TotallyOz

Google Translate App AMAZING

The app is free to download and it is amazing. If you speak into the phone in English, it will then translate it back to Portuguese. It is very accurate and I am sure will only get better with time.

I have been using it in Thailand with Thai guys but I ran into a Brazilian lad here who is visiting and we chatted. I used it to chat with him it I was very impressed with the translation. Anyone else used this new app?

• Members

Google Translate on Android will now perform real-time, automated audio translation for conversations between English and Spanish speakers, Google announced in a blog post today.

The service is just beginning and is reported to be very experimental. Franz Och, head of Google's translation services, said in February of 2010 that this new service should "work reasonably well in a few years' time." Given the wide range of languages, accents and intonations in the world, we probably shouldn't expect this to be much more than a gimmick yet.

Guest lurkerspeaks

I just downloaded this app on my I-phone.. Surprisingly, it translated from English into Portuguese, the phrase "I want to suck your dick", but "I want to fuck" would not translate..so there are a few words which it censors out.. But "will you spend the night at my hotel" translates perfectly..

One question though...International data charges are extremely expensive with AT&T.. If this app is used on a USA Iphone in Brazil, would it require using international data and therefore run up a large phone bill?

Guest tomcal

One question though...International data charges are extremely expensive with AT&T.. If this app is used on a USA Iphone in Brazil, would it require using international data and therefore run up a large phone bill?

Lurker, I always add the Intern'l dialing plan and the 50MG data plan just before leaving on a trip and remove them after I get back. AT&T lets you do that and prorates it. The data Plan is $50. and it's enough to do your translations and check email for a week or better(just don't down load attachments/pic that are sent to you). Set your usage meter to zero when you leave the U.S. and that way you can track it each day to see how close you are getting to your limit. So far I haven't gone over! I started this about 2 years ago when I went with my first IPhone and got back to a $450. bill for data! the $50 plan really looked like a bargain after that! :-)

D

I have an unlocked Iphone and it works well when I travel. I did have issues on my last trip to Brazil with data as they don't want to give foreigners a Sim with unlimited data without taking an arm or leg. You have to have a CPF and other documents.

But, I use my phones in USA and Thailand and every other country I travel to. I just get a local SIM card and replace the ATT one. It works perfectly on the IPad as it is factory unlocked. You can also purchase factory unlocked IPhones in most Asian countries (Singapore phones or Hong Kong). And, when it is factory unlocked, that means you can update the software. I have a feeling that soon, all IPhones will be factory unlocked (as soon as the ATT and Apple marriage ends).