reader

In Japan, it's women who pay big

If you think Soi Twlight long-time rates are high, be glad you're not a woman seeking male companship in Tokyo where it can run into thousands of dollars.

From Nation Multimedia:

CIGARETTE SMOKE hangs thick in the air of a Tokyo nightspot as Aki Nitta sips champagne with a trio of sweet-talking Lotharios peddling fake love at premium rates.

In a country which has lost its mojo, many wealthy Japanese women spend eye-watering sums on male hosts in return for an evening of sweet talk, flirting – and often sex.

The 27-year-old businesswoman from Nagoya, spends around $10,000 (Bt350,000) a month on the object of her desire – a faintly androgynous beau with bleached hair and a boyish grin.

But some big-spenders splurge over $100,000 in a single night to have their egos stroked by smooth-talking rental Romeos who themselves can earn five times that amount in a good month.

There are a growing number of wealthy and successful Japanese women that have become frustrated with traditional dating and instead prefer to focus their romantic energies somewhere they are guaranteed to be treated well.

Many women – ranging from 20-somethings to those in their sixties – lavish expensive gifts on their favourite hosts, buying them diamond watches, luxury cars, even apartments.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/life/art_culture/30307247

I'd bet that these amounts are just as inflated as those we can often read about Thai bar boys. There will be a few superstars and again a few others who have the good fortune of landing a long-term, wealthy admirer, but in all likelihood, the vast majority makes far less. More than in Thailand, obviously, but less than hundreds of thousands of US$ per month.

I'd bet that these amounts are just as inflated as those we can often read about Thai bar boys. There will be a few superstars and again a few others who have the good fortune of landing a long-term, wealthy admirer, but in all likelihood, the vast majority makes far less. More than in Thailand, obviously, but less than hundreds of thousands of US$ per month.

I, too, found these numbers so extreme that I'm inclined to suspect exaggeration. A bit of Googling found this 2008 CNN article with similar results.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/04/07/japan.geishas/index.html

The article that appeared in The Nation was from Agence France Press (AFP), a legit wire service. So I believe that the phenomenon exists--and has for many years--but are the women interviewed for the articles playing the foreign reporters along? Wouldn't be the first time. I'm not ready to label it fake news; perhaps just embellished.

Now here's an article from 2012 on what Japanese males can expect to pay for female companionship.  I find it quite explicit and believable. (Note: prices to not appear to include additional services, a practice we readers are more familiar with).

Admission fee: 3,000 yen

Standard Course

20 min – 3,000 yen

40 min – 5,000 yen (only 3,000 yen for first time visitors)

60 min – 6,000 yen

2 hrs – 11,000 yen

3 hrs – 16,000 yen

4 hrs – 20,000 yen

5 hrs – 25,000 yen

6 hrs – 30,000 yen

10 hrs – 50,000 yen

“Shimei-ryo“ (fee to pick the girl you want to sleep with) – 1,000 yen + 500 yen per hour

Optional Course

Customer sleeps in girl’s arm (3 min) – 1,000 yen

Girl pats customer on the back (3 min) – 1,000 yen

Customer pets girl on the head (3 min) – 1,000 yen  

Customer and girl stare at each other (1 min) – 1,000 yen

Girl changes clothes (1 time) – 1,000 yen

Girl gives customer foot massage (3 min) – 1,000 yen  

Customer gives girl foot massage (3 min) – 2,000 yen

Customer sleeps with head on girl’s lap (3 min) – 1,000 yen

Girl sleeps with head on customer’s lap (3 min) – 2,000 yen

http://www.japantoday.com/category/lifestyle/view/japans-first-cuddle-cafe-lets-you-sleep-with-a-stranger-for-y6000-an-hour

Optional Course

Customer sleeps in girl’s arm (3 min) – 1,000 yen

Girl pats customer on the back (3 min) – 1,000 yen

Customer pets girl on the head (3 min) – 1,000 yen  

Customer and girl stare at each other (1 min) – 1,000 yen

Girl changes clothes (1 time) – 1,000 yen

Girl gives customer foot massage (3 min) – 1,000 yen  

Customer gives girl foot massage (3 min) – 2,000 yen

Customer sleeps with head on girl’s lap (3 min) – 1,000 yen

Girl sleeps with head on customer’s lap (3 min) – 2,000 yen

Hilarious!