TownsendPLocke

Air Travel-what a pain in the ass

• Members

And not in a good way

Last weekend my 1 hour flight turned into a 4 hour flight.

I am now running at 85 percent delayed flights for the year-and over half of these are over three hour delays.

I like flying,I adore traveling.But you know-with the airlines cutting routes and services,nikcle and diming even those of us with FF status-it just is not any fun at all anymore.

The Airlines main business is getting me from point A to point B in a reasonable amount of time.That is what I am paying for.I might get from point A to B but they are certainly not getting me there in a reasonable amount of time.

I would ask any of you who share my frustration to join(or at least check out) http://www.flyersrights.com/ we need to call for some action from the airlines.Join me in telling the airlines ENOUGH!

I share your frustrations, but unless I’m willing to buy into NetJet or similar I have no delusions that it will get any better in my lifetime. I’ve had hundreds of thousands (most likely into seven figures) of flying miles over the years, and have concluded that unless you’re willing to buy first or business class every time, you are part of the cattle that the airlines are transporting.

I’ve done everything to ease the pain of traveling (including first and business class), but until they perfect teleportation (you remember “The Flyâ€, don’t you?), it will always remain a hassle.

Resignation is my approach. You pack, you plan, and expect the worst, and if it works out, you’re ahead. As much as I love being in new places and experiencing new cultures, as I grow older, I question if it’s worth it. More and more I’m saying no.

To all you younger guys I say, enjoy – but brace yourselves.

(Meanwhile, I have a 6AM flight in a couple of days). :o

I'm a guy who traveled on business for years, sometimes as much as three weeks a month every month in the 90s. Before 9/11, even despite the drudgery of my week to week travel, I considered airline travel a luxury- something that most folks treated themselves too.

Now, its like riding a Trailways bus. On nearly every flight I fly, the coach cabin is packed to the gills with miserable humanity, elbow to elbow, bellies overlapping into my personal/seat space, screaming children in tow.

Just this week, I took a day hop between Chicago and Denver and treated myself to a first class upgrade on United as my frequent flier miles and status were long ago wiped out by bankruptcy courts.

The meal that they served wasn't even worthy of what they used to serve in coach- a horrible turkey sandwich warmed to the point of creating salmonella concerns for me and some cous cous salad in a cup. It looked so bad, I opted to eat at Sonic (??!!) once I hit the ground. On the positive side, the vodka tonics were awfully good ( and still gratis) on the flight home.

The attendants couldn't have been nicer (and gayer). However, they certainly didn't offer the level of service that I was once used to on these flights.

It is really true that we've gone from class to walmart in the sky.

Business travel offices have mandates to go cheap-cheap. Leisure travelers shop by fare. Economies of scale dictate that a vendor trying to differentiate on comfort is going to have a very tough road.

Maybe someday I'll win the lottery and be able to get netjets.