seaboy4hire

Internet radio

• Members

Right now I am listening to the radio online. I can't listen to regular radio because there are a few huge communication tours kitty corner from my apt and it just mucks up listening to traditional radio. The site that I am listening to right now and am thinking is the cats meow is www.pandora.com You just type in an artist (with today's selection I use that loosely) or song and it'll play from that group plus similar sounding *cough* artists. Right now I typed in Billie Holiday, listened to a bit of her and some Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington , Louie and Sarah Vaughan. What a lovely evening at home, staying warm and listening to some great tunes from some never to be repeated legends.

Hugs,

Greg

• Members

How ironic! I have fun with Pandora from time to time (try Bach and Wagner sometime). but if I'm working around and want something - classical - playing that I don't have to think about I dial up KING.com out of Seattle when I can get WQXR on the radio here in New York. KING's weather and traffic reports remind me of my pleasant visits there. karl

Guest mineallmine

I LOVE Pandora.com I usually always have it on. Its really great cause you can listen to alot of british artists like duffy, adele, rosilin murphy. I also just entered some french music into mine so thats been popping up. I think the best part for me is the referal option...I have discovered so many other artist because of the similar songs that pandora suggest. The only bad part about pandora it seems is they get stuck in one phase alot of times. I know I have put in bilie holiday, ella fitzgerald, aretha franklin, etta james...but have not heard them in a long time.

• Members
I LOVE Pandora.com I usually always have it on. Its really great cause you can listen to alot of british artists like duffy, adele, rosilin murphy. I also just entered some french music into mine so thats been popping up. I think the best part for me is the referal option...I have discovered so many other artist because of the similar songs that pandora suggest. The only bad part about pandora it seems is they get stuck in one phase alot of times. I know I have put in bilie holiday, ella fitzgerald, aretha franklin, etta james...but have not heard them in a long time.

We should swap ipod's sometime cause it looks like you and I have great taste in music. I just listened to Adele the other night and was amazed at how well she sounded and didn't look like some put together pop princess ala Britney. And I LOVE Duffy! I saw her this last fall here in Seattle and she sounds just as good live as she does on cd. And that black guartist is quite lickable and more too. It was hard deciding if I wanted to watch Duffy or him *eg*

Hugs,

Greg

I listen to NPR streaming at work, but have never tried this "make your own radio station"

Have you got a link for NPR streaming? (I've checked out their site, but have never quite been able to figure out what it is I'm hearing or when it was originally broadcast). I'd be interested in hearing Morning Edition (which isn't available via radio broadcast where I'm located), but I'd like to get it at the time it originally airs, which I believe begins at 7:00 am EST.

As to Pandora, it's not available outside of the U.S., unfortunately.

• Members

So it was announced today that Sirrius is going to file bankruptcy.This is,of course,after the spent millions to aquire their competition XM-a move that was(wrongly IMO)Ok'd by the Bush apointed FCC.

So I am wondering-how long till we get Internet access as an option in cars?I see this as the future of radio and would love to have this available.

Guest mineallmine

Yes I read that Sirrius was filing bankruptcy to. Internet access on the radio in the car...that would make typing interesting! Look mom no hands! Hopefully it would be voice controlled. Or there is always road rage when you get out of signal range.

Greg would be more then happy to share my radio station with you! It is such a mish mosh of stuff right now. I am trying to weed some things out of it!

http://www.npr.org/templates/stations/stations/

lets you look up stations on-line streams.

I listen to Oregon Public Broadcasting's stream at:

http://www.opb.org/programs/streams/

I disagree about the sirius/xm merger being bad, I think this bankruptcy proves it. They weren't competing with each other, they were competing with regular and HD radio, ipods and the like. If there were still separate, this would have happened even earlier.