Guest lvdkeyes

Retirement Financial Letter

Guest lvdkeyes

Perhaps I am the last to know, but I found out today that Thai Immigration does not require a new Financial Letter every year when renewing a Retirement Visa. If you are using the same passport as the last time you submitted the letter, you only need to make a photo copy of it and take the original and the copy to Immigration when you submit the paperwork to renew your Retirement Visa, This saves a trip to BKK to the embassy and the notary cost to the embassy, which for US citizens is 1140 baht.

Perhaps I am the last to know

Maybe second to last because I wasn't aware of it either. Thank you for letting us know. Great! All this time I've been making needless annual trips to the embassy and it never even occurred to me that it might not be necessary other than the first time. That will save a trip to Bangkok, getting to the embassy at bizarre hours, and the expense involved.

How did you find this out?

Guest Kregger

More news from immigration. There are reports on thaivisa that SOMETIMES immigration is now asking for ADDITIONAL PROOF that you are actually receiving the pension claimed in the embassy letter. That's right, you might have to prove it. The American embassy does not require any proof and Thai immigration knows that, so Americans should be especially aware of this. If you have been lying to the American embassy, you might have a problem.

Real proof could be something like an official letter from the pension granting organization.

Documents required depends upon the Immigration Office and, in some cases, the Immigration Officer. Pattaya seems to be the best. I have used a photocopy of the Embassy letter (financial letter) each time -- BUT, take the original with you - they will want to see it (sometimes run their finger over the "raised" seal on the letter to be sure it is genuine). However, if you renew your passport, Immigration requires a new letter since the passport number and expiration date in the original is no longer valid.

I have heard of people being asked to show proof that funds have been transferred into Thailand during the year at the time of renewal. HOWEVER, this has not been the case with Pattaya Immigration for me and all my friends that are here on retirement visas.

Just remember - dress nicely (shows respect toward the Government office), smile a lot, and be polite.

Guest Kregger

I am trying to communicate that this is NEWS. What has happened in the past isn't the issue. I am not talking about proof of transferring in money. That is a separate issue. I am talking about proof that backs up the statement you made to your embassy that you are really receiving the pension you claimed to your embassy. In other words, the embassy letter is not always enough proof anymore.

Of course, you can still qualify fully on bank account alone if you follow the new rules for that (money must be there 3 months prior to extension application).

There are reports on thaivisa that SOMETIMES immigration is now asking for ADDITIONAL PROOF that you are actually receiving the pension claimed in the embassy letter.

I haven't had time to look through Thai Visa. Did any of those reports happen to specify which immigration offices were asking for additional proof?

Three friends renewed their retirement visas at Pattaya Immigration using copies of letter from US Embassy in December - no proof was required to show that any funds had either been transferred into Thailand or for any documentaiton to back up the monthly income shown in the Embassy letter.

Although this still seems to be the policy at Pattaya Immigration, that could change anytime the Immigration Office® so chooses. So, that is always a sword hanging over the neck of anyone who was not truthful in the information they provided to US Embassy for the letter and does not have evidence to back up the amount they have "sworn" is correct.

Guest Kregger

Yes, the best advise is to not lie to your embassy. I can't cite specific offices that are asking for proof; only reports that immigration may now be checking for proof beyond the letters. Of course, immigration can always ask for more information whenever they want, but this was presented on thaivisa as a policy change. Its possible they are phasing it in, or even that it isn't going to be enforced, but you have been warned.

BTW, as far as proof of transferring money in, the codes in the passbook accounts are a form of proof that money was transferred in from abroad. In my case, they most certainly did highlight those transactions (with a colored pen).