TownsendPLocke

An historic-but also bittersweet day

• Members

Today was a milestone in the history of The United states of America as we welcomed our 44th President.

However as I listened to the speeches and the ceramony I was reminded of how impregnated with the hoodoo voodoo of religion our country has become.And that it is not enough to have intellegence and speak well-one must also cave in to a small group of folks who scream loudly-but really carry little weight.

I look forward to the day when the USA elects an Atheist or an open Agnostic to the highest office of this land-freeing us at last from that yoke of tyranny that is organized religion!

I'm with you on that.

I'm tired of hearing we need to respect people's beliefs. It's a free country. Believe whatever you want, but if you're going to profess that the creator of the entire universe turned himself into a jewish carpenter so that he could kill himself so that he could forgive the world for being disobedient, I'm entitled to think you're a bit of an idiot.

Fill in the blank for other varieties of god delusions.

“We cannot help but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass; that the lines of tribe shall soon dissolve.†- President Obama, January 20, 2009.

I would of liked to go to DC for the inaugural, but its about a month too early than when I usually go travel. I can imagine all the out-of towners would of made for some good biz in a overall quiet January.

Guest BewareofNick

I enjoyed the part where the crowd booed Bush as he left, chanting " Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah...hey hey goodbye..."

Of course, only one network went live when Bush landed in Texass....guess which one?

Although Obama did acknowledge in his inaugural address "non-believers". It was the first time ever that group has been mentioned. It continues his inclusive approach to all people.

I enjoyed the part where the crowd booed Bush as he left, chanting " Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah...hey hey goodbye..."

Yeah, that shows real class. I could never imagine doing any such thing to a Democrat if he was leaving office and i was in the crowd. The commander in chief of our country deserves our respect if he is of the same political persuasion as us or not.

I'm an American first and a Republican second.

Guest BewareofNick
Yeah, that shows real class. I could never imagine doing any such thing to a Democrat if he was leaving office and i was in the crowd. The commander in chief of our country deserves our respect if he is of the same political persuasion as us or not.

I'm an American first and a Republican second.

Funny how Republicans never showed Bill Clinton that respect.

You are correct though that it was not the appropriate time or place for it, even though it was well deserved.

Funny how Republicans never showed Bill Clinton that respect.

You are correct though that it was not the appropriate time or place for it, even though it was well deserved.

I think that's the point that I was trying to make. No matter how much you dislike the politician in the office, showing a lack of respect of that nature for the office itself is completely unacceptable. This isn't a college basketball game, it is the inauguration of the President of The United States of America. It's a real shame that so many people don't seem to understand the different behavior that is appropriate for those two distinct events.

Guest BewareofNick
I think that's the point that I was trying to make. No matter how much you dislike the politician in the office, showing a lack of respect of that nature for the office itself is completely unacceptable. This isn't a college basketball game, it is the inauguration of the President of The United States of America. It's a real shame that so many people don't seem to understand the different behavior that is appropriate for those two distinct events.

Unfortunately, sometimes the crowd gets out of control. Bush did receive a loving welcome home to Texas by the crowd there at the airport. of course, only one network carried Bush's arrival in Texas live...Fox "News". Everyone else was either on the inaugural or back to regular programming.

There is a fine line between respecting the office and respecting its holder.

One of the great things about this republic is that we can shout "boo" at our leaders and get away with it. It may be boisterous and rude, but it is free. And of course, you're free to think those who do so are base. (I'm of mixed minds on it, and don't know what I would have done if I'd been there.)

It's funny where various people draw the line. I've watched English Parliament a few times and am always a bit flabbergasted by the caterwauling that goes on. You expect a food fight or a fist fight to break out any moment. I always find it shockingly rude, but I guess it's normal to them.