Guest namjai

passport/important documents...

Guest namjai

When living in Thailand (not in hotels), where is the safe place to keep important legal documents? In the banks, are there safety deposit boxes such as in the USA?

(opps...early morning...the title says passpost...I usually know how to spell :p

(Corrected by admin)

Thanks!

Guest Hedda

There are a ot of places that sell a variety of safes in various sizes that fit in some closet or other convenient space. A decent small one that's burglar-secure and fire-rated and has a combo and key system will probably cost you between 5-9,000 baht, depending on size.

Guest catawampuscat

the small safes can be carried away quite easily and need to be bolted to the floor or some secure

area..If you have a steady stream of visitors, you can bet that some of them are looking foranything

that they can grab the moment you are not watching..

some friends actually pat the boys down and look into any bags or pockets before the boy leaves..some might think this rude but this friend has found his wristwatch more than once accidently fallen into a boys pocket..another clever ruse , some boys put your mobile or watch or wallet or whatever in their shoes..If the shoes are outside your door, it is a clever place on would not think to check..

My usual routine is put on my watch, ring and make sure my mobile is in sight and then take out

my money from its hiding place and pay the boy..Unfortunately, I used to leave my digital camera

in a desk drawer and it had escaped previous thievery and I thought it was okay...until I went to take it out of its box and it was long gone..I think I knew the culprit and of course he denied it but

one only learns from these events.. I have been reluctant to buy a small laptop computer but now

understand I can secure it with a chain and will probably buy one soon...

One friend had an expensive bottle of cologne stolen from his bathroom, so don't leave items

there, that are valuable or you don't want to lose..

by the way, you can do a body search and pretend you are just saying goodbye and want a good

feel of the pockets and any area that can hide something.. it is up to you... B)

Teenagers arrested for armed robbery of Briton in his luxury home

Boonlua Chatree

Two teenage burglars have been arrested for breaking into the house of a British man, tying him up, and making off with property worth more than 400,000 baht.

Police armed with a warrant issued by Pattaya District Court for the two, identified only by the aliases of Nat, age 16, and Keng, 17, arrested them during the afternoon of July 14 and took them to the house on Thappraya Soi to reenact the crime (Pattaya Mail July 7).

The robbers re-enact their robbery at the scene of the crime.

Paul Edward Futcher, a 55-year-old citizen of the United Kingdom, said that on the night of June 23 he had been working alone in the house when the two boys broke in. They had a gun and forced him to open the safe before tying him up and gagging him.

Police investigations have revealed that three people were involved in the crime, with a man identified as Narong Rat-Enungkul, 29, as the gang leader. Narong had previously been arrested by Pattaya police numerous times, including five occasions for the possession of drugs and on other occasions for more than 20 cases of burglary in Pattaya and Banglamung.

Arrest warrants were issued for the three, but Narong evaded police. Officers found a fake gun and the clothes worn at the crime when making the arrest of the two boys, who demonstrated how they entered the house. They told officers that they had committed similar crimes throughout the area, dividing the spoils between themselves. Police are still looking for Narong.

Pattaya Mail

There is an alternative. There are a number of places that rent post office boxes. You could place your important documents in an envelope and simply store it in a rented post office box. It would be inconvenient, but nobody else can get their hands on it that way.