Guest BKKvisitor

Thai Street Food

Guest BKKvisitor

(From National Public Radio's "Living on Earth" program)

Food blogger Pim Techamuanvivit remembers the natural food packaging of her childhood in Thailand. She laments that plastic, styrofoam and staples have increasingly taken the place of natural containers such as banana leaf and bamboo tubes.

http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm?prog...amp;segmentID=5

Guest jomtiened

I don't really mean to be bitchy, but I am beginning to understand why so many of the responses on this message board are so bitchy. What does this post have to do with Gay Thailand? Can anyone post something meaningful, rather than copy and paste stuff from Thai newspapers?

Guest BKKvisitor

Dear Jomi,

I know you don't intend to be "bitchy" so I decided to read your contributions to the board since you joined: here's a synopsis:

(1) A complaint about posters who responded to a request for info on Pattaya.

(2) A request for information on Hans restaurant in Pattaya.

(3) A for sale notice of a "stunning" Pattaya condo.

(4) A complaint about a restaurant that didn't handle the VAT in a manner you favored.

(5) A complaint about the outrageous charges for holiday meals in Bangkok.

(6)The advantages of a multiple entry visa.

(7) An unfavorable review of the Pinnacle Hotel.

It's clear that my contributions pale in comparison.

Guest BKKvisitor
I don't really mean to be bitchy, but I am beginning to understand why so many of the responses on this message board are so bitchy. What does this post have to do with Gay Thailand? Can anyone post something meaningful, rather than copy and paste stuff from Thai newspapers?

Jomi

For the record, the topic of this thread was not taken from a Thai newspaper. It's linked to a National Public Radio program. I know that may have been difficult to determine because it was in the first line of the post.

Since I'm a moderator here, and I'm the one who does most of the moderating, the Complaint Department is me. I suppose I could be strict about which posts are appropriate on the gay forum and which posts ought to be on the "beer bar" forum, but I haven't moved any of them for two reasons.

One is that different people have different ideas as to what belongs on the gay forum. It has not been our policy to restrict the gay forum to posts regarding only gay venues and boys. Our policy is that the gay forum includes posts and news items that are of interest to the gay community. In my opinion, there may be a few posts that would have been better placed on the "beer bar" forum, but by and large most of these posts are of interest to the gay community as a whole.

The second reason I haven't moved any of them is because I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. If I move them, then I end up criticized for being too restrictive and being a "control freak." If I don't move them, I end up criticized for leaving them alone.

Since no matter what I do, somebody doesn't like what I do, then I'm leaving the forum placement of posts mostly to the discretion of those who write the posts. It wouldn't hurt anything for people to re-read the posting rules, but I just don't see this as an issue important enough to start creating a new fuss about it.

Guest pingalicker

I for one enjoyed the article on Thai street food, and hope to see more post along these lines, and also gay subject post. The only problem I have with this post is it made me very hungry for Thai street food!

Guest xiandarkthorne

I love Thai street food, too! Especially the hot, coconut milky delights available further south. And I love the fried grasshoppers and fried worms at Patpong...and some day I am going to go to Chiengmai or Issan and try the fried scorpions and spiders there. Seriously! What a pity nobody has started a stall selling those at Patpong yet.

Xian

PS

Is it my imagination or is there a certain category of posters from I-am-not-going-to-mention-where who cannot help themselves even when there is nothing for them to comment on (except to try and relate the most innocent of posts to how "bad" poor GB is)? I notice the same name(s) at Tingtong, too.