Guest eastburbguy

Gas Prices - Fight Back!!

Guest eastburbguy

I received this via email today. Read it carefully and then please pass it on. The power of the internet could just help this succeed! :D

GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It's worth your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea. This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at

$1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How?

Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other

companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of

people!!

I am sending this note to over 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over

THREE MILLION consumers.

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all! (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people....Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am so trust me on this one.) :-)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP

THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Kerry Lyle, Director, Research Coordinator

• Members

My thoughts exactly. I live across the street from one gas station and kitty corner from another. I laugh at the suckers buying the gas. I too am glad that I no longer have a car and have no desire to drive at all. Not only with the price of gas but ya gotta figure in insurance, up keep, parking tickets (if you live in a decent sized down or city you're bound to get one), cost of meters and parking in lots cars have gotten too costly. I wont even rent a car when I travel because of the above. Blah cars are just evil in general. Give me a nice scoot or motorcycle and I'd be as happy as a clam in water!

Hugs,

Greg

Palm Springs April 28-29

Guest ChgoBoy

< I laugh at the suckers buying the gas.

>Hugs,

>Greg

>Palm Springs April 28-29

Wow. As one of the "suckers" that own a car that does requires gas to operate, I find Greg's laughter chilling and very disappointing. Perhaps I'll choose to laugh at Greg when he's in Chicago and looking for a good room rate as apposed to those inflated beyond reason. No, not perhaps, I will. How shallow and disappointing. Suddenly, Greg, has lost his connection to those of us who live in the real world and pay for that reality....how sad for us all.

Guest LovesYng

>Wow. As one of the suckers that own a car that does requires

>gas, I find Greg's laughter chilling and very disappointing.

>Perhaps I'll choose to laugh at Greg when he's in Chicago and

>looking for a good room rate. No, not perhaps, I will. How

>shallow and disappointing.

>

Hey ChgoBoy, do you ever say anything nice about people????

• Members

>< I laugh at the suckers buying the gas.

>

> >Hugs,

>>Greg

>>Palm Springs April 28-29

>

>Wow. As one of the "suckers" that own a car that

>does requires gas to operate, I find Greg's laughter chilling

>and very disappointing. Perhaps I'll choose to laugh at Greg

>when he's in Chicago and looking for a good room rate as

>apposed to those inflated beyond reason. No, not perhaps, I

>will. How shallow and disappointing. Suddenly, Greg, has lost

>his connection to those of us who live in the real world and

>pay for that reality....how sad for us all.

>

I haven't lost reality with the real world. I just choose not to own a gass guzzeling car and play the game of the gas folk. Besides there are much better things I can think of to guzzel down }(

Hugs,

Greg

Palm Springs April 28-29

Guest ChgoBoy

>Hey ChgoBoy, do you ever say anything nice about people????

I do all the time, when the opportunity presents itself. But when I'm called a "sucker" by someone who cannot understand the financial impact of buying gas and who does not buy gas because they probably can't aford to buy a car, I'll speak my mind. Why do YOU find my comments so offensive? Don't you buy gas? And if you do, do you like being called a sucker for doing it? And if you don't, then you really should stick to commenting on the young boys you spend your money on and not my gas.

Guest ChgoBoy

>I haven't lost reality with the real world. I just choose not

>to own a gass guzzeling car and play the game of the gas folk.

>Besides there are much better things I can think of to guzzel

>down }(

>

>Hugs,

>Greg

>Palm Springs April 28-29

Well good for you Greg. You haven't lost touch with us folk that need to buy gas, but you look upon us as being "suckers" for having to buy it. How disingenuous of you. Suddenly Greg, you've lost your endearing virtues.

• Members

If I wanted a car I would get one. But luckily my town at least gets it half assed right on public transportation and in my neighborhood everything is within walking distance. For those that complain about gas prices there are alternatives and if the alternatives are few or their city just doesn't get it then maybe they need to lobby their politicians and fight for better public transportation.

Hugs,

Greg

Palm Springs April 28-29

Guest jessedane

Much agreed! Mass transit is the way to go whenever possible.

If "living in the real world" means spending lots of money, guzzling gas and harming the environment then I'm happy to not be a part of it.

Get over yourself Chgoboy.

Guest ChgoBoy

>Much agreed! Mass transit is the way to go whenever

>possible.

I completly agree here and use CTA whenever possible.

>

>If "living in the real world" means spending lots of

>money, guzzling gas and harming the environment then I'm happy

>to not be a part of it.

But you are Jesse, you are, whether you want to admit it or not. Everything you purchase where ever you shop, was delivered to your point of purchase by an oil operated vehicle. Everything. So, if what you are saying is that you don't do these things, like buy food, order pizza delivered, buy new clothes etc., then my props to you for taking a stand. Otherwise, just because you don't suffer the costs directly at the pump, don't ever think that you don't pay for it in every other part of your daily life. You do.

>Get over yourself Chgoboy.

Thanks. It's good to see you're feeling better about things......

• Members

Neither Exxon or Mobile have stations in my area, so I guess we can just keep on buying here at $3.00(+) per gallon.

I heard a better suggestion... that if everyone would reduce their consumption by 3% supplies would drop and so would prices. We are spoiled and don't pay as high a price as many other countires.

• Members

These gas prices leave me breathless!! I could no longer afford the 500 mile a week commute that I trekked for 24 years. Now I drive less than 5 miles a week on average. Thank god.

But not to worry, I still get screwed to the wall for propane and electricity which are the highest ever!! ;(

The interesting thing... I still see SUVs rolling off the lines and out of the new car lots. I wonder how high is high enough before this trend slows to a trickle. I can't imagine burning $100 a week to fill my tank.

We had better get our ass in gear perfecting coal gasification and hydrogen fuel or this economy will be screwed eventually. We are up to our ass in coal and water. Nothing else seems practical for the big picture.

Oil is very problematic -- logistically and politically even if there is enough to meet demand. I dont see a return back toward what was ' normal' as long as Iraq and Iran are political issues and as long as they remain so then Venezuela can be a real added irritant also. With China and India on the horizon, it is not sure that demand can be met in the future, even without the logistics and politics issues.

We can drill in ANWAR and off the Flroida Gulf Coast and I support that but, in reality, those are short term band aids -- burps to relieve some of the pressure temporarily.

We wasted the last 30 years when we got our first wake up call on this issue. Can we afford to sleep through this second call?

Our work force is distributed away from work centers. That cannot change overnight. Higher fuel costs have impacted salaries and prices and this is going to get worse. City residential prices will skyrocket above already stratospheric prices as people try to locate closer. This is likely to cause an increase in telecommuting for those businesses and employees that can accommodate it. For the others... they are screwed for now.

Someone please post an optimistic view for balance.

Guest Conway

There are some answers. Cadillac has developed an in seat cooling technology that will allow its cars to run without airconditioning except in the most brutally hot weather. Experts estimate that, if every car on American highways had the use of this technology, the United States' annual gasoline consumption would drop by approximately 7%.

I also favor drilling in the ANWR and Gulf of Mexico to provide some relief to our immediate needs. I'm not sure that our politicans have the fortitude to allow this. Republicans are largely in bed with oil companies that are reaping huge profits as a result of increasing gas prices and Democrats are in bed with environmentalists who are adamantly opposed to drilling in Alaska and the Gulf in order to take advantage of our own national resources.

I have heard professional estimates that indicate that the Candian Oil Sands can produce enough oil to sustain us for another 100 years at our present consumption levels. However, the cost of processing and refining that oil is very expensive and would result is $5 gas in today's dollars.

Even if we start drilling in ANWR or the Gulf today, it would be approximately two years before the first gallon of gas from those efforts make it to market. In hindsight, it was a big mistake for Congress to refuse the president's proposal to start drilling in the ANWR three years ago. If that proposal was approved, we would be reaping the enefit of alaskan oil right now.

In an intermediate and long term analysis, it is essential for Congress to provide US auto manufacturers with tax incentives to develop, first, reliable hybrid cars that can run on gas, ethanol or natural gas, then reliable electric cars that will free us from oil dependency all together.

The NY Times has an interesting article today documenting how the Air Force is working to develop coal resources into a viable fuel for our fighter jets. Perhaps that is an idea whose time has come.

• Members

>There are some answers. Cadillac has developed an in seat

>cooling technology that will allow its cars to run without

>airconditioning except in the most brutally hot weather.

>Experts estimate that, if every car on American highways had

>the use of this technology, the United States' annual gasoline

>consumption would drop by approximately 7%.

>

I haven't heard of this. Interesting new development. However, having driven in the South and Southwest I cannot imagine how a seat could cool the ambient cabin air without giving my ass a case of frostbite. :P

This cooling cannot be energy free either. It must be powered by the primary engery source for the car. Still, it will be interesting to see how this develops and if it is an affordable option to most.