TotallyOz

4 Little Words

I have not found this documented but was told that immigration law may change to allow those with significant relationships with lovers overseas to allow their partner to immigrate. Has anyone seen information about this online? I was told that Obama would sign it into law quietly and go into effect. Anyone?

• Members

"The UAFA (Uniting American Families Act) is a bill before Congress that would make a small change to existing immigration law to close a loophole barring gay and lesbian Americans in committed relationships with foreign partners from sponsoring their partner for a green card. These same-sex binational couples are denied the right that opposite-sex couples have been afforded for decades the right to legally keep their families together in the United States."

This is not so quiet - it has been around a few years, and originally defeated in the 108th Congress (2003/2005). The proposed bill replaces the word "spouse" with "permanent partner" in the existing immigration law. While the bill has support in the House and Senate, not enough to be put to another vote and get passed, at least not yet - it has been referred to the "Judiciary Committee".

The current status in the House of Representatives:

"H.R.2221

Title: To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate discrimination in the immigration laws by permitting permanent partners of United States citizens and lawful permanent residents to obtain lawful permanent resident status in the same manner as spouses of citizens and lawful permanent residents and to penalize immigration fraud in connection with permanent partnerships.

Sponsor: Rep Nadler, Jerrold [NY-8] (introduced 5/8/2007) Cosponsors (118)

Related Bills: S.1328

Latest Major Action: 6/25/2007 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Immigration, Citizenship, Refugees, Border Security, and International Law."

And the current status in the Senate:

"S.1328

Title: A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate discrimination in the immigration laws by permitting permanent partners of United States citizens and lawful permanent residents to obtain lawful permanent resident status in the same manner as spouses of citizens and lawful permanent residents and to penalize immigration fraud in connection with permanent partnerships.

Sponsor: Sen Leahy, Patrick J. [VT] (introduced 5/8/2007) Cosponsors (18)

Related Bills: H.R.2221

Latest Major Action: 5/8/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary."

So it still needs to garner enough support to even be put to a vote again in the House and Senate - assuming it does get put to a vote and assuming it gets passed, I would hope President Obama would sign it.

The skeptic in me says that this will float around in committees and not be put to a vote in the foreseeable future so that many politicians continue to pretend to support gay equality rights but not actually be put to the test of having to vote on it and be on record as supporting gay equality...... I hope I am proven wrong.