TownsendPLocke

Buy.com sent me a "recertified"HDTV instead of the new one i ordered

• Members

They have apologized for their error.Buy.com says the price $299 is actually the correct price for the item,a Vizio 26 in. Hdtv-recertified,but they left out the recertified bit in the original listing.

They are offering a $50 credit if I keep the item as an apology-or a full refund if I return it.

Sooooo would you buy a recertified Vizio 26 in. HDTV for $249?Should I return it?

I am actually thinking about contacting them to see if we could sweeten the deal by adding a 2 year warranty

A quick google of prices tells me 299 for a 26" is a pretty good price. knock another $50 off and it's hard to beat.

My guess is that you're not going to do better because nobody on the other end will care enough about it to really negotiate, they'll just say send it back. Though I guess the corollary is that there's no harm in trying either. Asking for a warranty since you don't know what may have been done to it is fair, assuming they normally offer them. Personally, that's more effort than I would put in on a $250 TV. By the time it breaks, buying a new one is probably a much better deal than getting it fixed.

• Members

I agree if it breaks after a year or two, buying something new very likely would make sense. However, and I don't ordinarily recommend buying extended warranties, but for now I think the exception is HD TV's. I certainly would ask them to sweeten the deal with any extension of their ordinary warranty. If you consider purchasing a warranty there are sites easily Googled with relative inexpensvie ones compared to any offered at a store. Also, some credit cards, Chase comes to mind, offer to extend the manufacuturer's warranty by a year if you use their card to purchase the item. More than one way to skin a cat.

Best regards,

RA1