nynakedtop

First Time Back in Five Years!

Greetings from New York City, guys!

I used to be in Bangkok every year for professional (and other) reasons every year for many years, including some very extended stays.

Finally going to be able to have some quality time back in Thailand after about all these years away - will base myself in BKK and spend most of my time there (but by no means all...)

I know this may be an overly broad question, but... should I be expecting things to have changed much? (I imagine they have...)

My typical routine used to be daytime at the gym and pool at babylon... early eve drinks on one of the terraces on Soi Twilight... ending the eve with visits to the small bars around Super A/Nature Boy, and so on...

Still a viable plan???? Thanks! All suggestions sincerely welcome!

Guest DThump

Yes things have changed for the worse especially in Sunee Plaza and Soi Twlight but the venues you mentioned have incured little change....I can't speak for Babylon as it's not my thing.

When I was a "newbie", I restricted my activities to the places that newbies tend to go - but over the years I developed a good Thai language speaking/listening ability and a greater connection to the country - I actually did my academic field work in Bangkok... I have been fortunate to be taken under several wings.... both farang and Thai... who helped me to consdierably broaden my horizons and go off the beaten track.

so.... while i do enjoy being a spectator on soi twilight, it is very much as an ethnographic thing... even though i have become "known" on the soi, i rarely play the customer role there. (more likely to make a bud there and go out to a night of isaan music...) but i do like the small bars around Super A, and i do like the saunas less commonly frequented by the Babylon crowd.

i will be there for at least the month of (rainy) August - and looking for some very cool adventures!

btw: has anyone recently been to (my bud's) Tui Guesthouse in Pattaya? How is that place holding up?

love to all of you from NYC....

When I was a "newbie", I restricted my activities to the places that newbies tend to go - but over the years I developed a good Thai language speaking/listening ability and a greater connection to the country - I actually did my academic field work in Bangkok... I have been fortunate to be taken under several wings.... both farang and Thai... who helped me to consdierably broaden my horizons and go off the beaten track.

so.... while i do enjoy being a spectator on soi twilight, it is very much as an ethnographic thing... even though i have become "known" on the soi, i rarely play the customer role there. (more likely to make a bud there and go out to a night of isaan music...) but i do like the small bars around Super A, and i do like the saunas less commonly frequented by the Babylon crowd.

i will be there for at least the month of (rainy) August - and looking for some very cool adventures!

btw: has anyone recently been to (my bud's) Tui Guesthouse in Pattaya? How is that place holding up?

love to all of you from NYC....

Hi I am also from NYC.

And I am currently in pattaya. Tui's place is still there but but

As of today dongtan Beach is under some serious major alterations.

All of the parking lot walkways coconut trees u name it are being bulldozed. I was told by Beach massage guy it will take months.

And it may just kill the business there. The new mayor of pattaya

Has bold plans. All Beach concessions are very unhappy. The homeless people who sleep on the beach at the beginning of the promenade

Have been routed.

Hi I am also from NYC.

And I am currently in pattaya. Tui's place is still there but but

As of today dongtan Beach is under some serious major alterations.

All of the parking lot walkways coconut trees u name it are being bulldozed. I was told by Beach massage guy it will take months.

And it may just kill the business there. The new mayor of pattaya

Has bold plans. All Beach concessions are very unhappy. The homeless people who sleep on the beach at the beginning of the promenade

Have been routed.

wow that is valuable information - an important part of my pattaya routine has always been stumbling out of Tui's onto the beach and hanging out there as long as i can

would you say that is no longer an option?

thanks!

Guest DThump

wow that is valuable information - an important part of my pattaya routine has always been stumbling out of Tui's onto the beach and hanging out there as long as i can

thanks!

If you like sunbathing in a construction site you will be fine, also do not expect boys working the beach anymore, the good news is that over the last few years Jomtien Comlex has really come into its own with many beer bars and restaurants, the action starts in the early eventing and continues till late and if you like fem twinks you'll be in heaven.

Agree Jomtien seems more alive than the Boyztown clubs. Just left Pattaya yesterday. The old growth trees are being cut down and replaced with a promenade of palm trees. The destruction was from the main road to in front of BB Inn and the Sandpiper.

thanks!

A greatly diminished option.

...but i do like the small bars around Super A, and i do like the saunas less commonly frequented by the Babylon crowd.

Which bars are you referring to? There is only Super A, Golden Cock and Nature Boy left.

For saunas, there have been various closings and a few new openings, details in my blog.

Apart from prices having gone up (bus/taxi/BTS/MRT a bit, drinks in Soi Twilight a lot), and venues opening/closing/changing names, not much has changed. Most notable might be the absence of street stalls on Silom road and other places, now you can finally walk on the sidewalk!