Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

RA1

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by RA1

  1. I think the "general" answer is that government never wants to do less, they always want to do more. Which is exactly how we are giving up freedoms supposedly in exchange for security. We don't need the TSA and they are totally ineffective but do you think they will ever give up any power unless "forced" to do so? Ditto HUD, DOE, HEW,DOC, etc., etc. We really don't need any of them and certainly not at the huge bureaucracy level they are now. Best regards, RA1
  2. RA1 replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    One day I flew into Bangor, ME after a very long day flying from Europe via Iceland and Canada. The weather was very poor. They only "let" me in because they knew I had come from such a long distance. The airliners were not getting in. After all that I found it was Canadian Thanksgiving and BGR was full of tourists. Not a room to be had. DL airlines was the main larger airline that served BGR at the time and I knew they stayed at the HI. I called and asked if they had any rooms. They said no. I then asked if they had any rooms reserved for DL. They said yes. I said they will not be using them tonight and please give me one. If you don't believe me, call the station manager and ask him. (I had just talked to him at the airport.) Anyway, I got a room. The next day at breakfast I saw another DL crew who had been there for 3 days. They were out of clean clothes and anxious to get out of BGR, which I think they did later that day. Just a variation on the statement, there are always rooms somewhere, somehow. Best regards, RA1
  3. RA1 replied to kjun12's topic in The Beer Bar
    Target as a store has some good points as well as negative ones. That is an economic comment, not a political one. I wish they would do better but I also wish many other companies would do better. How do we accomplish this? Best regards, RA1
  4. Just to be the usual carmudgeon and "conservative", MSguy and others seem to recognize that the "powers that be" are not necessarily in our best interests. There are SO MANY examples of this to include the TSA, HSA and many others that I do not understand why "others" are not totally against the current regime (meaning not only BO but others) as well as pols in general, as they appear to be today. Sorry to be so negative. Best regards, RA1
  5. I sent BD wishes on the "other" site but now realize you are a BD boy on St. Pat's day + one. Any significance to that? Are you green with envy or for any other reason? Just kidding. Personally, I avoid any "celebrations" of the anniversary of my BD but, unfortunately, remember it myself each and every year; however, the alternative is not on my list of things to do anytime soon. Best regards, RA1
  6. The Thai drivers seem just like the ones I encounter every day here in MEM. One must be constantly alert for lane changes, "unusual" speeders, cell phone talking narcoleptics and "others". Sounds like a "normal" day to me. Best regards, RA1
  7. Philosophically speaking, is it "worse" to be a Doubting Thomas or Judas Iscariot? Just asking. Best regards, RA1
  8. RA1 replied to RA1's topic in Politics
    A good movie is a good movie and a good book is a good book. Everyone has to choose for themselves which they prefer. Thanks. Best regards, RA1
  9. RA1 replied to Lucky's topic in The Beer Bar
    Which of us do you suspect of sending you that invitation? Of course, I don't know your private email address, so I plead not guilty. Isn't it common advice to refrain from using the unsubscribe "feature" which allows the sender to verify the email address? Just asking. Best regards, RA1
  10. There are probably plenty of other examples of how to make this worse but I will mention two. The AVI's vehicles drive on the "wrong" side of the road but have the steering wheel on the LH side. And, of course, the ubiquitous USPS vehicles with RH drive on the "correct" side of the US roads. It is bad enough to be on the "other" side of the road when visiting another country or area but at least in most the steering wheel and controls are a constant reminder. Not so with LH drive and a different side of the road. Best regards, RA1
  11. I have seen drivers here stop, more or less, in the middle of the street, exit their vehicles and duke it out. I guess it relieves their tensions. I have heard it said that there are 8 million cars driving around in Manhattan looking for one of the 7 million places to park. I have this image of 1 million cars (at least) in constant motion M-F. I once had business many years ago at 30 Rock and a friend drove me in. We parked in a garage across the street where I was amused to listen to my friend tell the attendant, to not bury it and we will be back in about an hour or so. We were back in about 45 minutes and paid the guy as I recall about 15-20 bucks. This was at least 15 years ago. Part of that was the parking fee and part of it was for not burying the car. Best regards, RA1
  12. If this guy weren't a "star" his story would barely make a small mention in a local paper. He obviously has problems but how many performers don't and aren't they magnified by the attendant publicity? I listened to a so called friend of his last night on talk radio claim he had been "clean" for a long time until recently when he started hanging out with the "wrong" crowd. The wrong crowd will do it every time, won't it? Best regards, RA1
  13. RA1 replied to RA1's topic in Politics
    I don't think I said this works for everybody, just me. Also, I certainly am not about to claim that various characterazations by certain actors were not superior in and of themselves. However, movies have limitations and my imagination doesn't seem to have very many. Best regards, RA1
  14. RA1 replied to RA1's topic in Politics
    I don't recall ever seeing a movie of a book that I had read and thought to be good or better being nearly as good as the book. My conversion via imagination of what I thought the author meant seems nearly perfect (for me) whereas the director of a movie is "showing" his interpretation or at least not necessarily mine. Best regards, RA1 The movie has plenty of flaws. I just liked the line.
  15. Oh, to be young, AND double jointed. I enjoyed this. Best regards, RA1
  16. MSGuy-- Remember, I am the resident curmudgeon. Best regards, RA1
  17. Interesting comment, caeron. I,too, was intriqued by the "idea" of this house from the first time I knew of it but I always wondered how anyone could "live" in it. However, I have never seen it in person, so I appreciate your comment. Best regards. RA1
  18. Very interesting. And, all this time, I thought 90% of our local traffic jams were caused by "rubber-neckers". (It is.) Best regards, RA1
  19. I watched this movie (again) last night and (again) was amused by the self description of the National Security Advisor to the president. "I am a politician, so when I am not kissing babies, I am stealing their lollipops. The point is I like to keep my options open." I realize this is not strictly a political comment but the quote does talk about politicians. Best regards, RA1
  20. RA1 replied to ihpguy's topic in The Beer Bar
    Remember: They hire the rejects from these stores to be TSA agents. Best regards, RA1
  21. Not so sure Charlie Sheen is "getting away with" speaking his mind but, if left up to me, you are certainly welcome to do so. I certainly understand each and every one of your "rants". On "bad" days I am very likely to feel much the same way. I also have no kin that will succeed or survive me for very long and I used to think, there is nothing I can do and it doesn't matter (to me) anyway. But, I now know several younger guys who I do wish to "have a future" and that means I have to do my best to participate in whatever it takes to allow them to do so. So, from a friend standpoint, I do have a stake in whatever happens. They won't have the benefit of all the good stuff (and bad stuff) that I have learned once I am gone but, in the meantime, they do, for whatever it is worth. Besides, when the world ends or "rapture" comes along, we all have to account for "everything", don't we? Best regards, RA1
  22. Hooray for the citizens. They aren't as dumb as they look or act (sometimes), are they? I find that many even very many of the "ordinary" folks I work with are very well informed, at least about their opinions. They may be "wrong" but they can articulate and explain their views; ditto, when they are "right". One problem with human nature and Americans in particular is the tendency to just go along when they aren't hungry, out of work or sufficiently annoyed by pols and "others". Slow to anger. Live and let live. All cliches that many Americans have lived by for now centuries. Things are changing world wide and, as always, not necessarily for the better. Being aware of a problem is always the first step in solving it, isn't it? Best regards, RA1
  23. RA1 replied to Lucky's topic in The Beer Bar
    I know I am hanging out with the wrong people. First, I thought the author cited was Charles Gerber, especially after I saw the baby; then, when I read the piece, it said she said, meaning Charles. That put me into a different orbit, although I should be completely used to he's and she's being one and the same or whichever by now. Bleach and hot water are wonderful for killing germs but hell on colors. Best regards, RA1
  24. I have been told by more than one straight friend that there is "nothing like a reformed Morman, as a snow bunny", whatever that might mean. I have to think that "reformed" Mormans of whatever stripe are glad to be free of whatever they think is constraining them, religion or other things. That is not necessarily all good but I prefer to not judge. Best regards, RA1
  25. As the resident curmudgeon, I don't trust anyone to draw those lines. What I want is my friends and family + the attending to decide, if any of them are still alive when I go. Best regards, RA1

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.