/garden/plants2001/cuckoopint-fruit2.jpg), originally cuckoopintel, a flower (Arum maculatum) with a phallic shape. Joseph Wood Crutch writes in his great book of botanical folklore, Herbal,No "signature" is more immodestly evident than that provided by the very phallic central column (actually a spadix bearing the small male and female flowers) and most of the popular names embody evidence, now somewhat obscured, that the folk imagination had deciphered the signature. Cuckoopint is short for Cuckoopintel, and Wake-Robin (though now gently poetic) was clear enough to those same Elizabethans who snickered when the mad Ophelia sang "For bonnie sweets, Robin is all my joy." ...It is the later Herbalists who stress the supposed effectiveness of the Arums as aphrodisiacs.... Here is what Coles has to say of the Cuckoopint: "It hath not only the signature which will sufficiently declare itself but the virtues also according to the signature, for they are notable for stirring up of inclination to copulation, being either well roasted under the embers or boiled." He then adds that among other names are Sacerdotis Penis, or, In English, Priests Pintle. Johanna 05-25-2003, 06:02 PM astro, I woula been first out of the box if I hadn't taken the time to delve deeper into the philology. I just want everyone to be conscious that answering GQ questions is more than merely a matter of Googling. To really dig into a question, often it helps to have read widely, to be able to draw upon a wealth of associations in one's memory, and to have a library of books at hand to research knowledge further than Google can take you. Agback 05-25-2003, 07:47 PM G'day 'Pintle' is originally derived from Old English 'pintel', which was a general term for pointed things. So even this is probably a euphemism, just an obsolete one. 'Prick' is another word for a penis that originally means 'pointed thing', and there are similar words in lots of other languages (eg. Danish 'pic', Swedish 'pick', Dutch 'tump', Russian 'chuj', Greek 'charkion', Spanish 'carajo'). 'Zerd' is another old word for penis (now spelled 'yard'). It originally meant 'rod' or 'staff'. In Old English there was also 'woepned' (the 'oe' is a ligature), which is a masculine form of 'woepen' (weapon). And 'teors' (related to the term for the boss of a shield-- it survives as the dialectal 'tarse', meaning penis). And 'teran' (etymology in doubt). Records of Old English are sadly few, so the undoubted use of words meaning 'swelling', 'tail', 'tassel', 'nail', 'tool', 'powerful thing', 'creative object', 'spear', 'sword', 'peg' etc. is not attested. According to Carl Darling Buck the Prote-Indo-European word has been reconstructed as '*pes-' or '*pesos-', from which Greek 'peos', Latin 'penis', Sanskrit 'pasas', Old High German 'faselt', and Modern English 'pizzle'-- my suggestion for the 'proper' English word for the membrum virile. Regards, Agback bibliophage 05-25-2003, 08:03 PM Just to throw in a few dates from the OED for synonyms older than "penis" in English (not all derived from Anglo-Saxon): ca. 1000 tarse ca. 1100 pintle ca. 1300 pillicock ca. 1400 verge 1483 tail 1523 pizzle 1592 prickle/prick 1618 cock Agback 05-25-2003, 08:09 PM Originally posted by Agback According to Carl Darling Buck the Prote-Indo-European word has been reconstructed as '*pes-' or '*pesos-', from which Greek 'peos', Latin 'penis', Sanskrit 'pasas', Old High German 'faselt', and Modern English 'pizzle'-- my suggestion for the 'proper' English word for the membrum virile. My apologies, you weere asking for an Old English word, not the Modern English word of native etymology with a non-figurative derivation. 'Pizzle' is not attested in writing before 1532, and its existence in some form such as '*pisel' or '*fisel' in earlier times would be conjectural--it might be derived from Dutch, or Frisian rather than Middle English. The words actually attested from Old English (a.k.a. Anglo-Saxon) would be the euphemisms I gave above: woepned, teors, teran, pintel. Regards, Agback Lumpy 05-27-2003, 07:17 PM Hmm... so we have a part of the body that effectively has no name of it's own, but has been referred to by euphenisms in every Indo-European language as far back as we have records. There's a profound implication somewhere there. Agback 05-27-2003, 07:35 PM Originally posted by Lumpy Hmm... so we have a part of the body that effectively has no name of it's own, but has been referred to by euphenisms in every Indo-European language as far back as we have records. Not exactly. PIE "*pesos", Sanskrit "pasos", Greek "peos", Latin "penis", OHG "faselt", and modern English "pizzle" are all 'proper' (ie. non-figurative) words for the male organ of generation. Cognate, too. But euphemisms, metaphors, and joke terms are rife. on the other hand, there is something to be said for the position that in English anyway, any masculine personal name and any improper noun or noun phrase can be used to refer to the genitals with perfect comprehensibility. If I tell you that so-and-so got kicked in the coach and horses, or that I want to try out my socket wrench, there is no doubt what I mean, even though (as far as I know) neither metaphor has ever been used before. I think that tells us something. Regards, Agback http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-186295.html
-
Nominations for the First Annual Boytoy Awards
Being from the South myself I can illustrate: Bless his heart, MsGuy is from Mississippi so he really can't help the way he is.
-
Chomsky: 'Are We Approaching the End of Human History?'
Of course in the context of most of Chomsky's writing, the piece linked above is positively an S.J. Perelman bagatelle.
-
The Shadow over Innsmouth
See also: http://www.boytoy.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22030-sources-of-necromancy-in-charles-dexter-ward/
-
Nominations for the First Annual Boytoy Awards
Let me just ponder a bit...
-
Study: Science and Religion Really Are Enemies After All
Study: Science and Religion Really Are Enemies After All September 9, 2014 by Chris Mooney Are science and religion doomed to eternal warfare, or can they just get along? Philosophers, theologians, scientists and atheists debate this subject endlessly (and often, angrily). We hear a lot less from economists on the matter, however. But in a recent paper, Princeton economist Roland Bénabou and two colleagues unveiled a surprising finding that would at least appear to bolster the conflict camp: Both across countries and also across US states, higher levels of religiosity are related to lower levels of scientific innovation. Places with higher levels of religiosity have lower rates of scientific and technical innovation, as measured by patents per capita, comments Bénabou. He adds that the pattern persists when controlling for differences in income per capita, population and rates of higher education. Continued: http://billmoyers.com/2014/09/09/study-science-and-religion-really-are-enemies-after-all/
-
Chomsky: 'Are We Approaching the End of Human History?'
http://billmoyers.com/2014/09/09/noam-chomsky-are-we-approaching-the-end-of-human-history/
-
Joan Rivers in Critical Condition- Not Conscious
There is some distressing news being reported by the New York Daily News. Not confirmed yet anywhere that I can find, but that paper has seemed to be closest to the whole story since it first began. http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/clinic-denies-joan-rivers-surprise-biopsy-article-1.1934795 http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/joan-rivers-surprise-biopsy-cut-air-supply-source-article-1.1934178
-
Justin Bieber tonight on "Fashion Rocks"
He fills those Calvins pretty nicely in the shots above.
-
For hito: 'Killer Heels: The Art of the High-Heeled Shoe' opening at the Brooklyn Museum
http://m.nydailynews.com/life-style/fashion/killer-heels-brooklyn-museum-article-1.1926910
-
Joke for the Day: Add more if you want
- Joke for the Day: Add more if you want
An entire wiki of sick jokes! http://www.sickipedia.org - Joke for the Day: Add more if you want