MsGuy

New approach to HIV vacine works in monkey trials

• Members

Researchers at the Children's Hospital of Philedelphia (CHOP) may have made a breakthrough in the search for an effective AIDS vaccine. As near as I can translate the medical/scientific jargon, what follows is what they've done:

Using SIV (the simian version of HIV) as a model, they gene modified an adeno virus to code for known SIV specific antibodies. The researchers then utilized the modified virus as a gene transfer agent by injecting it into the muscle tissue of monkeys. Muscle cells took up the modified virus and began expressing (manufacturing) the antibodies. The circulatory system picked up the antibodies and passively carried them throughout the body. The presence of the antibodies conferred a complete immunity in the monkeys even against the injection of virulent SIV. This approach essentially bypassed the monkeys' natural immune system. See Nature.com (medical section) for a summary of the publication.

Maybe I'm just desperate for good news, but this strikes me as an extremely promising new approach with implications beyond the AIDS virus. I hope some of our M.D./science types will correct anything I've misinterpeted.