reader

Hua Lamphong

From Khaosod English

17309515_780700385412530_324296240720039

BANGKOK — An advocate for Bangkok’s homeless population on Thursday decried the state railway’s decision to shut the Bangkok Railway Station, or Hua Lamphong, to the people who regularly sleep there overnight.

Last night the terminal abruptly ended its longstanding policy of allowing people to sleep within by making it off limits to them from 11:30pm to 3am. Natee Sarawaree, an activist with a foundation that provides aid to the homeless population, said the decision is bad not only for those who used the station as a safe place to sleep, but the community as well.

“This will affect Bangkok directly. Now, the homeless who used to sleep in the station will have to sleep and [go to toilet] along Khlong Phadung Krung Kasem, disturbing everyone else,” Natee of the Issarachon Foundation said. “You have to take care of people too, not just of places.”

The change in policy came hours after photos of people sleeping in the station were posted at just after midnight early Wednesday morning. The images were posted to the massively popular YouLike page, where they received little attention.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/transpo/2017/03/23/long-homeless-refuge-hua-lamphong-now-locks/

Guest abang1961

Instead of resolving the problem, the Thai authorities are simply sweeping it under the carpet.

They should provide a proper resting place for those who are waiting for the early morning ride.

My personal experience

Sometimes I have to catch an early flight, say 6 am.  

I would rather arrive at the airport by the last train service rather than waking up in the middle of the night.

I know I won't have a good night sleep in the first place.  

So to me, sleeping at the airport seems the only viable choice.

Stupid me..

I mistook a 7 am as 1 am booking recently.

I was so bloody sure that it was 1 am that I spent the whole day shopping and visiting a gay sauna till 10 pm.

Next, I took the airport bus and arrived at the airport, just to realise that my flight is actually 7 am and the check-in is at 5 am.

Silly me had to remain in the airport..walking around aimlessly  in the almost empty airport.

To me it's not clear what's going on.

The waiting hall is closed at night anyway. Outside, still under a roof but open to the side, passengers with early/late arrival/departure are sleeping in large numbers, let's say 100 passengers and 10 homeless.

I have to take a look some day, paying attention to this issue. It might be a brain fart and nothing actually changes.

Rail travellers should not have to share the main station with loads of people sleeping rough.

The authorities are right to kick them out. 

To satisfy consciences, there must be a more under utilised building that could be used instead.  For example, an entire floor of Makkasan station could be utilised.