Guest Oliver

Oliver’s Travels – Rio – November 2006 - #2 11/14/06

“Singing in the Rain” – I know that most of Brazil is a rain forest and that it is Spring here – but one sunny day in eight days? If Spring showers bring Summer flowers, it will be so lush with blooms here, everything will be a riot of color.

Saturday afternoon Gene (aka J) and Donald (aka Oliver) strolled to Copacabana beach, through an open bazaar, and on to observe the beautiful men sporting on the beach in spite of a few sprinkles. Took a few pictures of some playing a form of volleyball/soccer – played like volleyball, but no use of hands allowed – feet, heads, knees, and chests (yummm). I do like the bathing suits here! Had a light lunch of soup, bread, and beer across from the beach at Maxim’s. leisurely stroll back to the hotel, where I try my computer in J’s room, and it works! Rene at the front desk says will take care of tomorrow. Meanwhile J must learn how to open doors. Dinner later with J’s special man joining us and I am envious.

Sunday begins with a smorgasbord of a breakfast, and attended to by Sheila. Afterward the hotel suggests changing rooms to handle the computer problem, but the manager fixes the hub, and I don’t have to move. I then can ascertain that my Buckeyes are still in a winning mode and The Game with “the team up north” next Saturday (for which I must be home!) will pit two undefeateds. GO BUCKS!!!

Again it’s raining (not heavily) and I decide to revisit Pointe 202 on my own after dinner. Good decision! I soon meet Fabio (Pit Bull) and his name is right on. He is shorter than I (maybe 5’ 7 or 8”) but muscles all over! And he really knows how to kiss (among other things!). We spend a longer than usual time upstairs. He’s almost (!) more than I can handle, but I manage … lol. Well spent, I return to the Atlantico for the needed rest.

Monday after another great breakfast, the sun is actually shining for a while and we decide to visit Petropolis. We engage Marcello again for the trip in his Jeep. (Too bad he doesn’t play for our team – he’s gorgeous!) Of course, as we go up into the mountains, the weather returns to its usual bent. Up into the clouds, but the views are spectacular – so lush and green. Petropolis is a beautiful city with a distinct European flavor. Because it was built as Don Pedro II’s summer home, the architecture is beautiful with many colorful and palatial homes, many of which have been restored and are now used for businesses (Microsoft has one that looks like a stone castle). We visit a grand art-deco hotel with enormous chandeliers, ballrooms, and a night club. The cathedral of Sao Pedro Alencar has beautiful stained-glass windows (but then, most cathedrals do). We see the house where Santo Mundo (sp?), a contemporary of Thomas Edison, lived. After a delicious late lunch at Falconi’s (Italian) we head back, but not before stopping at Patrone’s chocolate factory! We are offered a few samples - we have to buy! We find upon returning to Rio that (gasp!) it has rained there, too. We have a light supper and I make myself scarce so that J has time with his beautiful man. I ready myself to see what Estacio is like, but as I am about to leave, it’s pouring! An hour later it still is and I give up. Use the sauna and Jacuzzi in the suite instead – not the same, but satisfying.

Tuesday morning and guess what –it’s raining – who would have thought. At least it is warmer, but I’m going to return home as the same “snowbird” as I left. I was supposed to get some color here! Of course, the weather report shows sun Friday on into next week and I’ll be on my way home. I think I’ll have a barber shave – never had one before. And J’s sweet man has left me a box of candy. Will try for Estacio again tonight.

But in spite of the rain – RELAX – it’s Rio, and I am having fun!

:D

• Members

Oliver,

Sorry the weather isn't cooperating. ;( I hope the weatherman is wrong and things clear up before your departure.

The sightseeing remains very worthwhile though. And on the up side, the guys always seem cooperative whatever the weather. }(

Thanks for keeping us posted. It's fun to read about your experiences.

TY

Thanks so much for your posting! It's raining here in SF too but not like Rio--I miss it so much and reading your posts just got me going again. And in Petropolis, you visited the house of Santos Dumont, a pioneer of aviation and the pilot of the first observed artifiicial flight. (The Wright Brothers flew in secret and only revealed their flight to others years later. This is why some Brazilians to this day say that Santos Dumont ivented the airplane. But he did invent the shower and the wristwatch.) Anyway, I'll be in Rio in January and hope I have as much fun as you did! SF Traveler

Guest jackhammer91406

Hope you had a good time buddy.

I can tell you the reason you never got into Estacao. It is closed and will not reopen. Junior apparently has another partner in a new venture that he hopes to have open by Christmas. but it will not be in that location according to sources here.

It is to be a club that rivals the best gay clubs in town.

Corujinhas is now like visiting the the Dead Zone. Last night there were few patrons and fewer boys.

For those who have met him in the past, Eduardo is now the VJ at Pointe

Hope you had a good flight home. Sheila, Nilton and the rest asked for you this morning.

BTW it's hot and sunny today. heheh

>I can tell you the reason you never got into Estacao. It is

>closed and will not reopen.

Tell me it's not true! :-( First Roger's and now Estação. Two of my favorites. Please don't let Spazio fold, too.

Dick