Guest FourAces

NY TIMES Travel Review

Guest FourAces

Many know that my hometown is San Diego. Some also know that I lived in Dallas for 2 years and no one in these parts knows where I live these days :lol:

I acknowledge when I first moved to Dallas there was a culture shock factor. After living most of my life in So Cal and Las Vegas I was hardly prepared for the flat land, bizarre weather and some of the most confusing road signs I've ever seen in the states.

Yet I soon learned that Dallas is a charming metropolitan area with exceptional sport teams, arts, theaters and dining. The people are friendly very down to earth and unaffected by the cult of personality found in NYC or Los Angeles.

So when I saw that the New York Times had written a story about the city I was anxious to read all the good stuff ... I was in for a real surprise; 36 Hours In Dallas was quite underwhelming http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/trave...llas&st=cse

Certainly this writer must have had another city in mind when writing the story or is it just arrogance I wondered. Arrogance it must be I decided.

After reading the above review(click link) for a reality check I suggest this exceptional response, "Yankee Spends 36 Hours in Dallas, Writes Idiotic Review," which can be read at the following link: http://www.nbcdfw.com/around_town/the_scen...tic-Review.html

Guest zachary

will read ur article, but dallas if a fun town, but funny too. lot of culture there and in ft worth if u want

it.

my favorite post card, they still sold them a few years ago, pic of jfk and the school book depository in the background, big postcard, with the caption, First Shot, Second Shot, Third Shot.

Guest JasonCarter

That article was too much...besides the fact that JR's has no dance floor! ^_^ And there is much better tex-mex in the city than the overpriced small portions they serve at La Duni and Trece. NBC 5 did a good job on the rebuttal! Sounds like this writer had an agenda or bad tour guides...

- Jason Carter - Dallas, TX

- jasoncarter53@hotmail.com

- (972) 365-0120

Many know that my hometown is San Diego. Some also know that I lived in Dallas for 2 years and no one in these parts knows where I live these days :lol:

I acknowledge when I first moved to Dallas there was a culture shock factor. After living most of my life in So Cal and Las Vegas I was hardly prepared for the flat land, bizarre weather and some of the most confusing road signs I've ever seen in the states.

Yet I soon learned that Dallas is a charming metropolitan area with exceptional sport teams, arts, theaters and dining. The people are friendly very down to earth and unaffected by the cult of personality found in NYC or Los Angeles.

So when I saw that the New York Times had written a story about the city I was anxious to read all the good stuff ... I was in for a real surprise; 36 Hours In Dallas was quite underwhelming http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/trave...llas&st=cse

Certainly this writer must have had another city in mind when writing the story or is it just arrogance I wondered. Arrogance it must be I decided.

After reading the above review(click link) for a reality check I suggest this exceptional response, "Yankee Spends 36 Hours in Dallas, Writes Idiotic Review," which can be read at the following link: http://www.nbcdfw.com/around_town/the_scen...tic-Review.html

• Members

36 hours in a major city? That isn't nearly enough time to get a good feel of the city, it's people, the yummy food and the culture of it all. I have yet to go to Dallas so I can't say if it is great or not but I would never judge a city with only being there for 36 hours.

36 hours in a major city? That isn't nearly enough time to get a good feel of the city, it's people, the yummy food and the culture of it all. I have yet to go to Dallas so I can't say if it is great or not but I would never judge a city with only being there for 36 hours.

If you had been there, you would never call Dallas a "major city". It's a pompous place, but without any merit.

Guest mineallmine

36 hours is defineatly not enough time to get a feel for a cities culture, entertainment, food, or lodging. I think its best when visiting a new place to give it atleast a weekend so you can get out and do some interestign things. It is to bad the writer made a judgement call based on 36 hours! the rebuttal was great defineatly amusing!

Guest FourAces
If you had been there, you would never call Dallas a "major city". It's a pompous place, but without any merit.

Really? How so? Are you confusing the city with the TV series :lol:

If gambling was legal I would have had no issues remaining a resident of Dallas.

In fact I visit several friends there often.