TotallyOz

Dogs and Leaving Gay Thailand

Traveling with Pets is a ROYAL pain in the ass. I have 3 dogs that are puppies. They are adorable and the sweetest things on earth. I didn't realize how difficult they were going to be to travel with.

First, there is an air cargo embargo July 1, through Sept 15 that prohibits all animals from being below in cargo on NWA/KLM flights. The only option is to have them in the cabin with you. As my dogs are small enough, they were able to ride with me. However, as I had 3 of them, you are only allowed to take 2 with you. There is usually a but. But, you can take 3 if you buy an extra seat for the other one. That is what I did.

I arranged everything with NWA and had all my documents in hand. I arrived at the airport on time and was told that I did not have an export license. I needed one to take the dogs out of the county. As I was at the airport, I wanted to board and tried everything possible. I called the Platinum Elite Line who had a record of our conversation that I had all documents required. They were the ones that told me what to get from the Vet and I had overlying in a binder ready to board. The NWA agent at Bangkok could not let them through customs. Therefore, I was denied entry to the plane. I had to wait 2 days until the Animal Quarantine Station opened. It is at Customs Terminal 2 at Bangkok Airport, Floor 3, and room 308.

You must take with you all information on the dogs including all vaccines and rabies shots. You must also have a letter from your doctor about the health of the animals. I had it all.

Or, so I thought. The doctor in Pattaya had not put one date on the vaccine for one animal. All the dates were the same for all animals but that date was not there. Luckily, I had a driver from Phon and Gems Car Service that told me what was needed, called the Vet and faxed into the office. They received the fax and the vet visit began. Another guy came over and said the fax said my dog was a poodle and it was a Maltese. So, the driver had to call the Vet again and have them refax the document. If I had not had an English-speaking driver, I would have been dead in the water. The guy from Phons was a real Gem. He was wonderful and helpful and helped me make it through a 5 days day in Bangkok.

The office hours say the animal control center is open from 10 till 4:30. That is correct. However, if you go between 12 and 1, it is closed for lunch.

Every paper has to be there, ever t crossed and every i dotted. If you miss one thing, you won't get approved for export. A vet checks the animal and takes a picture of you with each animal. You fill out papers in triplicate. After all that is done, they do the paperwork and then you pay 50baht per animal and get the Export License. It is a long day. There were people in and out in 1 hour. Some were longer. Anyone that had anything missing from paperwork was sent away.

We were allowed to board the next day. NWA/KLM were amazing with the dogs. They even upgraded me free to Business Class and let my dogs go too. I was so happy.

Guest Hedda

I suppose that after what you went through with the boys in Pattaya, that travelling with three dogs as companions was a welcome relief.

I hope we don't hear next that one of the little darlings bit you in Barcelona.

Guest mauRICE

I suppose that after what you went through with the boys in Pattaya, that travelling with three dogs as companions was a welcome relief.

I hope we don't hear next that one of the little darlings bit you in Barcelona.

Woof! :lol::lol::lol:

Yes and no. They were much easier to deal with on an emotional level. They were much more needy on a time level. It is not easy to find good hotels that accept pets. Actually, it is a pain in ass. I am in Canada at the end of the month and have found that The W hotels have wonderful services for pets and even provide pet walking, pet sitting and treats for the animals.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promotions/p...?category=WPETS

I never thought a hotel would offer a dog bed in the room, but I guess the world has changed a lot over time. :)

Guest xstreamlove

GayThailand let me know if you are back in the USA (NYC area) would love to meet for a chat and drinks and pick your brain about Thailand.

Have a great time on your trip. :D